1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

adding an overhead console, 97 F-150, XLT

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question adding an overhead console, 97 F-150, XLT

I want an overhead console. I want the Computer and Compass up there, also the outside temp.

I'd be willing to bet Ford had that for my 97 XLT.
The question is: If I found one from somewhere???
Is the wiring and etc already in the Truck to let me add this console right into the truck?

PS: I have a little Red LED in the Dash just to the left of the Steering wheel, and there's a little speaker out under the Hood on the firewall that has been disconnected.
That makes me think that I have a Burglar alarm in there somewhere, and maybe those Key Fobs might work my door locks as well.
Does anybody know about that?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:26 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey man if you find out more about the overhead consol let me know, I would love to put one in my truck also. I know they arent 100 percent accurate and stuff, but they sure do look neat!

Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
I'll do it.
I've seen them on eBay, but never even bid because I wasn't sure I could make it work if I did win it.

I used to live in Seattle and Anchorage. I commuted, and I've been through Chilliwack.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:53 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It has been a few years sine I got a console and then never installed it. From what I remember the '97's and I think '98s do not have the bracket nor the wiring in the headliner. You will need the console and the temp sensor that goes in the engine bay. Other than that you just need to run a hot wire to it and ground as well as figure out how to mount it. I went with an explorer console but never came up with an easy way to mount it short of dropping the whole headliner and welding a bracket in. My second thought was to use the upper windhield area and try to mount something stout enough there that it could go out in the ceiling a bit and support a console, but never came up with anything good.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Thanks for the Sage advice Galaxi.
I'll not go for anything like that. If it dont bolt up and wire up as in the factory, I'm not gonna bother with it.
I have a Whisky compass on the Dash.

I would like to have the Remote Key lock feature though. I thought all that came with the XLT's in 97 and up, but I called the Factory 800 number and gave her my VIN number.
She told me my truck did not come with the 'interior customer convience group' which means all I got for my XLT was Three doors, electric locks, windows and mirrors.

When can you ever believe any general statement from an Auto mfg'r who changes the assembly lines in the middle of a model year?

Old 11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
I forgot about the lock question, the '97 XLT's were really a fancy XL compared to what they got in '99+ I have had arguments with people at Alarm shops about my '97 and how it does NOT have a PATS system yet they swear up and down ford put them in, in '97+. I figured if they don't know that they don't need to be putting an alarm in my truck. Also IIRC in '97 and '98 there was a regular cab Lariat option, which is incredibly rare to find. I have a reg. cab LB XLT 4wd with a 5.4L and is white, which I have yet to see another of.

If you really want a compass and temp. gauge I got an autodark mirror that has comp. and temp and is super easy to wire in for about $250. You don't realize how nice the autodark is until you drive a car without it after you have had it.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:43 PM
rtpalin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly the visors are a little shorter also

Rick

Old 11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Yeah there was an issue with visors I think that is why I got an explorer console and not an expedition or F150 but it was too long ago to remember.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 AM
kyfireopal
New User
I have a 97 f150 4.6 4x2 that has the alarm system built into it. It also has the weirdest thing that even the dealers say they don't know why its like that, but the exhaust pipe comes out on the passenger side right in front of the rear tire. They weren't made like that in 97. Any ideas on why mine is like that?

Old 12-05-2006, 12:37 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Yes the trucks without the consol have longer visors, and the consol trucks have shorter ones to allow room for it... i know this cause i also checked into a consol... and for the remote doorlocks you need to get a new dash harnes... which will require you to pull most of the dash... it would be a several hour project and you will also need to have the modules that plug into the new harnes for the remote.... i think the PCM has the plugs built in so it should be all plug and go if you get your hands on a harness... I hope this sheds some light for you guys...

Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 AM
Tomcat7742
Posting Guru
I have a 99' with the long visors, I don't have any kind of bracket and have never seen wiring up there when I took off my headliner. I may double check tomorrow and see if maybe I missed something.

I've been wanting an overhead console myself, I've seen some custom jobs. I have even seen where a guy moved his a/c & heat up into his overhead console. Then I saw all the wiring that he had to move around and said to heck with that, it looked cool though.

- Chris

Old 12-05-2006, 09:50 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Red face

Originally Posted by kyfireopal
I have a 97 f150 4.6 4x2 that has the alarm system built into it. It also has the weirdest thing that even the dealers say they don't know why its like that, but the exhaust pipe comes out on the passenger side right in front of the rear tire. They weren't made like that in 97. Any ideas on why mine is like that?
I have a 97, F-150, XLT, 4.2 auto, 4x2 and the exhaust comes out just in front of the Passenger side rear wheel. They probably all do.

BURNS, thanks for the heads up. I dont know how to get that headlineer down without wrecking somethig or I'd look at mine for wireing.

I've been told that my 'alarm' system is probably after-market and somewhere in that truck they had a small processor. Probably up under the Dash.
That may be the answer to my "Dim dash light on the Tach side" and the goofy intermittent Wipers/Washers problem. It might be a Mechanics track from when they removed the Alarm processor as they got ready to sell the truck.

I think that overhead console would be cool too, but some really great things are just not worth the trouble.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 AM
jrlowscot
Mountain Pass
kyfire

Your exhaust pipe came out in front of the rear wheel. Mine did that also untill I put duals on it. I thought that was on most/ some 97's only. Thought it looks silly

Old 12-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
I probably shouldn't tell folks these things, but....

When we were kids, we'd cut the exhaust pipe at the back of the Muffler.
We'd use the crooked pieces to re-route the exaust out at the rear end of the Running boards.

There were two good resons for doing that.
One, the Exhaust would rot out somewhere near that back axle and the exhaust gasses would eat the Brake lines, the Trunk deck, up around the back end of the car and the chrome would begin to peel off the back bumper.
The Truck deck handle and the Hinges were plated and the plating would begin to bubble.

Re-routing that Pipe out the side was a Cheap fix.
And we could take those danged Mud flaps off

If we happend to have Smitty's or Glass Pac's we got the benefit of hearing the Exhaust note.

Anytime a Cop saw those pipes sticking out the side of the car, he could stop you and make you rev the engine (almost to death) so he could hear if your pipes had a Crack to the sound. Especially around one of the High Schools.

For Drag racing we ran the pipes straight down to the ground. Ending squarly pointing to the ground.

When you hit the gas, the whole car would lift up a little and the Dust and dirt would fly in all directions as if there'd been an explosion under the Car.
What a Roar it made inside the Car. And the guy inside the Car was the one it had to please.

Some girls would get a thrill at that, but nobody wanted to ride in a noisey car like that for very long.
Which was probably the insite that brought on the invention of 'Lakers'!

We did mess up some good breathing air back in those days.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:02 PM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Ya when i got my 99 it had an alarm system on it and was funky as heck... had remote start to but ever time i used it, it would leave the starter running... wierd.. i hate those hokey aftermarket ones especially if i didnt put it in my self.. .so i cut the stupid thing off....really made a mess under my dash... My truck does have the passive system which to my understanding it incorperates a chip in the Key.( thats why there so big) and a blinking light like the real alarm systems on the vehicles to deture any theves... any body else know of any passive alarms on the F-150's?

Quick Reply: adding an overhead console, 97 F-150, XLT