Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

What's Up With Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 04:23 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
What's Up With Mercury

Mercury sold more Grand Marquis so far in 2006 than Montegos and Milans combined. I didn't know that many people in their 80s were still buying new cars.

Geez. Ford has sold more Fusions YTD than Mercury has sold cars.

Kill the brand. Cut your (many, many) losses.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
OffRoadBandit
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they cut the Mercury line up. Would the value of 1968 Cougar go up.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OffRoadBandit
If they cut the Mercury line up. Would the value of 1968 Cougar go up.
Probably not. But you could take it to the Orphan's Car Show in Carlisle and park it next to my Plymouth!

Old 12-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Red Star
Posting Guru
If they continue to use identical vehicles as Ford they will end up like Olds.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jschira
Mercury sold more Grand Marquis so far in 2006 than Montegos and Milans combined. I didn't know that many people in their 80s were still buying new cars.

Geez. Ford has sold more Fusions YTD than Mercury has sold cars.

Kill the brand. Cut your (many, many) losses.

NO! dont even suggest it, Ford should go back to what they originally ahd mercury for. rebadge a mustagn,put sequntial tailights on it, call it a Cougar. start pushing Mercury in Canada instead of Ford. if Mercury goes, i will forget about Ford, i have immense pride in thinking about the days when Mercuries were Canadian only, i have no problem seeing them sold in America or any wheres else. as long as they are around, its matter of pride for me, and i would pay a few more dollars for a Mercury than a Ford.gladly

Old 12-05-2006, 10:25 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercury was an "invented" brand so that Ford could try and compete with Dodge, Oldsmobile, etc. in the mid-price area that was important 40-70 years ago, but not today. I say kill it, sell Jaguar and make Lincoln a true luxury brand without cheaper cars sharing the showroom and service bays. After all, you dont see Mercedes-Chrysler dealerships, do you?

Oldsmobile, Dodge, Buick, and others were independent companies bought out by GM or Chrysler. Ford evolved as a company in a totally different way, probably because Henry Ford was so stubborn.

Jim

Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Red Star
Posting Guru
If Mercury start building cars that don't look anything like Fords - they might stay alive.

Milan was a great idea. It shares many parts with Fusion but it doesn't look anything alike. If Mercury could do same thing with rest of vehicles, they could stay alive.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's Up With Mercury
It's in it's death throes. Within a couple of years there will be widespread "corprate" talk of giving the brand the........

I agree with dumping Jaguar, It's time Ford quit propping up the British auto industry and started propping up the American one. They can throw Aston Martin and Lanr Rover in to sweeten the deal.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:24 PM
linkinluver07
Senior User
JimMandy Oldsmobile, Dodge, Buick, and others were independent companies bought out by GM or Chrysler. Ford evolved as a company in a totally different way, probably because Henry Ford was so stubborn.

I thought Ford Bought Lincoln from Henry Leland or am i wrong?

Old 12-19-2006, 12:09 PM
OffRoadBandit
Junior User
Linkinluver,

I think your right. Leland sold Lincoln to FORD and Cadillac to GM. Cadillac was named after Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac - French Explorer

Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 PM
dartguy699
Senior User
HEY--i am not in my 80s (try 50s) and drive a grand marquis-excellent performance and ride-handling and very respectable gas economy. it is a very reliable car and if it needs service it is MUCH easier to do than some of the front wheel drive cars. i think if you drove one you would be very impressed. although it doesnt have cutting edge styling is is still an attractive design that can go 200k miles or more with proper treatment
jim

Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Ford4-life
Senior User
Bring back cougar as a slightly redesign mustang, if the interceptor concept is a go rebadge the mercury version as a comet and ford the fairlane, come out with a sporty 2 seat conv based off a miata call it a capri. Mercury would then have alot more excitement in there line up, and some competition in the market. I really think ford should come out with a sporty 2 conv., they own mazda and theres many new fords that share alot of what mazda has, the solstice/sky are doing great and bringing gm lots of money

Old 12-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Old Rust Bucket
Elder User
FoMoCo needs to trim the fat.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:22 PM
FirstTry
Posting Guru
then lets get rid of Ford, keep Mercury, rebadge EVERYTHING!!!!!!! (its late, and i could probably be charged with posting under the influence)

Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 AM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If ford continues to badge engineer the mercurys then I see no reason to keep it around. I would like to see the brand become more upscale and performance oriented - with an emphasis on driving experience ... something in between mazda and bmw - the only two brands that really focus on the driving experience. They could also use the brand to import Ford of Eurpoe models like the mondeo and even some FoAU models.

Some might say that it would end up competing with Lincoln.. but IMO Lincolns should be big cars that float down the road and have big v8's, with most emphasis on luxury and having a cushy ride and a breeding ground for new technology.

On a side note - has anyone seen the MKR and Interceptor concepts? Two new cars based on the same platform.. and they have different bodies! It seems like Ford might really be turning things around if they actually build these cars and don't water them down beyond recognition.

Last edited by captain p4; 01-01-2007 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply: What's Up With Mercury