International Region Australia

Aus NT speed limits

Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Aus NT speed limits

I think I am the only territorian on here....

So I am probably the only person that is extremely frustrated at the decision to introduce speed limits in NT.

But feel free to throw some choice words the way of the local Country Labour party, it would make me feel better thats for sure.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You already have a speed limit when aerodynamic drag matches applied maximum HP available.
What speeds are they wanting to strangle you with?
Sounds again what they did to Germany over time and they call this progress.

Last edited by "Beemer Nut"; 11-07-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:31 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
You already have a speed limit when aerodynamic drag matches applied maximum HP available.

Yeah, you are right, but I can live with a 200mph car restricted speed limit

They are introducing an 80mph speed limit...

Old 11-08-2006, 06:01 AM
revhead64
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day BigF350.
Well it had to happen. NT is (was) the only aussie state left with an open road no speed limit. I reckon it's all political and probably related to federal government funding. The feds tried to limit SA roads to a 100K (60mph) speed limit some time back, but we still have 110K (68mph) limits on certain roads, not all.

Unfortunately you're not gunna get much sympathy from non-Territorians, we've had to put up with state speed limits for 30 years or more. The year I got my drivers licence (1975) they brought in maximum 110k speed limits in SA........maybe it was aimed at me........lol.

Go and have a blast while you can...........Cheers........Barry.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Flywest
Senior User
I dunno BigF350

I'll qualify this by saying I've only ever driven the NT twice, and that was back in 1976 & '78, so probably 30 years ago!

I was makin my way down from Halls creek to the Alice, via The Sturt? highway I think it was called then...across thru Reg Underwoods Inverway station....Katherine & Mattaranka springs route!

Anyways down the higways somewhere, nears Dunmarra? there was a fight in the pub between a couple long haul truckers, that involved firearms and the use thereof.....and a lotof people being thrown / punched thru walls & windows etc & women screamin and such, so we moved on toward Dunmarra?..

Well blow me down, theres these big ol mean truckies in the Bar....musta been 20 of em, got themselves a trianchala spider bout 10 inches across in a big ol Pablo Glass coffee Jar...they is rollin the jar along the bar - watchin the trianchala make out like a hamster on a wheel...and getting more pizzed by the minute (Truckers & the spider!)

Thats cool...until one of em open the jar and flings the spider in the middle of all the big mean truckers for a laugh!

Well the rush for the 3ft 6inch wide door in the side a th' corrugated iron "bar" wall just couldn't take 15 jumbo truckers all leaving thru a lil ol exit at once and sorta burst at the seams taking the door and everything else with it! (including us and the truckers!)..

Picked ourselves up outta the dust and remains of the timber framed wall in the parking lot!

So of course - as one does - we kinda noseyed on from there as well....

Then I'm doing about 90 mph down the highway again toward the Alice in our 1970? Holden Kingswood, with the 186 CU engine...(no air con in those days!) couldn't go no faster, it was so hot the fuel was evaporating in the fuel line before it could get to the carby!

Well - I met me a "territorian" commin the other way....in some kinda Leyland P76 Utitilty thing with a railway Iron bull bar in front....doing I guess just over the 100 mph.

Nothing wrong with that 'ceptin - it was at the point where the only slight bend in the road for a couple hundred miles or more between these two lil ol hills occurrs....and a bit of a crest with it (and a lot of heat shimmer like a mirage) !

So - here he comes - doing his 100+ MPH OK.... On my side a the road - I guess he figured he'd straighten out the bend some at his speed!

Well....

He swerved....and I sorta eased two wheels into the gravel my side...we slipped past each other clickin door handles...

I looked in the mirror to see him up on two wheels like a stunt driver (probably still doing his 100+)...then he dissapeared over the crest and I couldn't see him, but I sure could see a nighty big cloud a rest dust heading upwards.....I was sure he was gonna be dead....

I slowed enough to do a quick U turn and go back to see what damagae was done!

Well, you know that territorian, he got that ute back on 4 wheels - ran off his side of the road, over corrected - and shot across the highway sideways then headed off my side a the road - what seemed like a quarter mile before he brought her to a standstill...under full breaks the whole way!

Yup - he managed to hit a tree - the only tree for probably 4oo miles in any direction but he found it....and luckily enough it pulled him up solid with his railway Iron bull bar thing - big cloud a steam commin from the radiator - reckon the tree wasn't more than 4 ft tall.

So bein all a 17, young, dumb and fulla come, as they say -I got out and decided, if this guy wasn't already dead or badly injured - I was gonna punch his teeth so far down his throat he'd be needin to stick a toohbrush up his butt to clean his teeth for the rest of his life!

So I waltz off thru the spinifex in my stubby shorts and thongs (Flip flops for you Americans...not the string bikini things OK?)...and as I get near this territorians ute - he manages to extricate himself from the wreckage ...and unfolds himself outta this wrecked pile a scrap metal...

Yeah - all 6 ft 7 inches of him built like Arnie Swarzenegger!

You know - he had a Darwin Stubby in one hand - held it up, said - "Look at that, never spilled a drop"...with a big stoopid grin on his dial...as he took a big swig from the Half Gallon bottle! (They like their stubbies BIG in the territory!!).

So - about then and there I decided that discression was the better part of valour, enquired as to his well being, and upon hearing that he was OK - headed back to my car, thru the spinifex!

Well....

Anyone whose ever walked bare legged thru spinifex will probably know how I suffered for the next few days - legs on fire like fireants had eaten me alive...

You know.....

I've never been back to the territory...

They are a mighty weird crew these territtory folks...just don't know how to play nice & party hardy like the rest of us, and have many of their own "rules of the land & road" that they made up as they went along that kinda suits them just fine so it seems!!

I'm not sure that taking away their unregulated road speed limits would make much difference, coz in truth I don't think hardly any of them would pay the new laws any heed anyway!

If theres any place on Earth where nmormal laws don't apply - it's the territory!

In truth - the law should just stay the heck outta the territoty and let em all wear sidearms....

You know - A territorians idea of arms control is being able to hit the bullseye 9/10 wth his colt peacemaker!

Yep, I think the territorys the kinda place - they are gonna live by their own rules anyway!

Least thats how I remember it!
If it's changed - I don't wanna go back!
They's My kinda folks - lets not mess with a good system!
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

You know I got to Ayers Rock near the alice and some mongrel dingo ate a baby!

It all happens in the territory! Oh yeah did i mention some skin diver got eaten by a crock at Gove while we were up there inthat neck a the woods!

The territorys a place for big boys and their toys...and no place for the law!

Heck, Tennnant Creek was the last town in Aus to outlaw wearin sidearms in public, and that wasn't till the late 1940's.

Heck of a place the territory - be a damn shame to mess with it IMHO!

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2006, 03:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
haha... I am in stiches after that post...
I don't think hardly any of them would pay the new laws any heed anyway!
Thats the truth too...

Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Fred (BigF350) invited us FTE Northwestern Chapter (US) folks over to take look at his side of the world - to help us get to know him better.

Interesting... think I'll stick to US roads. We drive on the wrong side all of the time.

-Kerry

Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Originally Posted by kspilkinton
We drive on the wrong side all of the time.

-Kerry
Thats a new sig right there

Old 11-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Kinda sounds like the only laws it's possible to enforce there are Darwinian...

Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
I feel honored Fred...

This is a first, I've never been interantionally recognized for my brilliance.

-Kerry

Old 11-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
I'm still translating! LMAO