1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

is my rear end still good???

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:07 PM
johns54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'54 f100, volare ifs, future 302/c6 going to be dropped in. i'm still working on the frame/suspension. i recently purchased a ford 8" rear end from a '70 mustang. i put new brake parts, and axle bearings/seals in the rear end. i kept the rear end in the garage, and the garage caught on fire. the brake shoes are brittle, and the nice colored brake shoe spring kit looks charred. the nicely painted rear end housing is ugly now, and has more surface rust on it. how can i tell if my housing, and axles are still good? i know i'll have to re-do the brakes, springs, bearings, seals, and everything else, but i don't want to do this work, to find out that the axles or housing are junk.

thanks,
john.

Old 09-17-2002, 05:29 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

John

It would take a bunch of heat to ruin the housing and internals. The gear lube would be burned up first if that offers any help.

'fenders

Old 09-17-2002, 10:46 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't be concerned much unless the thing was cherry red and the fire department sprayed it. I could see a problem with warpage in that case. Otherwise it should be alright. Do the axles still spin OK? I'm sure that the grease is cooked out of the bearings, but if the axles still turn without binding, it probably isn't warped.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:23 AM
BELLM
Senior User

If all above checks out ok I would still replace the pinion seal and axle bearings to avoid potential leakage problems. Lot easier now than when in the truck. I have used engines out of burned vehicles by with no problems.

Old 09-18-2002, 06:29 AM
BELLM
Senior User