Sponsored by:

Just Like the Swiss...Stuck in Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Spliffy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Like the Swiss...Stuck in Neutral

Hi everyone. Great forum here. Very similar to my Harley Forum.

Anyway, I have a slight problem that I could use some verification on. I have a 94 Bronco/Automatic/302. A few minutes ago, my child and I were left stuck in a parking lot because my shift lever on the column wouldn't engage a gear. It was sloppy and loose feeling and the truck acted as if it was stuck in neutral no matter what I did. Even in Park, I could roll it. It wouldn't start, obviously.

My wife eventually came and picked us up, but, before we left, I found a gold colored bolt on the floorboard/driver side. It appears to be some sort of Torx-like bolt and is about 1.5 to 2 inches long. Do you think this fell out of my column linkage or something and is prohibiting my shift lever from engaging? I'll troubleshoot tomorrow when I don't have to watch the baby, but, it would be nice to have a plan of attack.

The truck has been a beautifully running vehicle prior to this incident.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Spliffy

Old 12-23-2006, 02:53 AM
dallas lewis
Senior User
Hey spliffy, go to the search box on the tool bar and click on advanced search. From there look up all posts by me, dallas lewis, and look for the one called a/t gear shifter broken. It should tell you all that you will need to know.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Spliffy
New User
Thanks so much. The pictures alone are worth a $1000. I think I see that gold torx screw in the photos. Guess I'll tow her home and work on her here.

Spliffy

Old 12-23-2006, 09:17 AM
helirich
Posting Guru
I'm assuming that you broke the actuator. It is a cast part that breaks all the time. (not the actuator rod) You can get someone you trust to sit in the drivers seat and hold the brake. Crawl under the truck (nice if it's lifted) and pull off the linkage on the tranny and shift it by hand to drive. Than at least you can drive it home.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Spliffy
New User
Fixed it in about 2 minutes. The linkage off the steering column was loose enough that one of the bolts fell out. Those photos in Dallas' thread were a lifesaver. Thanks a bunch!!

Spliffy

Old 12-28-2006, 03:33 PM
c-dub
Freshman User
thats some good info