A4LD from 3.0 Aerostar into 2.3 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
tyrfryer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A4LD from 3.0 Aerostar into 2.3 Ranger

I'm going to swap the trashed A4LD from my 93 Ranger 2.3 with one from a 94 Aerostar 3.0. Both were 2wd & the electronics should be the same. I know the bellhousings are different and I'll have to swap that from the old to the new. I'm not sure about the tailshaft extension housings and the shifter linkages (I haven't actually taken the one outta the Ranger yet). Both were column shifted 2wd trannys, the one from the 2.3 is a 93, the 3.0 is a 94. I know I'll need a special alignment tool for the bellhousing swap. Any thoughts or experience anyone would be willing ot share? Thanks.

PS The reason I don't post much is cause I don't have much to offer.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
tyrfryer
New User
TTT - I'm gonna start pulling the one outta the ranger tonight - some advice would be very welcome - before I FUBAR it. OMG!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bellhousing may not be interchangeable. The reason is that the bellhousing is half of the pump body. In order for them to be interchangeable they will need to be and exact match to the pump body section of the original bellhousing.

You must be sure to properly torque the bellhousing to the rest of the pump body or the pump will leak internally. And you will have to have a pump alignment tool to re-align the pump body halves or you will destroy the pump bushing and the neck of the torque converter hub.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 PM
tyrfryer
New User
Thanks. I've read in several spots that the bells are interchangeable. I'm hoping Autozone has the alignment tool in thier loan-a-tool program. I am gonna have to swap the tailshafts also. Any experiences there? Still not sure if I'll need to change the linkages, haveta put em side by side, and I decided at the last minute to go get an actual transmission jack rather than using one of my regular jacks (right thing to do, and a great excuse for a new tool!) If I have to swap the linkages, what do I need to look out for there? Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Autozone will not have the alignment tool. You will only find one at a transmission shop or you can order one from a good tool distributor. Hayden makes a cheap one that works fine.

The bellhousings are NOT interchangeable. You will have to compare every detail of the pump body section to ensure they are a direct match. If they are not identical, they will not interchange. You will also need to inspect the pump body section for wear or damage. And its very likely you will have to install a new pump bushing and front seal.

If you have to swap the tailshafts you are going to have to tear down the entire transmission to get the tailshafts out. Are you prepared for that?

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 11-18-2006, 09:47 AM
tyrfryer
New User
Yeah, I'll do what it takes ta get it done. Thanks.