Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:09 PM
wcklew
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck storage?

Ok I'm leaving next month to Iraq for a year. What can I do so my truck doesn't roit in my driveway? I have a friend that is goning to watch my house and start the truck up when he gets the mail. What can I do so she doesn't fall apart when I get back? Should I change the fuilds just to change them again when I get back? What fuilds do I change?

I was going to get some of these to help with mold:
SUM-HZD10000

Stay dry, with Zone Dry!
Before you tuck your car, camper, boat, or RV away for the season, protect the interior from mold, mildew, and corrosion with Summit Zone Dry. Each pouch absorbs its weight in moisture, and a colored indicator tab alerts you when a replacement is needed.

Thanks for any help.
Semper Fi
Warren

Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 PM
670johndeere
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I can't really comment on your question, but I would like to extend a big THANK YOU for what you and the rest of the Military Personell do for our freedom.

Stay safe
and again, Thanks

Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Yeah, stay safe and your country thanks you, though they may not seem to pay what they ought to. The best thing you can do is have someone drive it at least 2x a month on more than an around the block trip. That ought to do it. I have mothballed a vehicle when I went to the Gulf war in 1990. Basically parked it in the basement garage and put it up on jackstands. Since that is not an option for you, put fresh oil in and have someone do as I suggested. Even starting periodically will help. As for the interior rot, I don't think that is that big of an issue as the brakes, seals etc rusting or dry rotting from lack of use, meaning taking it for a spin.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:25 AM
AustinS
Laughing Gas
I agree with Tenn01PSD350 on getting someone to drive it around the block once or twice every few months.
All the seals & gaskets will thank you for that.

When ever I store a vehicle for an extended period I put a float charger on the batteries to keep them charged and ready to go. I got a cheapie at Harbor Freight for $7.49 that works great.

Last but most importantly, Thank You for your service!

Stay alert and alive and come back!

Austin

Old 11-27-2006, 06:03 AM
cedman
Senior User
Originally Posted by wcklew
Ok I'm leaving next month to Iraq for a year. What can I do so my truck doesn't roit in my driveway? I have a friend that is goning to watch my house and start the truck up when he gets the mail. What can I do so she doesn't fall apart when I get back? Should I change the fuilds just to change them again when I get back? What fuilds do I change?
Thanks for any help.
Semper Fi
Warren
This old Marine was going to offer to keep your rig at my house just north of Raleigh and drive it to church each Sunday in Wake Forest (20 minutes one way) until your return. That little amount of exercise each week should keep her in good shape ..... I'm serious; as deadly serious as I can be!

BUT ..... then I saw your sig; I also have a 99 4x4 and if I drove your rig with all those mods I'd have to start doing my own mods and then where would I be? I'd be safer in Iraq myself!!

CedricR.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
First off I want to thank you for what you doing for all of us.I think getting someone to drive it around a couple times a month and putting some fresh fuel into the tank will be the best thing you could do.Be safe and we will all be watching for your next post.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
I just bought a Solar powered Trickle charger off Ebay for $14. so now that its winter it keeps the battery charged when parked. then there are no cords running to your truck to trip on or forget to un-plug. It just sits in the dash and pluggin into the cig. lighter.
Take care and Cheers to your service to our Country.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't really help with your question either but.....Thank you. My hat is off to you, sir. God speed and be safe.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 AM
wcklew
Freshman User
thanks guys! I'm going to have a friends drive it around the block when he cuts my grass. Trickle charger is a good one too!

Old 12-17-2006, 03:21 AM
sweet03cobra
Elder User
hey man, I'm having the same problem myself, i'm in iraq and tried to have the wife start it and it is dead. Which charger did you go with? I saw some on there from VW that plug into the OBDII port, I wonder if that would work good?

Old 12-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sweet03cobra
hey man, I'm having the same problem myself, i'm in iraq and tried to have the wife start it and it is dead. Which charger did you go with? I saw some on there from VW that plug into the OBDII port, I wonder if that would work good?
Stay safe man. I say again, the best thing is to have it started and driven every so often, even if it is just around the block. Make sure that it gets up to full operating temperature. Just keeping the batteries charged is the least of what can become expensive, such as seals, or even flat spots on the tires.

I would have someone from the rear detachment charge them up and then make sure it is started and driven periodically. How is your family support group? Where are you out of?

Old 12-17-2006, 12:38 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
hey Sweet03cobra .. i see you're from Texas too . Do you want me to go take a look at it , charge the batteries and put new ones in if necessary for you???

Old 12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
wcklew
Freshman User
I got one off Ebay so I'll see how it's going to work. Item #160061501037

Old 12-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sweet03Cobra, I am in Texas too. Like TNT in Round Rock I am more than willing to help if you need it.

Stay safe over there.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:35 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
Thanks to both of you guys. I wish you the best and it sounds like people are here to help if you need it. Just be safe and we will think about all of you.

Quick Reply: truck storage?