6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

locking diff option not??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:48 AM
jaybird
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locking diff option not??

I'm getting my options together 4 ordering and just wanted to know if I'm not seeing a locking diff option.Will there be a locking diff available?
What is the fords so called "traction control" on the 2008 SD (new idea or not)?
Thanks.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:26 AM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
The 06 duramax has traction control when the shifter manually selects 2nd gear. Traction control is not new in general, but I think it is new to pickups in the last few years.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:44 AM
mattebury
Senior User
When I ordered my '08 350, there was no locking differential, only limited slip. I think that GM is the only one with a locker.

As for DSC, that's a computer system that intervenes when the vehicle is going into a slide (i.e. not in the direction your are steering it). It either applies power or braking to bring the vehicle back in line.

Check out this article on Wikipedia that explains what it does much better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

Last edited by mattebury; 12-09-2006 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-09-2006, 11:22 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
The 06 duramax has traction control when the shifter manually selects 2nd gear. Traction control is not new in general, but I think it is new to pickups in the last few years.
no really-

Did I ask for info about the 06 duramax traction control? NO!(EATON)
buzz off
I asked about the "2008 SD"

Old 12-09-2006, 11:30 PM
jaybird
Senior User
Originally Posted by mattebury
When I ordered my '08 350, there was no locking differential, only limited slip. I think that GM is the only one with a locker.

As for DSC, that's a computer system that intervenes when the vehicle is going into a slide (i.e. not in the direction your are steering it). It either applies power or braking to bring the vehicle back in line.

Check out this article on Wikipedia that explains what it does much better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...bility_Control
Now mattebury seems to me like a person that knows how to communicate in life;thanks mattebury for the ability to give me a direct answer.
Much appreciated .

Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
LOL the gov-loc is a POS! it only locks when it detects a 300RPM difference between the 2 drive wheels. that means that youll be on the gas when you want the locker to engage, causing a huge shock when both axles lock. and the gov in the 10 is known to be a bomb.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
I thought the new powerstrokes just had traction control, and not stabiltrac. Both of which are different things.

I didn't post to brag or to start a pissing match. sorry sheesh. BTW i thought it just applied the brakes to help keep from spinning not to to actually control the vehicle like the stabltrac does.

FYI, it is 1.5 turns of a rear tire before the locker locks on a max and it won't engage at speeds over 30 mph and I have never heard of 1 breaking unlike the limited slips. But when a locker does break, you have nothing, when a LS goes out you just have an open diff. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
ok buddy. even the most diehard GM fans(besides your self) agree that the gov-loc in the 10 bolt is a straight up bomb just ticking away.
Originally Posted by Randy's Ring & Pinion
Gov-lock(G/L)
Used by General Motors in 73 & newer trucks that came with an option locking / limited slip differential. It was used in 7.5", 7.625", 8.5", 8.6", 8.875" 12 bolt truck, 9.5", 10.5", and now in the new 11.5" differentials. The smaller designs are fairly weak and the 8.5" and 12 bolt truck designs are especially weak. The 9.5" and 10.5" 14T units are fairly strong and will hold up well to towing and moderate abuse. The Gov-Lock is designed to act as an open differential during normal driving with no force being applied to clutches. This fact that no force is applied to the clutches keeps the clutches from chattering during normal every day driving. When either wheel slips and spins approximately 100 rpm faster than the other a governor assembly senses the difference in speed and activates a ramp system. The ramp system causes the clutches to engage and transfer power to the wheel with traction. One other feature of the Gov-Lock is that it will not engage at vehicle speed above 30 mph. This no lock-up feature keeps the vehicle more stable at higher speeds where both wheels spinning could cause an inexperienced driver to spin out or slide off of the road. This is a great design in theory and works as designed in a stock vehicle that is not abused. The problem is that most of us modify our trucks and many of us abuse them. When this unit is asked to deliver under extreme conditions it tends to self-destruct. The force generated by the ramp system that is used to lock-up the clutches works well, except that same force has to be contained by the case and the case is not always up to the job. (factory)
i will give you that, i was off by 200RPM.

if a basic limited slip can withstand more abuse than this "locker", then that doesnt speak much for its durability at all. not to mention, most people who build up a GM into an offroad truck(for some reason...) trash the gov-loc for a REAL locker anyways. your basic ratchet autolockers are better than those damn things.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:21 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
while i see what you are saying, I have never and I do mean never seen a locker go out even at the many truck pulling events I have participated in and also watched. There are many duramax's with well over 500rwhp that have never blown a diff lock out, but I don't know of many people that make a diesel and extreme off road vehicle.

Day to day durability can be debated either way, but the average 4x4 barely ever goes off road. LOL

Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Ry_Trapp0
Junior User
i would be surprised if those 500rwhp trucks and those pullers didnt replace that turd of a "locker".

Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
I never had a problem with the G80 Gov-Lok in my 2001 Chevy, it worked as advertised. On the other hand, I had to replace the POS LS this Ford came with as it never would hook up.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:08 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
no, the factory rear end stays just as it is, where i know some ford guys that have to rebuild the limited slips because the hp chews them up. we also put e lockers in the front diffs when we pull.

IMO it is a toss up, depending on how it is used. If the locker is engaged before high wheel speed is incured, the locker will generally outlast the limited slip. But for engaging at high wheel speed, the LS will be more reliable (long term) but also require more maintance. GM's locker doesn't engage over 35mph, so the hardest abuse on it is limited. But with a limited slip, it works no matter the speed. That can be an advantage, but also cost more in maintance.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Customz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
I thought the new powerstrokes just had traction control, and not stabiltrac. Both of which are different things.

I didn't post to brag or to start a pissing match. sorry sheesh. BTW i thought it just applied the brakes to help keep from spinning not to to actually control the vehicle like the stabltrac does.

FYI, it is 1.5 turns of a rear tire before the locker locks on a max and it won't engage at speeds over 30 mph and I have never heard of 1 breaking unlike the limited slips. But when a locker does break, you have nothing, when a LS goes out you just have an open diff. Advantages and disadvantages to both.
BS, I told you I broke one. We discussed this about a month ago. No one cares about the dmax and no one is asking about it either. Go hang out in the ford vs. competition forum where users may care to hear your opinions...

Last edited by Customz; 12-10-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:45 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
sorry I don't remember. after searching, I see you are right. Sorry. So chalk up one.

BTW I read more on the traction control on the duramax even if know one cares, it is relative, because all it does is allow the vehicle to start out in 2nd gear rather than first. This is something ford has had for years if I am not mistaking. Maybe now they are just calling it traction control, and not changing anything but advertising it more.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Banksstroker
Junior User
Alrighty then, back to the topic. When I was at SEMA in early November, the FORD Engineers urged me not to get the Traction Control package. According to them it is an ABS based traction system that senses slippage in a wheel brakes that wheel.

I guess it and places the power elsewhere. Sounds to me like this is for the soccer mom SUV types driving a Super Duty IMHO.

I like to have the control myself, I don't need to have some computer telling me when to brake or accelerate.