1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 Straight Axel Disc Brakes

Old 09-24-2002, 09:13 AM
eab
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 51 Straight Axel Disc Brakes

As a new member with little experience in brake work I need help and or opinions about the best front disc set up. If anyone has had a good or bad experience with a certain set up from a given vendor, pls share that with me. I am going to re work the front end and want to take on the brakes at the same time.Thanks

Old 09-26-2002, 10:22 AM
51f1
Senior User

Check out: http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_ford_discbrake_conversions.html

I'm about to rebuild my front end and am going to go this route.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:31 PM
viking
Junior User

I bought the ECI kit and everything was well designed, fit with minimal hassle, and cost about the same as rounding up the parts individually.Great setup.

Old 09-26-2002, 02:25 PM
VespaJay
Freshman User

I just installed the ECI kit in my '59 F100. Very easy, it literally went together in minutes. My only (small) complaint is the instructions could be a little clearer, and not all typed in caps (I hate that).

Here's a great page showing how to convert a Ford pickup to discs:
http://www.octm.com/dane/index29.htm

A word to the wise: if you plan on bending up your own brake lines, don't skimp on the double-flaring tool. I bought a $42.00 set at NAPA and the 3/16" anvil fitting snapped on my second flare. No replacement fittings were available, so I rented another (low-quality) kit from Autozone, it was so worn I couldn't get a good flare out of it. At least the fitting didn't snap off. But you get what you pay for, that's for sure.

- Vespa Jay

Old 09-26-2002, 07:53 PM
58f100
Junior User

oh the flaring tool can be a source of frustration, i have had to put the block that holds the 3/16th's in a vice to get it to clamb so i could flare it, the 3/16 line is very hard to flare, even if yopu but the best expect to have problems, i ewant to convert to dual master cylinder, disc brake set up, thaks i am thinking of eci
garry 58f100,
and this sire and ken payne has been more than helpful on my froame off resto of my 58f100

Old 09-27-2002, 06:27 PM
eab
New User

Thanks to all of you guys who had input on my brake issue. The eci program looks like the way to go. Are you guys sticking with the original single master cylinder, or upgrading to double reservoir power booster that is said to bolt in the same under frame location?
thanks in advance eab

Old 09-28-2002, 07:17 AM
VespaJay
Freshman User

I'm using the '68 Mustang dual master cylinder - you can't use the original single MC, it won't work with disc brakes.

It does NOT just bolt in. The original MC has four mounting bolts, the Mustang unit only has two, and they're in a different location relative to the center of the MC, so you can't just use two of the existing holes. You have to either:

A) Drill 2 new holes in the firewall and fabricate a plate to cover the gaps left over.

B) Buy a pre-made mounting kit like the one on ECI's website.
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/master_cylinder_adapter_kits.html

I went with option A, it took a little careful measuring to get the holes drilled correctly, but it turned out nicely.

Old 09-28-2002, 02:19 PM
gary534
Junior User
Post 51 Straight Axel Disc Brakes

Search this Thread