1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help.... My truck is still chugging. It's got to stop or it's going up for sale.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
mrfixit64857
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
I think I will definately need to take a look under my VCs in the real near future. Not because I have a problem but because I don't want to have one.
I was just thinking the same thing, lol!

Old 01-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless the accuator is mis adjusted it is closed when disconnected.

I was hoping to find something a little more defffinate when getting under there. Nothing really popped out and said "I am worse when cold". All the injectors tested out OK so tommorrow it goes back together with new harnesses, gaskets, orings, and washer. Then it sits untill the next good cold morning and we'll see.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Does anyone know how much boost can be lost with a leaking line (plastic one whether to map sensor or wastegate or boost gauge) or the fittings that go with that? Also, does anybody know how much boost can be lost, if any, through a perforated wastegate diaphram? I have no numbers for this.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Well the way I understand it 5psi closes the waistegate and 8psi has it fully open

At idle the WG duty cycle is 0%(open) when put in gear and starting easy it jumps to the high 90's(closed) as boost rises the duty cycle decreases indicating an opening WG. The solenoid can leak boost but the lines are removed from the actual engine boost by the solenoid.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:21 PM
GREGROB
Senior User
I have a friend who gained a little over 2lbs by putting hose clamps on every connection, Map line, etc and sealing leaks at the tap fitting.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:12 AM
John7894
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New Readings With Wastegate Disconnected..........

Here's my findings from yesterday. They are pretty much like the previous readings so something is wrong.

**WASTEGATE CONNECTED**
Outside temp - 56*F
Inlet temp - 60*F
Speed - 70mph, cruise control on.
RPM - 2000
This was on flat level ground (Lake Ponchartrain Causeway north of New Orleans). I observed this for 24 miles. Hey, there wasn't much else to do.

Baro press - 102.2kpa
Manifold absolute press - 104-107kpa
Manifold gauge press - 17-19kpa
Intake inlet temp - 124*C

Halfway through I stopped and disconnected the red hose going to the wastegate. After that I pulled back onto the road and floored it till 75mph. The SES light came on at 70mph (overboost). So with the tube disconnected it does build more boost.

**WASTEGATE DISCONNECTED**
Manifold absolute - 115
Manifolg gauge - 27

It ain't much difference, but it's some. BUT HERE'S THE KICKER...... Once the SES light went off the manifold and gauge readings came back down to what they were before, EVEN THOUGH THE WASTEGATE IS DISCONNECTED! Any ideas on this..........??????? Think the wastegate solenoid that is throwing the code is the culprit? Possibly it just plain doesn't work, or is stuck or something???? Or maybe since it doesn't work the PCM is causing a low boost
condition some kind of way?

I know I need to get a boost gauge in this thing...........

Now, Here's where I have a question. Where does that wastegate solenoid get it's boost pressure from to send through the red tube to the actuator? Is is plumbed from the intake through the back of the solenoid? The green line on there is connected to the intake tube before the turbo, so that's not it.

Alan,

Good to hear the injectors checked fine. Maybe it's just the looseness and the worn copper washers causing it? Sounds like a good enough diagnosis to me. Injectors loose causing pressure leakage around o-rings and not seating fully on the copper washer. What do you think. Hopefully that's all it is and then we'll be able to add something else to the what to check for column if this problem happens to anyone else.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
with Key On Engine OFF how close are BARO and MAP?

The Air temp looks a little suspicious also, I have trouble getting the Manifold Air temp to 120*F during the summer.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Yeah, the air temp looked suspect to me also. I'll check the baro and map with the key off anf let you know.

Sounds as ifthe wastegate solenoid is dead causing the code. Will the PCM revert to some default settings and fuel map if the overboost is tripped. Maybe that's why my boost went up when the SES was illuminated, then went down when it went out.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
PCM should defuel at about 24psi. these pascals are making my head hurt, to much high school math.

