1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Interior and Recent Progress *lots of pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
54fever
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job! are you going to mount your battery on the firewall or are you going to use one of those inner fenderwells with the battery tray molded into it?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:41 PM
create
Senior User
i actually am going to get an optima yellow battery and mount it in right in the center of the cab behind the seat. The truck has a 1 piece fibreglass front end, which is why i am trying to keep everything out of the engine bay.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Looks really great!

Do you have an industrial sewing machine? How are you going to do the headliner/interior panels (back of cab)? I'm getting close to tackling that, have some ideas but would appreciate any ideas.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See, I told you that Home Depot carpet keeper works. Looks good

Old 12-06-2006, 10:48 PM
create
Senior User
Originally Posted by 53fatfndr
See, I told you that Home Depot carpet keeper works. Looks good
You are the man! I want to thank you for the advice, it turned out looking awesome. The home depot carpet keeper actually matches the lokar aluminum shift boot retainer to a T.

thanks again for the advice

Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
create
Senior User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Looks really great!

Do you have an industrial sewing machine? How are you going to do the headliner/interior panels (back of cab)? I'm getting close to tackling that, have some ideas but would appreciate any ideas.
My fiance has a really really nice sewing machine. BUT, you could do it pretty much on any machine. If you go to a fabric shop you can purchase "upholstery thread" which is thicker and a lot stronger than normal thread. This can be put onto any machine and used like normal.

That is what i did with the carpet.

ben

Old 12-07-2006, 12:02 AM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
Looks like you do nice work,,,,,,,,,an inspiration to us all

Old 12-07-2006, 08:29 AM
55FordLover
Elder User
Man,

Yours look better than mines....I still have some carpet left for underside of the dash....now that I have looked at yours, its going to get me at it this weekend AFTER I install my heater....too cold for no heat these days....I will use that tip for the carpet keepers though....never thought about using some material from Home Depot....i will post my updated pics soon....

Old 12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
wiseguy50
Junior User
i used a water heater wrap from home depot for my sound deadener. it works great and only cost 15.00 for a 25 ft roll which is plenty. i then duct taped the seams. the wrap has air bubbles in it but not to worry. with carpet installed you cant hear a thing. just my 2 cents.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by create
My fiance has a really really nice sewing machine. BUT, you could do it pretty much on any machine. If you go to a fabric shop you can purchase "upholstery thread" which is thicker and a lot stronger than normal thread. This can be put onto any machine and used like normal.

That is what i did with the carpet.

ben
My step mom has re-upholstered several vehicles and boats with a standard sewing maching using both vinyl and cloth. I have discussed the issue with her because I figured I'd have to make my own interior also. She just uses a standard sewing machine. She suggested to me to find one of the older Kenmore machines (that still had a metal case and gears) she said they are bullet proof and are more reliable than the Singers. I found a Kenmore at the flea market for $25. So far I haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with it, maybe after X-mas.

She just said to go slow in thick areas and areas with welting.

You can do it!
Bobby

Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 PM
wiseguy50
Junior User
if you use upholstery thread, you will need a larger needle to accept that thread

i reupholster for a living. you better make sure the needle will work in that machine.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
A note on sewing vinyl with a machine, set the machine to a longer stitch to keep from cutting the material. I found this out when I was making some panels for my Mack.

Jeff

Old 12-07-2006, 09:07 PM
create
Senior User
Originally Posted by wiseguy50
if you use upholstery thread, you will need a larger needle to accept that thread

i reupholster for a living. you better make sure the needle will work in that machine.
i did not know this, but again i didnt sew it up. My fiance did, and she sews a whole lot, im sure she used the right sized needle.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Looks like you do good work.I did mine this past August but left carpet in 1 piece near firewall till I figured how to finish it--and now I know!!!!!!!!I was pondering what to use for the door area-and used double face tape--it looks alright ,but I figure it will not stay for long.The alum.from H.DEPOT does the trick.Might employ that in my rig too.Do you have the patent rights to that?__HA HA!!!!tell me where to send my patent money!!!---nice 55---keep up the pics---they are educational----BILL

Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great attention to deal work; gives us all a ideal of what right looks like. Keep up the good work.
One can never stop learning from others progress...
Mitch

Quick Reply: Interior and Recent Progress *lots of pics*