1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 FSB Restoration Project (56K Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I decided to roll on the black bedliner as opposed to spraying the chunky stuff...one coat done...coat to complete! Thursday I will be putting on the second coat.

By the time this thing is done...it is going to be one tough rig! My next project is to work on those rocker panels. Once I get them perfected I should be able to tie them into the rest of the body, then the doors and lining up of the rear quarters should which will tie into rockers and the rest of the body.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Chris- I have to say I am jealous. The only progress made on our EB is the fact that I finally bought another sander, and a welding helmet. I guess I have to go buy a welder because my friend's that I was using is out of commission. Once I get past this final hurdle, I will be off to the races on bodywork. Unfortunately, it is still a gutless turd. I have no idea why. You followed my thread on it, It ought to scream with everything being new and getting a mild cam. Oh well. Glad you posted some pics, I was wondering. I sure wish you lived close, the kids could all play while we worked on our Broncs. Did you see I got another one?

Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 AM
cje07
Elder User
Final coat of Durabak applied...

I was able to steal away to put on a final coat of Durabak on the tub last night. Make sure when you are doing this to regularly mix the Durabak so the granules are consistent throughout.

The patch panels that were fabricated are now more difficult to see with the two coats of liner on...very pleased with the outcome!

Another tip...if you have tiny holes...nickel to dime size...say maybe where a factory bolt used to go...cover one side up with Duct Tape prior to lining and line over it. Make sure not to use a ton of duct tape over the hole...just enough to cover it. If you are lining your rig inside an out it will provide a strong, solid seal. This means less time patching with metal all while getting the same result.

On to the pic whoring:

Do you notioce the patch panel located at the drivers feet? No...that's cause its hard to find lying under two coats of thickly applied Durabak!!!

Close up for ya!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 AM
cje07
Elder User
Next Steps...

My next step in this whole process is to get the rockers done...this is an absolute prior to hanging the large rear panels as they reside UNDER the rear panels where they meet up at the door frame. I will need to do some more trimming and some more metal work to get them to fit like a glove.

Once I'm done with the rockers doors and tailgate (test fit) will go on in order to line up the rear panels correctly. Once that is done...onto putting the internals in the doors and tailgate. Final do a final spot check for anything I missed and finally two more coats of the smooth Durabak on the outside of the truck. I'll have to get to fabbing some innerwheel wells at some point or at the very least support for the fender.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
Talking

Wow, Chris you are just hammering on your truck! It looks awesome. How did you like working with the body glue? I just got all my cab panels this week, gonna glue it back together. You did an awesome job, the rb looked fantastic, and the durabak, even better. Cant wait until the next time we are up, i wanna see it in person again. I'm shocked at the patch panels, i was gonna call you a hacker, but after the durabak, it looks so good it doesnt even matter. So how much of the heavy duraback have you used on the tub? looks great buddy, cant wait to see it, maybe around thanksgiving. Later. Dan

Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
oh by the way, i had talked myself out of the durabak smooth. just gonna do the old rustoleam and roller, wetsand, buff. well that thing is looking so good, i may just blindly follow you down that road after all. Have you tried spraying the smooth on, or are you sticking to the original plan, and just roller it out?Thanks, Dan

ps gonna have to give ray a call and look into fenders, ill use your referal, hopefully you can get a little kick back.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 AM
cje07
Elder User
Hey Dan! Work must be busy for you latley? Been waiting for a reply from you!

1) Working with the glue was ok...I sort of wasted some by not storing it (while working with it) in a vertical position. I did form a VERY tight bond and seal.
2) I have to admit I am VERY impressed with the metal hack-patch job! You can't even see those panels under the thick layer of Durabak. I used almost a full gallon of the rough stuff just on the inside/outside of the tub. You don't want to f trip and fall while working in that tub now, you are liable to take some skin off!
3) I did resort to spraying the black smooth after a few coats of roll on. Will probably do another few coats of spray on for a nice smooth finish.

Maybe by th etime you visit again I'll have rockers and MAYBE the outside fenders on! Until later!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:48 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
man chris i just had to revisit this thread, and get motivation, okay maybe it was ideas. i bought a parts truck for a body donor. got the clip off of it, and the interior out of the cab. discovered the drivers sude floor next to the rocker is shot. thankfully enough i had bought the parts to try and save my old cab, so i have the metal in stock. how the floor went but the rocker stayed strong is beyond me. so this weekend i will clean it patch it, por 15 it, and get ready for the durabak. i decided durabak is probably the best bet. i had been thinking of real paint, but why? since the interior is gray i may have to do the two tone like yours in gray and black. i cant remember is the durabak a sealant also. will it seal any remaining surface rust? have a good night. Dan

Old 10-11-2007, 07:35 AM
cje07
Elder User
Originally Posted by 71dusterdan
man chris i just had to revisit this thread, and get motivation, okay maybe it was ideas. i bought a parts truck for a body donor. got the clip off of it, and the interior out of the cab. discovered the drivers sude floor next to the rocker is shot. thankfully enough i had bought the parts to try and save my old cab, so i have the metal in stock. how the floor went but the rocker stayed strong is beyond me. so this weekend i will clean it patch it, por 15 it, and get ready for the durabak. i decided durabak is probably the best bet. i had been thinking of real paint, but why? since the interior is gray i may have to do the two tone like yours in gray and black. i cant remember is the durabak a sealant also. will it seal any remaining surface rust? have a good night. Dan
Dan - I would make sure you clean that surface rust up. Your best bet would be to lay down some rust preventer just in case. Did you see the job that Rust Bullet did on the entire rear end of my truck. At $36 per quart you can not beat it!!! I plan on getting some more for misc. jobs...it sprays on so nice with no thinning required.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
yea chris i saw the rust bullet, that stuff laid down real nice, or so it appears. i was talkin to a guy at durabak today, and we had differences on how the smooth lays out. i did not like the sample they sent me, and i thought your smooth had a very fine texture? am i mis remembering , if that was the smooth you used on the upper body how did you get that fine texture. i dont want smooth, might as well paint it then, and then i'd have to wax it. i want that fine texture you had. how about some insight to how ya got it. thanks, Dan

Old 10-12-2007, 01:18 AM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
that thing is going to be bullet-proof for sure. Didn't feel my '83 fsb was worth that much though I did a lot of work to it. BUT....i picked up a '75 highboy crewcab that will get the full treatment like your bronco...only a custom tube bed.

well done. Curious as to why durabak? there are similar or even near identical products... some of which can be laid out smoother... so curious.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:56 AM
cje07
Elder User
Durabak

Dan - I just sprayed it on...siphon fed gun...I can't remember the tip size at this time. The Durabak had to be thinned 10%.

Roger - at the time of researching my options, the Durabak was the only company I found that had a smooth version of bedliner with extra UV protection.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Hey Chris- anything new with the Bronc?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 AM
il/saltydog
New User
very good job. i have the to new rear panels, thanks to u ican see what to do with the lip under the cab. i was going to raise cab off of panel. but will cut it like u did now. i've had my panels for three yrs and have'nt had time to put them on. been working my dads chevy to much .lol. thanks for all ur great pics on the project. hey dusterdan where do u live in illinois????????

Old 02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
71dusterdan
Postmaster
uh hey salty, i live in rockford. the far north end of the state on interstate highway 90. or dead center in the middle on the stateline. Dan

Quick Reply: 1986 FSB Restoration Project (56K Warning)