Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Buying parts online

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:41 PM
duc_grrl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying parts online

Hi guys ... what experience have you guys had with buying parts online? Yeah Matt, I know this should be posted in some other forum, but what I really wanted to know was how it works that we are in Canada and most of these websites are from the US. Do you guys get stuff shipped directly to you or do you have a friend in the US and then you go down and pick the stuff up? Any recommendations on what websites to deal with? I've found most of the parts I need on a1auto.com (I think that's it) anyone dealt with them before?

Thanks guys (in my generation that includes girls by the way ...)

Old 12-04-2006, 09:24 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Grrl,
I haven't dealt with a1auto.com but I have purchased from some of the sponsors of this site with no problems. And of course with ebay as well. When you buy new parts duty will kick in and you may be charged for it when the package is delivered, it depends on how thorough the shipper is on their forms. Always insist on US postal Service for delivery. I rarely get charged duty when stuff comes in the mail. UPS on the other hand are crooks and charge a ridiculous amount for brokerage fees. I have found most vendors very good to deal with.

Frank

PS. How come current wheels in your signature does NOT include an Italian two wheeled ride?????

Old 12-04-2006, 07:20 PM
006f350diesel
Senior User
I order all the time online. ive ordered from all over the place and never have had an issue

Old 12-06-2006, 03:55 PM
notlowyet
Junior User
I usually deal with Summit Racing, their really good with getting orders out on time. But like said above, try to go with US Postal instead of UPS. I just had an order of $150 US come in and it was a $55 Can charge on top for duty.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
mikeyswood
Elder User
Ouch! Duty sucks. You guys should make freinds with a Canadian in Cincinnati for your large purchases.

Mike

Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only I knew of such a guy...well at least one I could trust.

-Matt

Old 12-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Steve's Beast
Senior User
I have purchased items from Jegs and I also bought my headers from "L&L" Jegs shiped with Fedex, I never asked otherwise but they nailed me with the broker fees and taxes big time. If I place another order with them I will look into different shipping. L&L used UPS I think but it might have been US postal service, I cant remember now though. I never had to pay extra taxes or broker fees. Just a note I use a US Dollar visa card for all my US orders. It lets me play the market for the currency exchange.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:45 AM
cdncowboy
Senior User
I have bought many things from stylingconcepts.com and jcwhitney they have there own brokrage service so things wre alot cheaper to ship not to mention that they have the free shippin days almost everything for my ranger came from the states since most people in canada are usless in that they stock stuff for the 86,87,88 sikp 89-92 then start back in for 93 but ya as for ordering parts and shipping and stuff I love it fast and easy had my sidepipes from jcwhitney in I think about 5 days and my hedders from a company on ebay I think in about 7

Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 PM
duc_grrl
Senior User
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to check out some of the sites you guys quoted for the parts I need. Yeah I wish I knew someone in the states to get stuff delivered to. Especially because I'm there twice a week for work and could bring the stuff back myself!

Frank ... I wrote it off ... don't ask how, if I told you, I'd have to kill you ...

Old 12-11-2006, 08:30 AM
mikeyswood
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beast12
If only I knew of such a guy...well at least one I could trust.

-Matt
I'm just sayin that you might want to order two; just in case I like one......

Duc_grrl:

I am in Cincinnati, or you could probably make a freind in the Michigan chapter.

Mike

Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 AM
v8ranger
New User
Thumbs up

hey ducati girl what kind of parts are you looking at buying i might be abel to help you out as i have a buddy who gets good deals at the parts stores around hear and i'm from london ontario i seen you were from tilisionburg wich is only like 40 mins from hear if that let me no might be abel to save a canadian some cash for other mods

Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 AM
fordnut71
Senior User
summit racing is right off I76 just east of akron ohio an have a few truck spots for parking an jegs has 3 locations in the colombus area 1 is on the north end an is the main store an 2 more that are east an west of the city near I70

Old 01-20-2007, 04:06 AM
taisa899
Posting Guru
I usually buy from Rock Auto one of the sponsors on the side. To give you an idea I just bought a TPS from them and it cost me $44.98US including shipping. That same part here at the stealership would have cost me $114CAN. Plus I got to chose what method of shipping I used so I chose the cheapest!

Jim

Old 01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
sewerat
Senior User
I find anything that i get shipped with US postal if i get hit for duty all it ever is our taxes 14% max but if i get it shipped SOONERORLATER, or OOPS then you are hit off the top $30-40 just for brokerage fees and then the taxes on top of that, Always request postal package not really any slower but always cheaper.

BTW duc_grrl i really want a 749 dark that would be my toy bike.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Stoogefan
Junior User
Hey guys & gals. I just came across this thread and had to toss in my 2 cents. I work for the post office here in Canada (postmaster in Tilbury, ON), so I thought I could shed a little light on the whole customs import issue. Most items that pass thru customs simply pass thru, unless something catches the eye on an inspector. However, customs does have a "zero hour" where EVERYTHING is pulled and gets nailed with tax, duty, etc. Just a tip, you can get a mailing address for a postal box at a post office in the US (of course, for a small yearly rental fee), then just pick the items up yourself. One of my co-workers has one that I use all the time, simply because of customs.

Ciao ... Jeff

Quick Reply: Buying parts online