Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I meant oil in water!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:13 PM
avidbow
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I meant oil in water!

all... i posted a previuos note and titled it water in oil. that's backwards! I have engine oil in my antifreeze. Any thoughts? Jeff

Old 11-24-2006, 03:58 PM
l-m tech
Posting Guru
Either The Oil Cooler Is Leaking Or One Or More Ofthe Brass Injector Cups In The Cyl. Heads Have Crackes In Them Allowing High Pressure Oil Into The Coolant System

Old 11-24-2006, 08:51 PM
avidbow
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply. the oil cooler was replaced by the "dealer" before i purchased the truck. What makes me mad is the fact that it's still oil in the antifreeze and they didn't bother to re-check things.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:54 PM
avidbow
Freshman User
Thanks for the note. the oil cooler was supposedly replaced by the "dealer" before i bought the truck. Are the brass couplings located where the spark plugs would go in a gas motor? What are they like to replace? Is there any place where i can get info? Thanks, Jeff

Old 11-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Those cups he is referring to are the injector cups in the heads. If the stealership stated the have replaced or corrected the oil cooler problem, perhaps all you have is residual oil. Where are you seeing it? If it is in the recovery tank, is it increasing in volume and is the oil level on the stick going down? May just be the remnants working their way to the top.

Last edited by Tenn01PSD350; 11-25-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:24 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When you blow an oil cooler it takes a looooooong time to flush all the oil out. Assuming the problem has been corrected it will need to be flushed and refilled another half dozen times or more before you get all the oil out of the system.

Don't worry about the injector cups. When they fail they pass fuel into the coolant, not engine oil.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Would not a detergent based coolant flush dissolve all that oil and get it out of the system? I've cleaned out a couple of vehicles in the past using that method. Broken oil coolers will definatly foul the cooling system with oil.
It usually takes me two flushes in a row to get it all out.
I have to sell double flushes in a row at the shop, but once the customer understands what's going on they gladly pay for the job done correctly.
Once that is done all traces of oil are removed from the cooling system and I can refill with clean coolant.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:36 PM
avidbow
Freshman User
Cool

I flushed to cooling system out about 4 times with low sudsing dish washer soap. I flushed it, drove it, flushed it , drove it, flushed it, drove it. I replaced the water pump last week and the lower hose was just oozing oil out of it when i disconnected it from the radiator. I cleaned all the hoses with a strong degeaser and re-insalled them. the next day i put my finger in the "clear" container over the radiator and it came out looking like pure oil and no antifreeze. What can be a proper flushing liquid? The stealer told me he replaced the cooler. Now i wonder. How can i tell if it's been replaced? Will oil in the cooling system hurt anything? This is driving me nuts!!! Jeff

Old 11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by avidbow
Now i wonder. How can i tell if it's been replaced?
Check the bolts on the front and rear head for the oil cooler and see if they look "Cleaner" that the rest of the surrounding area.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
It sounds like the dealer "fixed" the truck issues before you bought it and it should be under warranty. Need I say more?

Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
avidbow
Freshman User
What warranty???? That's the first place i checked and they said... oh well... They did thier part by replacing the cooler and that's what "fixed" the problem! That's why they earned the name "stealership"

Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 AM
avidbow
Freshman User
What's a good "detergent" type coolant flush ? where can i get some? I noticed the engine oil dip stick isn't going down and also the coolant level in the bottle isn't going up. Good sign! Perhaps my dishwasing flush was not enough. Jeff

Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
That amount of flushing should have cleared it out. You still have a problem somewhere. Sorry to say.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:06 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by avidbow
What's a good "detergent" type coolant flush ? where can i get some? I noticed the engine oil dip stick isn't going down and also the coolant level in the bottle isn't going up. Good sign! Perhaps my dishwasing flush was not enough. Jeff
So basically you just have a residual oil film visible in the degas bottle and not any actual oil? If that's the case I'd just let it ride and monitor it for the next few weeks to make sure it isn't getting any worse.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM
avidbow
Freshman User
After deer hunting all day i went to my truck and showed a buddy what i'm talking about. I took the cap of the coolant bottle, put my finger into it and it came out looking like i just dipped my finger in a quart of oil!!!! I think i have more than a residual problem. I'm going to look over the cooler this weekend. Perhaps the stealer didin't relaces it like he said he did. Jeff