Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark to Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mantta you can e- mail to matalemu1@yahoo.com quicklook2: it has been only have a screw drive and a cresent wrench and broke down on the road
i hope it goes back easier also thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
Alright, now we got the new gears on, replaced all the seals, reconnected everything.

And now I cant get the distributor back on. There is one bolt just to the left of the distributor that wont tighten all the way. Is there a certain way that you must put the distributor back on? If so do you have any pics of what exactly I need to do?

Old 11-29-2006, 02:58 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

Is the distributer dropping all the way down? It meshes with the oil pump drive and the cam at the same time. You may have to turn the engine back and fourth by hand to get it to mesh all the way. Keep in mind that you must have the rotor to number one cylinder at top dead center of #1 cylinder. Also keep in mind that the mark on your crankshaft pulley for #1 goes by the pointer twice in a cycle. In otherwords. It is on the mark two times, one is right on the top of the compression stroke witch is right and the other time it passes the mark it is on the top of the exhaust stroke.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
Yes the distributor goes all the way down. There was a bolt to the front side of it that we removed to pull the distributor out which will not tighten back up all the way? This is where we started and are finally at towards the end Could you e-mail any pictures of what you are referring to?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:36 PM
mantta
Posting Guru

I don't have any pictures that describe this, maybe some of our readers do but, you can tell if it is on the compression stroke two ways, one, the rocker arms on #1 will be up (valves closed) when you are coming up on the timing mark (direction of rotation) (clockwise lookinb at the front of the engine) or two, with the spark plug out and coming up on the timing mark you feel pressure building up with your finger in the spark plug hole. Each stroke is 180 degrees duration on the crankshaft pulley.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:58 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by ddsvi
Yes the distributor goes all the way down. There was a bolt to the front side of it that we removed to pull the distributor out which will not tighten back up all the way? This is where we started and are finally at towards the end Could you e-mail any pictures of what you are referring to?
The bolt should go through a hold-down clamp that pushes down on the distributor to hold it in position, sounds like you do not have the hold-down clamp on the bolt.

Last edited by subford; 11-29-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:06 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
Thanks Subford, I was missing the hold-down clamp.

Now I need to set timing. When trying to start the truck, I am starting to get backfire coming from the air intake or whatever its called. Can you give me instructions on how to do this?

Old 11-29-2006, 05:22 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool project! It's nice to watch someone fixing a truck just from help on the internet.

Vince

Old 11-29-2006, 05:24 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
yeah its nice to be able to find people that are willing to take their time and help you out.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:58 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Thanks Subford, I was missing the hold-down clamp.

Now I need to set timing. When trying to start the truck, I am starting to get backfire coming from the air intake or whatever its called. Can you give me instructions on how to do this?
1. Place transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL, A/C heater in OFF position.
2. Connect an inductive timing light
3. Disconnect the single wire in-line SPOUT connector or remove the shorting bar from the double wire SPOUT connector.
4. Start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temperature. To set timing correctly, a remote starter should not be used. Use the ignition key only to start the vehicle. Disconnecting the start wire at the starter relay will cause TFI Module to revert to start mode timing after the vehicle is started. Reconnecting the start wire after the vehicle is running will not correct the timing.
5. With engine at timing rpm if specified, check/adjust initial timing to specification.
6. Reconnect single wire in-line SPOUT connector or reinstall the shorting bar on the double wire SPOUT connector. Check timing advance to verify distributor is advancing beyond the initial setting.
7. Remove test instruments.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
3. Start the engine
I have not got the engine to start yet. When trying to start the truck, I am getting it to backfire depending on how I have the distributor set. But have not got the truck to start.

Is there something I am missing?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
compaddict
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like your dist is 180 out. Is that possible?

Vince

Old 11-29-2006, 07:56 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like 180 off.

are plug wires on correctly for the year motor you have?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:29 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
I have not got the engine to start yet. When trying to start the truck, I am getting it to backfire depending on how I have the distributor set. But have not got the truck to start.

Is there something I am missing?
From the book

Installation

Before installing distributor, visually inspect distributor. Inspect O-ring. It should fit tightly and be free of cuts. The drive gear should be free of nicks, cracks and excessive wear. Rotate distributor drive shaft. It should move freely, without binding.

1. To install distributor correctly, No. 1 piston must be at Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke. Remove No. 1 cylinder spark plug and rotate engine clockwise until No. 1 piston is on the compression stroke.
2. With No. 1 piston on compression stroke, align timing pointer with TDC on the crankshaft damper.
3. Align locating boss on rotor with hole on armature. Fully seat rotor on distributor shaft.
4. Rotate distributor shaft so blade on rotor is pointing toward mark on distributor base, that was previously made in Step 2 of the Removal procedure.
5. While installing distributor, continue rotating rotor slightly so leading edge of the vane is centered in vane switch stator assembly.
6. Rotate distributor in block to align leading edge of vane and vane switch stator assembly. Verify rotor is pointing at No. 1 mark on distributor base.
If vane and vane switch stator cannot be aligned by rotating distributor in cylinder block, remove distributor enough to just disengage distributor gear from camshaft gear. Rotate rotor enough to engage distributor gear on another tooth of camshaft gear. Repeat Step 1 if necessary.
7. Install distributor hold-down clamp and bolt. Tighten bolt, but leave it loose enough to rotate distributor.
8. Install distributor cap, No. 1 spark plug and ignition wires. Check that ignition wires are securely connected to the cap and spark plugs. Tighten distributor cap hold-down screws to 2.0-2.6 N-m (18-23 in-lb).
9. Reconnect distributor to wiring harness.
10. Set initial timing according to procedures found in my post above.
11. After timing is set, tighten distributor hold-down bolt.
12. Recheck initial timing. Adjust if necessary.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
ddsvi
Freshman User
QL2-Yes, I did not change or move them. Thanks Vince, anything is possible at this point will check and let you know mannana. Thanks

Quick Reply: No Spark to Plugs