Can you read EOT (Engine Oil Temp) compare it to intake temp and ambient on a cold engine should all jive within a degree or so.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:27 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
Haven't found engine oil temp. I checked the BARO against the MAP with the key on/engine off. The MAP is 85kpa and the BARO is 100kpa. The BARO is correct (100kpa is roughly 14.5psi which is atmospheric pressure). Sounds like the MAP is bad as well. The manifold gauge is actually below zero pressure. It's pegged out at is max range value which is somehere near 16,xxx.xx.

Now, here's what I know about pressure transducers from working with them on monitoring/automation systems. You can get them referenced to either 1) vacuum, 2) atmosphere 3) a specific reference pressure.

Do we know what the MAP is referenced to? I can see the BARO being referenced to zero pressure. This way it can measure atmospheric pressure. Do you think the MAP is the same or referenced to atmosphere and just so happens to be bad?

Possibly the MAP being wrong is causing the wastegate solenoid code throwing and the wastegate solenoid is good. I would think it's good since the solenoid actually works. I guess it works since I only throw an overboost code when it's unplugged.

As usual, I'm open to any/all suggestions. Tomorrow I'll try to call Diablosport and see what, if any, more parameters the live logging on a PC through the programmer will show.

Also, I have a cure for those pascals. Get this conversion programmer from here. It's one of the best free ones I've ever used.

http://joshmadison.net/software/convert/

Thanks again

Last edited by John7894; 01-04-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Well to consider it bad Ford wants to see a greater than 1.5psi difference or about 10-11kpa. I think the MAP is 0 reference also since it measures total pressure in the manifold. On mine say BARO is 14.7 at idle MAP is ~14.7 +/-0.2. On acceleration BARO is 14.7 MAP is say 22.7 and Gauge pressure is 8.0 and mechanical boost gauge is 8.0

John PM me your email again and I can send you the pinpoints for the waistgate and MAP

Last edited by Uzumati; 01-04-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:51 PM
John7894
Cargo Master
I pulled the chip this evening after the rain stopped. I drove it a little, cleared the codes and shut it off. It's been sitting for about 4 hours now without being ran.

I just checked the codes and some of the codes are back. The codes pertaining to a programmer being installed and a PCM keep alive memory code was there. Not sure what to think about this since earlier I know I cleared the codes, rechecked them and made sure they were gone. And I JUST checked them and they are back..........hhhhmmmmmmmmm

Wonder if the PCM is possibly the culprit. Anyway I'll drive it without the chip, get some readings and go from there.

The Intake Air Temp is still reading 138*C so it's bad for sure. BUT the MAP and BARO are within 2kpa of one another now.......

I'm about to shoot an email to Diablosport to see if this thing will read engine oil temp.

Alan, if you have anything pertaining to the checking of the Intake Air Temp sensor would you mind emailing it over to me? It appears to be stuck at 138*C with a volt reading of about 2.59vdc..... I want to make sure it's the sensor and not the harness or PCM......

Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
Unplug the temp sensor and see if it changes the reading and post the codes.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Well, while you await Alan on that, I will say that a long time ago I came across a site that discussed the IAT function on the Cummins. I posted the link here, (I was a semi newbie), and it did not go over well. I don't think I can find the link anytime soon but the gist of it was that in that particular engine it was blamed as the culprit for poor fuel economy and engine performance when it was faulty. It seems that in that application that the puter would make fuel strategy decisions based on the IAT sensor.

Since I do not have the algorythmm for the ford PCM, I don't know to what extent this faulty item would affect our rigs. Again, I will say that Ford and international did not put any sensors in the truck just for giggles. Mine is zip tied to a brake line but I have often wondered about that. I have had no problems but have also considered plumbing it back in.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
John7894
Cargo Master
Thanks mech, I didn't think of that. Where is the manifold air intake sensor? Is it the one that should be in the air filter housing? Or is it in the manifold somewhere.

That damn chip was suspect to say the least. The MAP and BARO match now as well as the boost is higher and the number for the fuel used (read as mpg) is higher too.... Either the chip is bad or it just skews the numbers that way to get what it wants from the PCM.

No codes as of yet. None, period....... I'll look into the manifold air intake sensor and unplug it.......

Quick Reply: Need help.... My truck is still chugging. It's got to stop or it's going up for sale.