Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

who builds the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Hola Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by monckywrench
" did you ever seen a Dodge towing truck"

I've seen a few Dodge wreckers, in particular one early '90s (I never asked the year) Cummins-powered beast whose owner loves it.
I'm thinking the reason there are so few of them is that parts are more expensive and less common in salvage than Ford or Chevy.
Most wrecker owners want to be able to use their organ donor trucks for replacement parts, and easily toss in a gas motor when they finally wear out the diesel original.
I love my 85 Dodge 360 4bbl powered tow truck. Don't know why there aren't more of them. People just always follow the herd I guess. That also explains why so many people think the SBC is such a great engine to hop up. It isn't all that. Never has been.

As far as this "longest lasting" thing goes, they couldn't say it if it wasn't true. If you read the small print in the ads, (Hasn't anybody here done this?) you'll see that both Chevy and Dodge are quoting R.L. Polk vehicle registration figures. Can't really fudge that kind of stuff folks. Chevy is going all the way back to 1981 while Dodge is "only" going back to 1987 if I remember correctly. (I think that's because Dodge was gaining on Chevy for some time and it finally started showing up in the stats by 87.) So why do Chebbies last so long? It's simple. They're not being worked to death like the Fords and Dodges are! Do your own comparison sometime. Watch all the trucks coming down the road at you from the opposite direction. You'll see the vast majority of the Fords and Dodges are working, hauling, towing, pulling but most of the Chebbies are not! Don't believe me? Let someone else drive and do my "test" for yourself!

Now as far as why do the Dodges last longer than the Fords? Well, speaking as an owner/lover/driver of both, I honestly believe it's not because of anything Ford or Dodge did right or wrong with their trucks other than the fact that Dodge chose Cummins to supply their diesels and Ford chose International. Like it or not, the Cummins is the longer lasting, more durable engine between the two folks and I believe it is that Cummins that has pushed Dodge over the top since the late 80s when diesels started to become such a large segment of the pick-up truck market! It's really that simple!
Regards, Eric

Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
We all know the answer ----- CHEVY!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Hola Man
I
Now as far as why do the Dodges last longer than the Fords? Well, speaking as an owner/lover/driver of both, I honestly believe it's not because of anything Ford or Dodge did right or wrong with their trucks other than the fact that Dodge chose Cummins to supply their diesels and Ford chose International. Like it or not, the Cummins is the longer lasting, more durable engine between the two folks and I believe it is that Cummins that has pushed Dodge over the top since the late 80s when diesels started to become such a large segment of the pick-up truck market! It's really that simple!
Regards, Eric
Here lies the problem with that answer. That great Cummins motor is wrapped in a Dodge. I would agree that in the past inlines ruled in terms of durability but I haven't seen any data in the last 10 years that would say a V8 would last any less or longer then an inline.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 10-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
I find it amusing that GM had to turn to Isuzu to design them a pick-up diesel since GM clearly wasn't getting it right themselves.

Again, according to R.L. Polk, from 87 to present day, the Dodge is the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road!
Regards, Eric

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 AM
hammerhead90
Elder User
I find it odd that people say these other brands claim to be the best, yet all the work trucks I see are Fords, new and old. I've seen one Dodge with a work body. None with a big box on the back. None as an Ambulance, and none plowing. Same goes with Chevys. I've seen more as Ambulances, and service trucks than I have of Dodges. The Fords still far out number them

Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Hola Man
Senior User
So why do Chebbies last so long? It's simple. They're not being worked to death like the Fords and Dodges are! Do your own comparison sometime. Watch all the trucks coming down the road at you from the opposite direction. You'll see the vast majority of the Fords and Dodges are working, hauling, towing, pulling but most of the Chebbies are not! Don't believe me? Let someone else drive and do my "test" for yourself!

