First long trip with the Ole 99 F-350 gret ride but - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long trip with the Ole 99 F-350 gret ride but

Old 11-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Junior User

ex-wolverine is starting off with a positive reputation.
First long trip with the Ole 99 F-350 great ride but

Noisy as all get out!!!...I cant even talk to my family while driving...Are your trucks noisy on the road also?? The hutch mod quieted it down a tad, but I have to tell you that after 2600 miles of driving Im about deaf...

Have any of you done anything to quiet the road and interior noise down at all???

thanks

Tom

Last edited by ex-wolverine; 11-26-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Rather Be Floatin

RedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to beholdRedBoat is a splendid one to behold
Road noise or Diesel noise?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
No, I've made mine louder, on purpose. What RPM did you run at crusing?

If you can, try and fill up with some Biodiesel. The truck can run well on any percentage, the higher the %age, the quieter it ran. I ran b100 for two tanks, and it was amazing how quiet it was. If you have to run #2 because of availability, use some fuel additive, it should help quiet down the injectors. Was the noise you heard turbocharger whistle, tire noise (road noise), or engine noise? You can add insulation between the firewall to dampen the noise some. The newer trucks have several inches of white insulation under the dash.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Junior User

It was engine clakity clack and road noise

My muffler is fairly quiet...The engine runs like a top and I have not burnt an ounce of oil over 5,000 miles...I have no access to bio diesel...I do run diesile kleen in it once a while...

I just wish I could quiet the inside of the cab down.....The truck rides like a caddy and has sooo much room...Im almost tempted to get rid of this thing due to the interior noise.

Not to mention that Diesel here in Idaho is 2.99 a gallon
Old 11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Posting Guru

fxstbchopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fxstbchopper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just took mine about 1500 miles and it was fine I had no problems talking to my wife or son and I have a 6637 filter which I was told would make it louder and it does make the turbo louder which is cool as hell but really all in all that was about the only thing we could hear the turbo spool and waste. It was actually surprisingly quit but I dont have a lot done to my truck either.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Senior User

shenders99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You'll get used to it.

When I take the minivan out I am amazed at how quite it is!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Elder User

DavidT. is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's interesting. My 01 on the freeway is fairly quiet. Right around 65-70 I barely hear the motor, when I push the gas pedal I hear the turbo "pssssh" more than I do the motor. Just the other day I was telling my father how I thought Ford did a great job of quieting down the interior noise because the 7.3 is by no means a "quiet" motor. Around town though, that's a different story but that's because I have no muffler and love the turbo flutter
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Not a liberal...

Texas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant future
My '99 was far louder than my '02 was when I first bought it. The '02 is loud now because of the mods I have done to it but the '99 is all stock except for the exhaust. Even just sitting at idle in the driveway the '99 is deafening.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Post Fiend

Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
I noticed the In-Cab noise increasing and the lower door sweeps were dry and brittle (Not sealing well anymore) replaced them and back to a quiet ride
Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior User

zstyle01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
try to of that like dynomat ( i belive its called) for sound systems. should insulate the cab from out side noise plus rattling.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Junior User

Stroker4Life is starting off with a positive reputation.
Geeze those lower door sweeps are junk. I put new ones on and a few trips through the mud ripped the front rivets out of the rubber. Its happened twice now. Also what is the "hutch mod" ex-wolverine is talking about in his thread?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Junior User

click on the link..ITP diesel has a great kit also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker4Life
Geeze those lower door sweeps are junk. I put new ones on and a few trips through the mud ripped the front rivets out of the rubber. Its happened twice now. Also what is the "hutch mod" ex-wolverine is talking about in his thread?
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/hutch.html

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

Took me about 3 hours to do the mod

Tom
Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Post Fiend

Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.Uzumati has a good reputation on FTE.
Removing the mixing chamber and rerouting the return tube to eliminate air leaks, also "fixes" the quik connect spots pre pump that can suck air. You will want to add a filter prepump when you do this.
http://community.webshots.com/album/32614313yLKyrS/1
http://community.webshots.com/album/32303501JuYKPH
Old 11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Senior User

Wheatina is starting off with a positive reputation.
No...my 99 dually F350 isn't terribly loud. Sounds like a diesel, but not annoying at all. I have to turn the CD player down to hear it running just to be sure everything was running smoothly and I don't play music very loud. It's a lot quieter than I expected. I don't think there is anything special on it to keep it quiet. The doors seal very well though...maybe that helps. From what I know so far, mine is close to stock. Just bought it a few weeks ago with 107,000 mile s on it. Not a rattle or a squeak in it either.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Elder User

dcf4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.dcf4x4 has a good reputation on FTE.
I know how you feel ex-wolverine.

Just returned from 800 miles and it is rather loud so I just spent a few hours reading up on sound deadening.

All I need to do is figure out how much I really want to do. I'm not sure who it was but someone went all out and did it right. Even removed the entire dash down to the firewall so it could be sealed. I don't have that kind of "time" (pronounced "patience") but I intend on doing the footwells, doors, floor, and possibly the ceiling. It seems like the fastest and most effective way to make a difference.

The newer models of Fseries came with some extra padding to help absorb firewall sound leakage, at least that's what my research has told me.

Dynamat is pretty expensive but do a search for soundproofing and you'll get more then enough info and some real world experience from fellow FTErs. I'd give you my results but as soon as I discovered what i wanted I promptly closed the window before writing any of it down....

Good luck and keep us all posted. Those who read this in the future will thank you for the updates and info.