Its only basic physics

Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that when you apply the brakes you are using energy. Why not a system of some type that can re-cycle this energy and use it to at least get the car moving again Maybe a combination of electric and AIR PRESSURE used together. A light weight air tank doesnt weigh much, and you get plenty of pumping ability when you apply the brakes.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 AM
furball69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pud
How about this....an electric motor, with a charging system in the driveline so it replenishes the power required to drive the battery. That would take alot of engineering to figure out how to turn a small amount of current into a large amount, safely.
Actually, it wouldn't take any engineering to figure out. It's already been figured out.

What you are proposing is called perpetual motion machine and it cannot exist for a number of reasons.

Even if you only want to generate a small amount of energy from a generator attached to the driveline, while an electric motor is propelling the vehicle, it is pointless. The energy that is created by the generator was used by the electric motor in propelling the motor and turning the generator + the losses in heat (resistance in the wiring) and friction in the bearings of the generator. It is pointless, to say the least.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
They are testing the hybrid hydraulic vehicles in applications like garbage trucks that drive 100 feet, stop, drive 100 feet, stop, etc etc. It is a perfect application for that type of technology.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:35 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pud
. That would take alot of engineering to figure out how to turn a small amount of current into a large amount, safely.
Changing current and voltage is increadibly easy. You use a transformer. You can take any input current and transform it into any output current you want. The catch is however the total POWER (IE Watts) in the system remains constant. So if you take a small current and make it larger, the voltage will drop. Power = current X Voltage. Power is what does the work in the system.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:42 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 76supercab2
Changing current and voltage is increadibly easy. You use a transformer.
As long as you have AC.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:50 AM
pud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pud
That would take alot of engineering to figure out how to turn a small amount of wattage into a large amount, safely
there fixxed lol

Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM
furball69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by aurgathor
As long as you have AC.
post deleted, I was halucinating.

explanation, I was sure I saw someone run a florescent bulb off a 9V battery once, but can't find any info on how it was done.

Last edited by furball69; 11-22-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by furball69
post deleted, I was halucinating.

explanation, I was sure I saw someone run a florescent bulb off a 9V battery once, but can't find any info on how it was done.
Chopper (square wave) and a transformer. They do it all the time in DC powered camp lights. The 9V battery probably didn't last long if they were using a regular 40W fluorescent.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:32 PM
pud
Posting Guru
just to clear things up...I dont know jack about electricity, but my far fetched idea was to take a hypothetical 1watt, and turn it into a hypothetical 10kwatts. That way theres always enough power being created to continue driving the vehicle and charge its battery.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:11 PM
furball69
Postmaster
Thanks Torque!

Pud,

The first thing to know about creating electricity is that it takes more energy to create it than you get out of it. If you have a 5KW/hr generator producing full power, I'll bet you a gazillion billion dollars that the engine running the gen is burning more than 5Kw/hr worth of energy.

Yes, you can do it, make an electric motor create energy. In a closed system, it will only work until the battery is dead, which will be a shorter time than if the generator was taken off the driveline. Seeing as how the generator would be a net loss on the system.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:18 PM
furball69
Postmaster
I seem to recal reading a Popular Mechanics many moons ago and there were some possible 'future' ideas in there. One was a flywheel or several flywheels that would get their spinning energy from the braking of the vehicle, the key was frictionless bearings. I wonder how they're doing with that... maglev and superconductors and such. I wouldn't discount the frictionless bearing idea as it appears to be in full function with the maglev trains that are operating.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:52 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by pud
my far fetched idea was to take a hypothetical 1watt, and turn it into a hypothetical 10kwatts.
Would be nice, wouldn't it?

In any case, that would be a "perpetuum mobile", and it's been proven for at least a century, that they are impossible.

Note, however, there are some "free" sources of energy, sun light and wind, just to name a few. Alas, they're not practical for production cars.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by furball69
I seem to recal reading a Popular Mechanics many moons ago and there were some possible 'future' ideas in there. One was a flywheel or several flywheels that would get their spinning energy from the braking of the vehicle, the key was frictionless bearings.
There are several problems with flywheels -- one is their weight, another is that when they spin reasonably fast, they try to preserve their momentum, and that may interfere with the vehicle's movement.

I don't know what's available on bigger trucks, but as far as I know the only type of regenerative braking available on production cars is eletric. Popular Mechanics had many interesting ideas that were not practical for one reason or another.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:04 PM
pud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aurgathor
Would be nice, wouldn't it?
lol well thats what I was sure thinking.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:34 PM
thefarelaneman
Posting Guru
THE SOLUTION IS TO BRING BACK THE STEAM ENGINE. Y0U CAN THEM BURN YOUR TRASH, RUN YOUR CAR AND COOK A NICE HOT BREAKFAST AT THE SAME TIME...WHY NOT? and dont say it would cause polution...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Its only basic physics