1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 FSB Restoration Project (56K Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 AM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 71dusterdan
wow Chris looking great, hope to get up there and see the wardens relatives again this summer, and maybe see your truck again.. I just started the paint work on the truck, all i can say is what a hoot. now someone pass the spork so i can slice my wrist open. hahaha!! Dan
Dan - funny...wardens relatives! Hey post some pictures of the truck! We wanna see this thing! Hey I just got back from the cafeteria here at work and picked up some sporks for you! Let me know when your up again!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:44 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got the 79 body to replace the rotting one i have... a much easier process and it was only 300 bucks with only one quarter size rust spot the whole body....and thats on the tailgate of course!! just gotta figure a way to get it off the trailer etc and then reverse the process....i have extra parts like all the seats, decent fenders etc....and I like that!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 AM
cje07
Elder User
Originally Posted by roger dowty
got the 79 body to replace the rotting one i have... a much easier process and it was only 300 bucks with only one quarter size rust spot the whole body....and thats on the tailgate of course!! just gotta figure a way to get it off the trailer etc and then reverse the process....i have extra parts like all the seats, decent fenders etc....and I like that!
How heavy was it and how did you get it from the old frame to the trailer? What a score man! Clean that thing up while it's off the frame...get some pictures bro!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
i didn't get it off the frame yet...th owner took the good one off and had it jacked up with 8' boards so i backed the trailer under it and lowered it.

It isn't real heavy...the front clip was seperate ans since i didn't need all of it i just took the fenders.

All the wiring unplugs then take out the steering, pedals etc and unbolt...with the front clip off...lift in front from where the cab connects to the frame and theres a cross support in back...get it up high enough to lower it on long boards so it can be jacked from the side and blocked...will take lots of pics when i do it.

it will all be cleaned and coated before reinstalled.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:53 PM
cje07
Elder User
Progress

Well boys...I have made a little progress over the last week...no pictures to show, although I will get some eventually and possibly over the weekend. I have been taken a few hours here and there to get little things done. Here is waht I have done so far:
1) secured the front bumper and new light bar.
2) Did a little trimming on the slip-on rocker panels. They fit fantastic now!
3) Fabbed some new metal at the door jamb area where the door jamb meets the new rockers. Everything was rusted out prior to cutting the old stuff out.

On Saturday, I hope to take the top off, fit the rear fenders and make sure everyuthing is kosher with the new rockers, and fabbed metal. Once it meets my standards...I'll take the rears off, clean up the metal where the rockers go, and hit it with some rust bullet (RB). Once the RB is dry it's glue time! Then will come the rears! Totally psyched guys!!!! Once the piddly stuff is out of the way and can finally see and appreciate the effort I have put into this project. Many more steps to go! I can't wait for $5.00/gallon gas this summer!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I been wondering about you- good to hear that you are rollin on that project again.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:16 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
Chris, you are just wrong, $5 a gallon gas!!! my darn truck doesnt move unless it is loaded or gonna be loaded. right now it has about 900#'s of busted concrete in the bed and waiting for another 2000#. needless to say it has earned its keep this last 2 weeks with yard projects. throw us some more pics! later Dan

Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Tre-E_Ford
Senior User
I just wanted to complement you on the project. I had a question about the bedliner you used, that black smooth, how did it come out? I mean the pictures look good. I want to do the same with my truck, but i'm debating either going with the smooth or the rough. Did you spray it, brush it, or roll it? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
cje07
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tre-E_Ford
I just wanted to complement you on the project. I had a question about the bedliner you used, that black smooth, how did it come out? I mean the pictures look good. I want to do the same with my truck, but i'm debating either going with the smooth or the rough. Did you spray it, brush it, or roll it? Thanks.
Hey Tre - I initially rolled the smooth, but then I have sprayed on the last few coats...one more final coat to go. The Rough stuff on the inside I rolled. Black smooth lookd MUCH better sprayed then rolled.

Ask Duster Dan how it looks for a second opinion...he has seen it in person....DAN?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
cje07
Elder User
Update 05/06/2008

Hey folks I have an update for you. Still trying to get minor things out of the way before I test fit rockers and rear panels to ensure proper alignment. Over the weekend I was able to strip the reciever hitch, Tailgate Access Panel and the existing rockers. I then Rust bulleted all of the items. Here are some pictures to drool over:

Hitch which is in dire need of a new coat of paint:

Stripped and cleaned:

Rust Bullet applied:

Cleaned up the existing Rockers and applied Rust Bullet:

Tailgate Access Panel:

Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
cje07
Elder User
Update continued:

Existing Rockers, cleaned and Rust Bulleted:

Underside:

Now I am ready to apply the rough black on the reciever and sandstone underneath the rockers. More pictures to come!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Awesome. I am sidetracked until that tax rebate check thing comes, no Bronc work. Need that extra 1800 from Uncle Sam to purchase 408w. On the bright side, a friend just gave me an IH Cub Cadet riding lawn mower, Runs perfect, 12.5 hp Kohler, 38 in. deck. All it needs is the idler pulley for the deck drive belt. Sweet! May have a line on a lift and some 36's for my white Bronc, still waiting to hear......... Good to see progress on yours though!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
oops i see i missed where my presence was requested. I love the look of the smooth on Chris' Truck, i cant stress that fact enough! It has a real slit stippled finish, and it rocks. the durabak samples i got showed the smooth as a really smooth finish, which i dont want, but the finish on this truck rocks. I will have to review this entire thread, to get my application facts right. if i can recreate the finish Chris has it will be done in a 2tone to my truck. if i cant then i will just have to apply auto paint. I can say for a guy that doesnt work in the industry, and is working out of his garage... this truck looks spectacular.... in fact i shouldnt qualify that statement, it looks good even if it were profesionally done. Keep up the good work Chris! gotta build the garage then i will follow in your footsteps. lookin forward to eyeing your progress. Dan

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 AM
cje07
Elder User
Originally Posted by 71dusterdan
oops i see i missed where my presence was requested. I love the look of the smooth on Chris' Truck, i cant stress that fact enough! It has a real slit stippled finish, and it rocks. the durabak samples i got showed the smooth as a really smooth finish, which i dont want, but the finish on this truck rocks. I will have to review this entire thread, to get my application facts right. if i can recreate the finish Chris has it will be done in a 2tone to my truck. if i cant then i will just have to apply auto paint. I can say for a guy that doesnt work in the industry, and is working out of his garage... this truck looks spectacular.... in fact i shouldnt qualify that statement, it looks good even if it were profesionally done. Keep up the good work Chris! gotta build the garage then i will follow in your footsteps. lookin forward to eyeing your progress. Dan
Thanks Dan! I think I finally have all of the dirty work out of the way in regard to grinding and sanding. It's a matter of getting the rockers test fitted, then the rear fenders tested fitted in that seem by the door. Pray that all lines up ok with no gaps!!!

I'm still not totally 100% satisfied with the front fenders lining up how I want. I'll just have to request some help form one of my brothers...they can lift and shift and I'll work the wrench. Once I get the rockers glued in and the rears glued in I feel I will be at the top of the hill...just coasting from here on in...I better knock on some wood somewhere!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 AM
MentalState
Senior User
nice prodject you have there cudos to all your hard work..Always wondered what it would look like on complete truck..I thought of doing to mine..Tired of scratches in paint

anyway, good job..

Quick Reply: 1986 FSB Restoration Project (56K Warning)