Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Best Aftermarket Floor Automatic Shifter ??? Lokar or ... ???

Old 08-08-2002, 02:53 PM
Kai
Elder User
Kai is starting off with a positive reputation.

Greetings from Germany !

I am searching for a floor automatic shifter for my 54 F100 (C4 Automatic). So far I have found what Lokar offers and I wonder if anyone is using their regular 23" shifter or their 23" double bended nostalgia shifter ?!?! I contacted Lokar tech support and they suggest the regular 23" for my application (I will have a bench seat installed). Or is their any other manufacturer ? I know of Gennie Shifters. However, they seem to be pretty identical to Lokar and also the price is in the same range ($180 - $200). I also wonder if there's a low budget solution which would also give me such a long shifter lever. I had a cheap floor shifter before, but that required to lean down for shifting.

Any help / idea is very much appreciated !!! Thanx.

:-)

Old 08-08-2002, 09:13 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
darkman is starting off with a positive reputation.

Kai,

I have been looking at the Lokar shifters. They look pretty good. I will have a bench seat in my 57 and want it to look like a factory 4 spd shifter. Does Gennie have a web site? I would like to find a cheaper altenative and may try to make my own. I was thinkong something along the idea of a factory Ford under floor shifter from the mid 70's and attaching the 57 shifter too it. I think it would be fairly easy to do. What do you think.

Does anyone see any pitfalls in this line of thinking?

Restoring at the speed of a slow sick snail !

Charles in Pensacola

57 F100 adding Blown 312 auto
86 F150

Old 08-08-2002, 10:59 PM
jozs56ford
Freshman User
jozs56ford is starting off with a positive reputation.

i bought the $40 shifter from autozone, cut it off at the rug line, ground down the chrome coating to steel and welded my original shifter on top. came out good. looks just like it did before.
hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2002, 10:30 AM
fordgo
Senior User
fordgo is starting off with a positive reputation.

i did the same thing i searched until i found the lokar nostalgic shifter on sale in a summit speed parts catalog the had the lowest price plus the shipping was free fotr the states at least the installation was very easy and the instructions were very clear i put it in my 54 f-100 that has a 390 with a c-6 transmission the thing that i like about the lokar shifter is the mounting plate has alot of mounting holes for the shifter you have about 6-8 inches back and forth for the shifter to mount i mounted mine forward so that in park the shifters about inch or so from the dash. i have buckets but where its at it should clear a bench seat when i find what i want to put in it
gee ooh

Old 08-09-2002, 10:40 AM
51f1
Senior User
51f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Do you have to drop the tranny to install the Lockar on a C4?

Old 08-09-2002, 01:24 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
cabby daddy is starting off with a positive reputation.

lokar is nice.... but what about Hurst? they seem to be the poor mans answer

Old 08-09-2002, 01:32 PM
cabby daddy
Senior User
cabby daddy is starting off with a positive reputation.

kia... did a search ( Hurst, floorshift) and came up with this link...
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gofast/hurunfloorsh.html

they have a shifter, with linkage for $79.95

I used on of these years ago (in a chebby) , with no problems ( at least shifting problems)

but this was back when i was young, dumb and full of............. never mind

Old 08-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Kai
Elder User

Thanx for all the thoughts.

I also checked the Gennie site at http://www.hotrodhotline.com/gennie/, however, their shifters are in the same price range as Lokar (i.e. $180 - 200).

I just checked Hurst. They have the 'Pro Matic 2 Truck' shifter which has that bulky chrome housing and costs $159,95 at Summit. I'd rather spend another $30 and go for the Lokar.

Interesting thought to buy a cheap aftermarket floor automatic shifter and attach a long stick to it. I just wonder how the reverse lock would work ?!?! I understand that the **** has a button for it or there is a little handle just below the **** which you need to pull / press to shift from park thru reverse to drive, etc.... How would that work if you make your own stick ? Anyone done this before ? Guess there's shifters which have this switch or lever at the bottom (i.e. on the housing), but that would not work with a truck as you have to lean down to shift. No good I guess.

Any more ideas ?!?!? Thanx amd Greetings from Germany !

:-)

Old 08-11-2002, 08:19 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
darkman is starting off with a positive reputation.

Kai,

Did they have reverse lock outs in the 50's? With the long throw that you would have in a truck it might not be necessary. Some shifters were set up where you had to move the shifter sideways to a different gate to access reverse or park. I would think that would be the best way. How does the Lokar shifter do it?

Restoring at the speed of a slow sick snail !

Charles in Pensacola

57 F100 adding Blown 312 auto
86 F150

Old 08-11-2002, 09:21 PM
fordgo
Senior User

just a thought i dont know what the junkyards are like over there but i was thinking if you have something like the ford areostar van in germany they came with floorshifts that were fairly tall with a reverse lockout altho it was a fourspeed auto in them you could adjust the linkage to use on a c4 just a thought to kick around

gee ooh

Old 08-11-2002, 10:54 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.

Fordgo

Could you be talked into taking a specific measurement for me? I love the looks of the Lokar Nostalgic but the double bend has me concerned with my overstuffed but stock 53 bench seat. I am running a similar drivetrain as Kai and the info would likely help him out too. I am curious how far back the shifter is from firewall in first gear at seat height (about 12 inches on my truck to keep it simple)

Thanks
Dewayne

Old 08-12-2002, 01:06 PM
fordgo
Senior User

dewayne
i took a couple of measurements for you keep in mind that my shifter was not mounted all the way forward on the mounting plate it was adjusted to were it was comfortable to me the pivot of the shifter is 10" from the bumpout of the firewall the top of the shifter is 6 3/4" from the dash in park and 13" in first. at a height of 12" off the transcover park is 12 1/2" from the firewall and first is 17 1/2" off the firewall all the above measurements are taken from the center line of the shifter as i said before this was a comfort fit for me and the seats i have right now i plan to put in a bench also when i find one that i like i dont know how far your trans is away from you trans cover plate but with the c6 and the front end i have mine is right below the cover so most of my shifter is above the cover i hope this helps for you.
gee ooh

Old 08-12-2002, 02:33 PM
Kai
Elder User

I did contact Lokar's tech support by e-mail asking if the 23" regular straight stick or the nostalgic stick would be the better fit for my 54 with bench. They said that I should use the 23" straight. However, they did not say why the nostalgic would not fit. I prefer the nostalgic and from what I see here I assume that it works ok. However, I would prefer a home made low cost solution and hope that someone has another good idea.

Greetings from Germany !:-)

Old 08-12-2002, 03:56 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.fatfenders has a good reputation on FTE.

Fordgo

Thanks for your trouble. It sounds like the Nostalgic will clear a bench seat by plenty. My seat is about 23 inches from the firewall bumpout.

Dewayne

Old 08-12-2002, 05:16 PM
63unibody
Junior User
63unibody is starting off with a positive reputation.