Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Oil leak....is truck worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 PM
jedman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Oil leak....is truck worth it?

I'm looking at purchasing an 89 F150 4x4. The body is in GREAT condition, the truck runs good with 169K on it. The only problem is it leaks ALOT of oil. I test drove it about 20 miles, and it leaked almost a quart. With a quick look, it looks like it's leaking from the valve cover and the front seal. I tried to tighten the oil pan, but they all seemed snug. Obviously the valve cover leak will be easy, but I'm concerned on how big of a job the front seal is to replace. It's a 5.0L engine, and I'm wondering if I can do this myself. About the biggest job I've done myself is replacing the rear seal on my 87 inline 6 F150. My dad doesn't think the truck is worth it, but I think if the job is something I can do myself, the truck is a steal at $500. So my questions are:

Is this something I can do myself?
What are the steps to replacing the front seal? Does the motor need to be pulled?
Is the truck worth it, or should I just look for another?
Also the clutch slave might need to be replaced, I've never done this either, but this isn't that spendy or hard of a job is it?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 AM
dave2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's worth 500 bucks just to have a Ford to haul your snow shovel in. I'd look the rest over real good (suspension, u-joints, tires, etc) before you make a decision. You don't want the old man saying "I told you so". Hope you have a garage to work in, hear you folks are in for some wild weather.

Good Luck

Old 12-01-2006, 09:48 AM
gustang818
Elder User
For $500 I'd say go for it. At worst you can always tell your dad it's a learning experience and part it out. When I bought my truck it had a similar leak which I figured to be from the front seal/timing cover. It turned out the cause was rust pinholes in the oil pan. It was hard to see because the engine was a ball of grease.

If it's just the front seal, it's relatively easy to replace and can be done in the vehicle. You can rent or get loaner tools at your local auto parts store. Take off the belt and pulley, break the harmonic balancer bolt loose and remove, use a balancer puller to remove the HB, pull the old seal and install the new one. If you did the rear seal on your other vehicle you know the importance of driving the seal in evenly. Reinstall the balancer using a balancer installation tool, put on the pulley and belt and you're done. Don't use the balancer bolt to press the balancer back on and don't hammer it on either. While the balancer is off, inspect the rubber holding the outer ring on for cracks and excessive protrusion and replace the balancer if necessary.

If you have to replace the oil pan in the vehicle, that job is more involved. You need to raise and support the engine. To gain enough clearance you will need to take off the upper intake. Then mark and pull the distributor and ioil pump drive rod. Next remove the oil pan and oil pump (you won't get the pan off otherwise). You may want to replace the oil pump and pickup at this time for insurance.

If you buy the truck you should get a Chilton's or Motor Manual for the truck. They will give you enough guidance to get the job done.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:56 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think if you can replace a rear seal, meaning you took the trans out, you can replace the front. It's a little more challenging but sounds like you're up for it!

Last edited by LeoJr; 12-01-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
For 500 bucks its a hell of a deal. I would yank the whole motor out and do all the gaskets, check everything over and put it back in. Then you know you have a good motor that wont leak

Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 PM
spike552
Senior User
500$ where do u live ill buy it right now