Modular V10 (6.8l)  

2005 v10 power upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:13 PM
insanemoto1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 v10 power upgrades

New here. Havent seen any upgrades for 2005 and up V10s. Are there any out there? Truck is 4 sale right now but if security clearance comes through soon I'm going to keep her.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to FTE and good luck on the "clearance"

Not too much really to be done to the already near perfect 3v V10. Ford first released this motor in a 275HP configuration, upped it to 295, then to 310 and finally to 362HP...several of us have had most of the versions and have some dyno time playing with various modifications...

the 99-04 2v V10 responded well to to logical and modest mods... the 3v V10 seems about maxed out unless you go expensive and exotic..

There are no after market exhaust systems that prove worth the money, same with intake. There are no blowers or turbo kits for it and about all you will find that can yield any feel-able power is a "chip" programmer with a custom burn.

Since yours is an 05 that means you got either the 4.10:1 or the 4.30:1 rear gears, so a re-gear to lower 4.56s or 4.88s won't help very much unless you are lifting and going large on the tires. Then it is required to maintain the 70MPH cruise RPM in the 2150-~2220 range.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:16 AM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a dito on fred here!

i've tried most of whats out there for the 3 valve type v10 and found them a waste of my hard earned cash, ford really did their home work on this one. the cast iron stock maifolds flow and work just as well as a set of headers. cold air kit from afe is only a dyno proven 3 hp gain, other then these there is not much out for this motor.

exhaust wise every one's on thier own there. i personally found them way to loud inside for my personal liking. again here every one has their own taste. just don't look for a big v8 sound. thats not going to happen because of the fireing order of every 72 degs. i found the sound more to be more like that of a old 2 stroke detroit diesel marine motor

what did work was finding a near by to you dealer for sct's excalibrater 2 tuner and haveing them custom tune for where you live. that alone netted 15 hp. www.sctflash.com type in your zip code and talk to the locals

almost all the lost power on the new ones can be found in the programing of the motor and the trans. in your case a 5r110w. ford programs in a torque reduction to increase trans life and softer shifting on stock trucks. taking it out a little helps. the retuning the dealer can do. that

but a word of advise! i have acsease to a sct dealers software from working part time for him "we are a fte web site sponser" i took out to much and blew my trans! leave the torque reduction in place and just increase the shift feel, by no more then 10%. that's safe and the feel is great, do not tune to change the shift point in mph. it dosn't help. it hurts.

have the dealer add 4 to 6 degs of timeing to the gobal. fuel by 5 to 10%. add end user programabilty. for timing. tires, fuel, shift feel, and rear axle ratio. make sure he knows what you have when he starts in axle ratio and tire sizes.

if he dosen't have that info .you will find the truck hunts for 4 th gear at about 70 to 75 mph. and under full throttle. i really mean it will hunt by shifting up and down till you get out of it. the 5r110w is a totally electric trans, the valve body has no moveing valves to shift only solinodes. so it most know what is electronicly to start with.

i wish you luck and for a stock truck you will be amazed about what it can do.and welcome to fte man! what branch of our services are you in? since you say i'm waiting clearence.