Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oil(?) drip from weep hole in bell housing

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil(?) drip from weep hole in bell housing

I purchased my ‘00 F350 7.3L Auto 4x4 about 2-3 months ago with no leaks (first time diesel owner). Saturday morning I noticed a few drops of oil like stuff on my nice clean driveway!!!!! I scurry under the truck cussin’ up such a clatter that my dog sprang from his bed to see t’was the matter (ho-ho-ho). The drip was from what looks like a half moon weep hole (-like this guys mouth, only no teeth) at the base of the transmission bell housing…about 6 inches behind the oil drain plug. I wiped off the area, parked the truck in a different spot after driving around that day, and the next morning there were 2-3 new drips.<O</O

Is this normal and the hole just happened to be plugged up since I have owned it or is it a precursor to a larger problem?

As always…thanks for your input!

-Dan

Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 PM
westpsd
Senior User
Generally, when a drip shows up at that location, it is comming from above. There are two normal points of intrest for oil leaks. One is the fittings on the HPOP. If it is leaking there, the valley just behind the fuel filter (below the PowerStroke plastic cover) will be wet. It is usually just the orings that need replacing at that point. The second common leak is from the turbo pedastal. If it from there, the valley will be dry, but the back of the engine on the passenger side will be wet. This repair is not expensive, but time consuming. Check out what is wet and others will chime in here to assist as well.

Jim

Old 11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Good post Jim.

Also could be from the intercooler boots at the head. Mine was leaving A LOT of oil all over the bellhousing (don't have a concrete driveway, just dirt) and I found the passenger side intake boot at the head was loose enough for oil to actually LEAK out.
Cody

Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
bomberopm
Freshman User
DCWIPPLE is not sure if this is a oil leak or something else. I noticed mine leaking fuel from the same spot this morning. On further inspection, I noticed that the leak is coming from around the back side of the fuel filter/High pressure oil pump area. I can see a drip every three to ten seconds or so, that is pooling up in the valley of the engine. Any Ideas?

Ray

Old 11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bomberopm, sounds like the HPOP o-ring leak.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:02 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has always had a real slow drip from the same spot. I never really see it drip, but it's usually moist with oil, and there are usually a couple or a few new drips on the driveway every few days. Hasn't been enough of a drip yet for me to investigate its source or go about remedying it.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:50 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is a very common situation for the powerstroke, Mine does it. The first time I saw it (pre FTE) I thought the rear main had decided to take a dump. I wouldn't really worry about it, unless your worried about your driveway

Old 11-27-2006, 06:13 PM
danhfordnut
Freshman User
Smile

When I first bought my 02, I noticed the same thing. I also noticed oil on the sheet metal shield on the front of the bellhousing. Turned out to be the oil filter. I changed the oil and filter because it was due and there hasen't been a drop of oil since. If you or more likely the local oil change shop didn't tighten the filter correctly (should be a sticker on the driver's side of the oil pan with the instructions) it can give you fits. Might be worth a shot.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Zephyr
Senior User
Mine is dripping from the same place & it appears to be the turbo pedastal.
I'm going to wait till spring to fix it though.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:39 AM
bomberopm
Freshman User
Well, I know it isn't the HPOP because I changed one of those O rings out about a month ago. When that thing let loose I had oil clear up the back of my truck. Lost almost half of the oil in the engine in just 20 miles or so. That also started as just a couple of drops of oil on the driveway. That was an easy fix because of some good folks here. This leak is obviously fuel. It is clear and smells like diesel fuel. I went out and got a valve this afternoon. Hopefully that takes care of it. Probably could have cured the problem with o rings but figured with my luck I ought to replace the valve. The place where I got the valve said that they have been selling a ton of these in the last few weeks. Something about the change in weather drying out the o rings. Personnally I think it all started ( at least for me) with a fuel filter change. Had the hardest time getting the lid to the filter to seat right. would seal for a few hours and then spew fuel everywhere. After three days I finally got it on good enough. As it was it took weeks before it started running right. Got some air in it and felt as though I had a seizure in my foot while on the accelerator at times. Serging alot. Then before the air problem quit the oil started to leak and then blew all over. Now the fuel again. All with in 4 fingers width of each other. All that diesel fuel spewing all over destroyed the oring everywhere around it.

By the way anyone recommend a wrench of some kind to tighten the fuel filter cap>

Old 11-28-2006, 03:41 AM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tighten mine by hand, but loosen it with an oil filter strap wrench... same one I use on the oil filter. If you can't get it tight enough by hand, you can probably use the strap wrench to tighten it. I also put a bit of diesel fuel in the threads of the cap just to help it not bind plastic against plastic... maybe that'd help.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
bomberopm
Freshman User
Well, I replaced the valve and haven't had a leak yet. I bought a couple of strap filter wrenches yesterday. Hopefully when I go and change the fuel filter out next time I won't have any problems like the last.

Ray

Old 11-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Zephyr
Senior User
Fuel filter wrench

This fuel filter cap tool is cool
http://www.dieselinnovations.com/di....products&cat=9

This one is cheaper & I think would be handier to keep in the truck
http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...catalogid=4411

Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I've not seen that one before. That is a nice looking tool.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:05 AM
dcwhipple
Junior User
Quick question...should I go all the way to the Ford dealership to buy my o-rings for my HPOP or would I get similar quality at Advanced ro NAPA. I seem to remember seeing some threads concerning getting the propper fit with non-Ford o-rings.

Thanks!
Dan

Quick Reply: Oil(?) drip from weep hole in bell housing