Regards, Eric
That's kinda what I already said at the top of the page. The Chevys are hardly ever working. That much we agree on. We also agree on the fact that the Fords are almost always working. What we don't agree on is the fact that the Dodges are also almost always working too. Out here in the West, I see lots of Dodges being worked hard! I even routinely see older early 90s gas V8 Dodges still being used by CalTrans! Like I said in the above post, everyone should do my "test" for themselves!
Regards, Eric

Old 10-22-2010, 05:45 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
That's kinda what I already said at the top of the page. The Chevys are hardly ever working. That much we agree on. We also agree on the fact that the Fords are almost always working. What we don't agree on is the fact that the Dodges are also almost always working too. Out here in the West, I see lots of Dodges being worked hard! I even routinely see older early 90s gas V8 Dodges still being used by CalTrans! Like I said in the above post, everyone should do my "test" for themselves!
Regards, Eric

here on the east coast, you see the chevys hardly ever working, the fords almost always working, and most of the time the dodges being worked on.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find it amusing that GM had to turn to Isuzu to design them a pick-up diesel since GM clearly wasn't getting it right themselves.

Regards, Eric
With a considerably better end result than Ford going to International. Why is it not amusing that Dodge went to Cummins? Granted, GM is the only one of the "Big 2.5" that once had considerable in-house diesel talent (Detroit and EMD), but big 2-strokes dont translate well to emission-controlled light duty trucks. Three cylinder Detroit was a rare option for the Step Van in the '60's. GM's partnership with Isuzu goes back decades. The tilt-cab diesel box trucks are a natural path to pickup truck diesel engines.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru

Again, according to R.L. Polk, from 87 to present day, the Dodge is the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road!
Regards, Eric

And you ask most 6.5 owners what they think of their truck and motor and they love it.

R.L. Polk is on drugs - the only thing left of a dodge from 1987 would be the motor.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
here on the east coast, you see the chevys hardly ever working, the fords almost always working, and most of the time the dodges being worked on.
Our company has a whole fleet of Chevy trucks both gas and diesel and we're a construction company. I know of several others that use Chevy or GM as well. I know of several compaines that use Ford and I know 0 that use Dodge. Just say'en
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Locally I see more Chevy's and Fords then I see Dodges. And to be quite honest I see fewer and fewer diesels of any brand since the emissions laws took effect.<o></o>
<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 10-22-2010, 03:39 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,099 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
Our company has a whole fleet of Chevy trucks both gas and diesel and we're a construction company. I know of several others that use Chevy or GM as well. I know of several compaines that use Ford and I know 0 that use Dodge. Just say'en
fficeffice" /><O></O>
Locally I see more Chevy's and Fords then I see Dodges. And to be quite honest I see fewer and fewer diesels of any brand since the emissions laws took effect.<O></O>
<O></O>
<O></O>

yea, i know that some companys use chevy trucks.
i was just beeing a smart azz .

Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
yea, i know that some companys use chevy trucks.
i was just beeing a smart azz .
Me too
No worries...

Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
R.L. Polk is on drugs - the only thing left of a dodge from 1987 would be the motor.
I guess you didn't see what's in my sig. My 85 Dodge is more reliable than my 2000 International!

And my "test" is not just limited to fleet buyers/owners, it pertains to all pick-up trucks. Watch, look, and see what is coming at you from the opposite lane! There are a lot of privately owned Fords and Dodges being worked hard!

Look at my sig. The only thing missing? Chevys!
Regards, Eric

Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 AM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
I guess you didn't see what's in my sig. My 85 Dodge is more reliable than my 2000 International!

And my "test" is not just limited to fleet buyers/owners, it pertains to all pick-up trucks. Watch, look, and see what is coming at you from the opposite lane! There are a lot of privately owned Fords and Dodges being worked hard!

Look at my sig. The only thing missing? Chevys!
Regards, Eric
"Look at my sig. The only thing missing? Chevys!"

Who cares - that's just you.
Most trucks I see around here working are Chevys, Fords and then Dodge. So I guess our observations are what? localized? Again another meaningless comment on your end.

Since you’re a numbers guy don't Ford and Chevy outsell Dodge - significantly?

Your basing all your comments and experiences on a population of 1 - you.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 AM
'79 General
New User
I would not advise arguing too hard for either side. I believe Ford is the better truck, but I want those bowtie folks around. Thanks to a fellows ill-advised hatred of Ford I just traded a derelict, rusted out, hasn’t run in twelve years, four door, titleless, 67 Chevy II for a nearly perfect two door 62 Ford Fairlane 500.

Yep, we need to keep those Ford haters around. Don't rock the boat, and don't try too hard to convince them that Ford is the best. That way we can get the better deals.

Quick Reply: who builds the most Dependable Longest Lasting truck on the road