Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Ford Aerostar acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:18 PM
ramirezjason655
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Aerostar acceleration problem

Hey there I was wondering if anyone know what is wrong with my aerostar it's a automatic 1995 3.0l xlt and it is in good condition however when ever I put it in drive or something else I press the gas but the car doesn't move and it just revs up and then it jerks and starts moving. Can someone please help me

Old 12-23-2018, 11:21 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
You checked the transmission fluid level?

Old 12-23-2018, 11:33 PM
ramirezjason655
New User
Yes, I did check the trans fluid and it's fine I have to rev the car a lot to get it moving though.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:48 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Okay well if you checked the fluid ( engine running fluid warm) then you have a internal transmission problem.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:52 AM
viceman
New User
I have a 1994 automatic 4.0 xlt. If I understand your description right I had a similar problem recently. So if your engine temp gauge is warmer than usual ( if you have cold weather in your area like the 30 and 40 degree's (Fahrenheit) area the temp will fluctuate between above the halfway point and almost all the way to overheating. Also when you accelerate you hear valve knocking? also if you turn on your heater it is not hot but barely warmer than the temp outside(again if you are in an area with colder temps). check your radiator fluid level, I have no idea why but mine started doing what you seem to be describing and when I checked my radiator fluid level it was extremely low. I filled it up (remember wait for the air to bubble up and refill repeat as necessary) and it fixed the problem. another thing to check is engine oil. engine oil was low to and the check oil light did not come on for some reason. that is what I did first and it helped although it did not entirely fix the problem. Hope this helps.

Viceman

Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 PM
viceman
New User
another thing to check is the color of your transmission fluid. If the color of your transmission fluid is brown or as I suspect in your case some sort of greyish black color you need to change your transmission fluid even if it is full. Normal transmission fluid color should be some sort of pinkish color. If your transmission fluid is a greyish black you will need to clean it out. You can do it yourself, but any oil change place has a machine that will do a good job doing just that, although it is a bit on the expensive side. On the Aerostar van I inherited the transmission fluid was a greyish black and the place I went to had to run the machine twice and then fill it with new transmission fluid which stopped the have to rev it higher to get the transmission to engage. so either this or the one above might be your problem. in the one i described in my first post was more of a stutter followed by the engine stalling out. this one is where you have to rev it higher to get the engine to engage usually followed by a thunk. so until you can replace all of the transmission fluid with new you can rev the engine gentle and then keep it there and eventually it engage which is better then revving really high and and allowing the thunk to occur. again I hope either this or the one above helps you in your problem.

Viceman