SEMA Update and '08 F350 Order - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

SEMA Update and '08 F350 Order

Old 11-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Junior User

Banksstroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile SEMA Update and '08 F350 Order

Currently out here at SEMA in Vegas, and thanks to this forum was able to order remotely (based off the order sheets) my '08 F350 SRW FX4 Crew Cab Shortbed 6.4L from my local dealer. He said that pricing was available, but he did not yet figure it out. Once I have it in hand, I will pass it on. He was able to complete the order and I will have an order number in the morning.

I spoke to one of the Ford Engineers out here this morning, and he mentioned to me that the fuel economy he believes will be slightly less than the current 6.0L because of the increased BS Emissions hardware, and the regeneration of the DPF. He mentioned, if you remove the DPF that unless you bypass the computer, if the computer senses no recharge within 1000 miles, it will automatically generate one (wasting fuel). I will tell you, that based off of the pictures you have probably seen of this truck, it doesn't appear to have any additional space underhood. This sucker (6.4L) is huge! The pictures in this forum of the two SEMA vehicles are both out here, and apparently one is out her but not accessorized. The front suspension is identical according to the Ford engineer and the Fabtech and Skyjacker suspensions that are on the two trucks. The Skyjacker truck (black and red) has the new FX4 trim level with black cloth seats and the Fabtech truck (blue and silver) has the Lariat trim level with medium stone leather and faux wood inserts in the dash. Neither have navigation. The inside of these trucks are awesome. The tailgate step and handles are also awesome. The bed extender is not on either.

Once I return home, I will upload pictures I have taken including DPF shots. What a great truck, I am excited to see what this puppy can do. Oh, and the Ford Engineer said that the 6.4L goes into production mid December and we should start seeing them in dealerships late January (from what he says). Yippeee!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Posting Guru

Super08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to behold
Wish I was there....(read me envious). 'grats on the new truck
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Freshman User

stangpartsman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ordered my 08 Super Crew SB 6.4 Lariat today. Every ford dealer only has 1 truck allocated to them at this time. After Thanksgiving, the remainder of allocations for production will be given out. My truck was ordered with the 20" rims and will be delayed due to a strike at Goodyear (hope they get their act together). Trucks will start to show up in the lots early to mid February is what I was told. Production to start mid December like Bankstoker said. Cant Wait!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Junior User

Wink

The Fabtech truck is a Lariat like I spoke to above, but does have navigation unlike I spoke above. Through more careful looking, it has a navigation transmitter directly in front of the rearview mirror. The roof mounted transmitter is Sirius/ not Navigation. The unmodified previously unseen SD is a SRW Crew Cab F-350 6.4L 4x4 shortbed with the King Ranch package. It is beautiful! The guys standing near it heard it crank and even drove it, and say it is much quieter than the current Duramax and it is as quiet as a Mercedes diesel! It also had the bed extender, which is a handy piece of work. It folds easily and has locks to keep it in or out. Great engineering.

I spoke again with the engineers at the Ford booth and this time I asked them if they thought they would have any of the same problems with the 6.4L like they had with the 6.0L the answer was no. They said the injectors are all new (peizo) and the head pressure was reduced to 41PSI. I heard that the two main problems with the 6.0L's were the Injectors and the Head Gaskets, and I have no idea what lowering the pressure to 41PSI means, but this seems to be good news.

In addition to navigation, the Fabtech truck has the new Audiophile 8 speaker with a subwoofer system installed, and it has tweeters in the rear doors, speakers behind the rear passenger (like in existing trucks), tweeters in the A-pillars (front doors) and a subwoofer behind the rear seat.

I have taken some amateur pictures of all three trucks which I will upload upon my return sometime early next week. Oh yeah, my order number is 8002 and I still have no pricing.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Freshman User

Astrovan Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
When the 2008 Trucks were started after the show, All I heard was a VERY VERY QUIET QUIET 6.4 motor

Love It!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Junior User

Gallery SEMA Photos

For those that would like to see some Amatuer pictures from SEMA, of the three trucks at the show, check out my Gallery!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Post Fiend

EpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant futureEpicCowlick has a brilliant future
Thanks for the pics. The modified trucks are fun to look at but I like the white one out in the parking lot. That's the color scheme I prefer.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Elder User

FFemt5287 is starting off with a positive reputation.
nice pics! while beautiful trucks, my only qualm is the rather unfinished look of the exhaust tips! (or lack there of!) i hope they plan on some chrome tips or atleast hiding the welds.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Posting Guru

Super08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to beholdSuper08 is a splendid one to behold
Great pics, thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Senior User

REELNAUTI4U is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFemt5287
nice pics! while beautiful trucks, my only qualm is the rather unfinished look of the exhaust tips! (or lack there of!) i hope they plan on some chrome tips or atleast hiding the welds.
I have had the same concern. Looks like they did not finish truck. I could only assume that it will have some type of stainless or chrome tip when in full production ?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior User

Do we know if there is a reverse camera that works with nav. system ?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Senior User

mattebury is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Make that a wireless camera so you can move it to the trailer when towing.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattebury
Make that a wireless camera so you can move it to the trailer when towing.
That is exactly what I had in mind.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Junior User

About the Backup camera...I looked for one, and did not see one. The camera is not listed in the ordering guide as an option, or as part of a package. In Truck Trend, last month they did say that it was part of the F-450 truck they were driving, but they also said it had 360 HP stock. Who really knows until these babies hit the streets.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Junior User

Check out this website...www.hitchcam.com. They have a rearview mirror with compass and thermometer, with a slide out video screen that pops out when you put the vehicle in reverse. Apparently it retails fro $695 with the rearview/ screen/ and camera (your choice of camera). If the vehicle doesnt come with one, since there is no thermometer you can upgrade for a reasonable amount of money.

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
64, ford, sema