1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What Wiper Motor Assy is this (on my 54) ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Apr-02 AT 03:38 PM (EST)]Hi. Please take a look at the pics. This Wiper Motor Assy was on my 54 F100. It does not look like what Dennis Carpenter or John's Fun Hundred have in their catalogs. What is it ? Any idea. Thanx.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=3954&.jpg

Old 04-20-2002, 02:50 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Kai

Sure doesn't look anything close to stock. I have 54 linkage with a 6V motor on ebay for sale right now that is going very cheap if you need one. The linkage will clean up nice, no idea if the motor is any good and it could be removed to save weight. Auction ends Sunday night 6PM Chicago time. The number is 1821528319 or search for buyer dewaynereding(No Email Addresses In Posts!) It currently has a bid for $9.95 which is a steal. I am just cleaning out the shed. Auction probably states US and Canada bidders only but I'll deal with the foreign shipping if you are in a jam.

Dewayne

Old 04-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Kai
Elder User

Dewayne, thanx for the offer. Right now I do not plan to use something else. I was just wondering what I have. It fits OK and it worked OK (17 years ago). Someone must have fitted this one many years ago. The truck was last registered in 78 in Texas.

Old 04-20-2002, 06:00 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Kai

It dawned on me right after I posted that you are not in dire need of any windshield wipers just yet. You are at least a good week away from driving her

Dewayne

Old 04-21-2002, 12:15 PM
bcguys
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, is it perhaps an MGB style cable drive unit? I have heard of this used in many awkward scenarios.

Old 04-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Kai
Elder User

This idea about the assy being from an MG does not sound bad. I remember that the guy I bought the truck from mentioned that the Chevy engine it came with was installed by someone who had a shop especially for British Cars. I'll further check on that. Thanx.

Old 04-21-2002, 02:09 PM
barry
Postmaster

Beware of the MGB and any British Leyland stuff. Remember the saying about anything made by Lucas electic? " The Prince of Darkness" and Why do the British drink warm beer? Thier refrigerators are all Lucas!

Old 04-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Kai
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Apr-02 AT 01:00 AM (EST)]Barry, I agree. I used to share a place with a bunch of friends working on MGs, Austin Healeys and Triumph TR6s. I was the only one with a real car there. By the way, all my gauges are from Smith. That's also British. Guess I should not rely on what they tell me. I will still try to use the wiper motor and the gauges as that's what I have and I am on a budget. However, as for the wiper motor I still need to figure out what the four different color wires are for. I took the assy off about 15 years ago and my memory isn't good enough. Maybe I should go to an MG forum ?!?! Thanx again.

Old 04-22-2002, 11:18 PM
bcguys
Junior User

Please don't label me as an MG guy, but I have the wiring diagrams, and the early models (pre '68) were 12 volt/positive ground and had four wires. There was both a single and dual speed unit (both had four wires!) and if you need to know, I can tell you the colors and how to connect them!

Old 04-23-2002, 02:56 AM
Kai
Elder User

Thanx for the offer to help with the wiring. After wiping off a thick layer of grease from what I believe is the transmission on the wiper motor the name "Lucas" (Oh my god) popped up. On the revers side there's something like an upside down Mercedes logo (the star) followed by the number "75664E", next line "14W" and next line "12V 32 73". There's a connector block and I also have the connector/cable which I believe went to the wiper switch. The color coding is (wiper motor cables to connector block - connector/cable) is as follows: yellow - n/c; blue - black; red - red/green; n/c - green/red; n/c - green. This tells me that only two wires are actually connected between the switch and the wiper motor (the blue to black and the red to red-green. Does that possibly mean that there's just one-speed ? What about the yellow coming from the wiper motor ? Or is there some circuitry in that connector block ? Any help is highly appreciated. I removed the photo from my gallery. Please let me know if you need to see it again. I'll then put it back. Thanx.

Old 04-23-2002, 07:42 AM
barry
Postmaster

There's a used 53-56 wiper motor on Ebay right now, starting at $9.95 if you're interested.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:37 AM
Kai
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Apr-02 AT 09:38 AM (EST)]Barry, thanx for the info. However, guess the 53-55 unit is a 6Volt and also does not include the mechanics/linkage. The 56 unit (also on ebay) wont't fit my 54. For now I'll stick to what I have hoping to get the wiring info promised above. Thanx again.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:19 AM
bcguys
Junior User

Kai,
I hate to tease, but I hope you are on track. My MGB info does not support your info. No color match to your specs '60's,70's,80's. Could be Triumph or Jaguar or Rover or W.H.Y. If I find more, will let you know!

Old 04-26-2002, 12:46 AM
Kai
Elder User

Thanx anyway and don't worry. I'll find out. There's some local guys working on british cars around Frankfurt and I guess I'll just take my unit along and hope they can tell me. Otherwise I might just give 12V on the two wires which were connected and see if it turns (or burns).

Old 06-11-2002, 09:30 AM
arthurr
New User
Post What Wiper Motor Assy is this (on my 54) ???

You can connect the motor as follows; if all else fails:

1) Take the motor off to expose the brush plate: if there are three brushes, it is two speed. If there are three brushes (which three wires seems to indicate, the brush by itself is ground; the brush exactly opposite the ground is high speed, and the brush to the side of the high speed brush is ground.

2)These three wires go to the bottom of the park switch, on the three available tabs. Dosen't much matter where.

3) Now if you look at the top of the park switch, there are two tabs that are not pass-throughs from the tabs below: these are the park switch itself.

4) To make this work, connect the ground brush to ground. This is the easy part.

5) Now locate a single-pole-three-throw switch: (I know that International has one that works; just be sure you get one that is intended for the newer three-brush motor, and not for a field shunt). Connect the common on the switch to +12.

6)Connect one park switch (identified in 3) above) tab to the off tab on the dash switch, and the other park switch tab to the slow tab on the park switch, and to the output you want to be slow speed on the dash switch.

7) Connect the fast brush to the fast tab on the dash switch.

This is actually fairly easy if you keep track of what wire you connected to where.

Connect the fast tab on the park switch tab