Need a little help with the fan....

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:56 PM
rspreng
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little help with the fan....

I am of course talking about the cooling fan on the 4.2L 1997 F-150. Just how the heck do you get it to break loose. I got the "special" tools from the auto store (they sure have some slop in them) and I read that the you have to turn the nut/hub CW to loosen, but I can't get the thing to break. I have extension on the tools and I am giving it everyhing I can which is not enough evidently. Any tips or tricks? All help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
fplorer
Senior User
I think they are left handed threads.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
rspreng
New User
The answer is....

I stopped by the Ford dealer and spoke with a mechanic; here is the answer that needs to be posted somewhere:

It is ENGINE DEPENDANT what answers the direction depends on the direction that the pulley spins with the engine running:

Example:

My 1997 F-150 4.2L spins the water pump pulley Counter Clockwise so in order to loosen it needs to be removed in the same direction CCW.

As a side note, Ford said that there will be a note on the label denoting left hand threads for the fan but he was unsure if the labels are on all models, thus why it is best to note the direction of the pulley is spinning.

I hope this helps any others that need this information.

Bob