Notices

Aftermarket Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aftermarket Fog Lights

I'm looking for a good pair of fog lights to mount on my brush guard and to run off one of my upfitter switchers, anyone have any brands that they prefer or any particularly good brand and model that does really well. This is more for function then it is for looks, I'm not too thrilled with the factory fog lights and want to upgrade to something that actually works in the fog. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:55 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a style you would prefer more (big, small, round, rectangle, projector)? Do you have a price range in mind? Would you consider putting new lights in place of the factory fogs (of similar size)? Are you wanting them more for actual adverse weather use or just to supplement the low beams on a regular basis?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:02 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Well if there are good ones that would take the place of my original ones then thats alright, I'm not opposed to that. Size and shape, understated, I don't need big or flash or strange looking, while the main purpose is function, I do want it to look like it goes with the rest of the truck. I do want them to be functional in adverse weather.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:41 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1400.html

I've seen these used on Rangers that had very similar (same?) lights to the Superduty. They should fit nicely. They say they are 3.25" wide. The problem with mounting them higher, like on the brush guard, is you will lose some of the foul weather benefits (the reason for some of my ?'s). You can look around on there for other lights too. I have, and really like, Hella lights on my truck. http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...e_Lighting.jsp

Old 11-27-2006, 06:49 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I do have a question about the different fog light colors, I'm sure it has to do with the refracting of certain wavelengths of light during fog conditions, but which color is the best in penetrating the fog?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:56 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Some people like yellow, some don't. There is mixed/conflicting scientific evidence, and personal views, on whether or not having a more strictly yellow output is beneficial in fog.

That being said, my fogs are clear. I tried some yellow and found they absorbed too much other color light for all around use. I don't remember trying them in dense fog as we rarely get it, when we do get it it's usually so thick no light in the world is going to help much. Remember: they don't add yellow, they take away blue. I prefer the clear lens in the rain. Don't get much snow down this way, so no personal input there either .

The purple/multicolored looking coating on the reflector of the PIAA ends up giving you a yellow beam.

Whatever you choose, it's likely to be much better than the factory lights.

EDIT: While it's raining the yellow may have been a bit better. After a rain, when it was just wet out, I preffered the clear. Just my opinion. I kinda sit on the fence of the yellow being more beneficial or not.

Last edited by tdister; 11-27-2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:06 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I remembered quite a log of fog, sometimes dense growing up in Plano, but you said your in central texas and it is different there, but here in middle tennessee we got alot particular early in the morning which is when I do alot of driving. I'm not a big fan of some of the more funkier colors, but if it would aid in dealing with the fog then I would have tolerated it.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Yeah, it seems like there is either a very light fog or a heavy fog, not much in between. Maybe my perception is off . Most of the time nothing or light though, which seems odd considering the humidity most mornings. I don't know, maybe I'm out at the wrong (or is it right?) times.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
I appreciate the help. I never would have thought about just pulling out the old fog lights and replacing them(I don't know why, seems like the best thing to do). I'll just take a look and see what I can find. Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
jorlee
Senior User
I had some walmart fogs that gave a yellowish light. I had these on my Ranger and were mounted higher than the fog lights and lower than the headlights. Came with instructions that said heights to mount. Ended up adding a angle iron to my grilleguard/brushguard to get a good height w/o interfering with the license plate.

I found that it helped to see through falling snow really well. Never did have a dense fog at night to test them on. I liked them due to not having a yellow lense, but a yellow purple like reflector on back. They seemed to be about as bright as the dim light but not quite. They were alot brighter than the stock (decoration) fogs.

I am looking for some to add to my F-150 once I get the Ranchhand grille guard.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:24 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the money, I really like the Hella 500