Pennsylvania Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: liftnw8z

Edge Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution

any of you guys have an edge evolution for you V-8 gas truck/SUV and what do you think about it...i'm thinking about getting one and i'm trying to get as much inside info as i can before hand...

thanks guys

Old 12-19-2006, 03:41 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
We have tested the Evolution on a 5.4 2000 F-150 (Local owner) as well as renting a 2006 5.4 F-150 from avis for 4 weeks to play with.

My opinion on the Edge is this....

The tranny tuning is exceptional! It gives you the ability to move the part throttle as well as the WOT shift points up or down within a range.

It also allows you the owner to modify the shift firmness. I was able to make the 06 shift so firm that when it hit 2nd gear at WOT the serp belt would slip on the crank pulley for a split second and squeel! If I were to ease into a turn and mash it it would down shift and lock the gear so fast it would breake the rear end loose and go sideways.

You can adjust the timing up or down in fractions of a degree to optimize the engine tunes to the fuel you buy. One guy may have 91 max, and you may live near a Sunoco that has 94....the 94 fuel can take way more timing...and make more power.

The display has 3 LED lights, each one independantly controlled so that you have about 1,000,000 colors to choose from.

There are other tuners on the market...but nothing has the value for the money spent as the Edge!!!

http://discountpowerparts.com/catalo...?products_id=7

Old 12-19-2006, 03:52 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
so, do you think it is worth it for someone that has a 5 speed.....it seams like from what you say that the major advantages are for a person with an AUTO....my truck is a 5 speed.....what kind of "seat of the pants" gain in power am i going to have....will i be able to feel a difference....

Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
The edge is a good budget tuner, but if you really want the BEST tunes, and especially if you plan to do some other mods in the future. Youre much better off with a custom tuned Xcalibrator 2. They only cost a little more than the edge, but all of our customers who have switched from edge to our BamaChips xcal2 said it was WELL worth the change over.

Dont get me wrong, the edge will be MUCH improved over the stock tuning, but the bottom line is its essentially a canned tuner. Also, when reading edges performance claims, look carefully at their dyno graph. It shows a SHARP gain that should be construed as a fluke, most likely the torque management when charting the stock tune. Sure it makes that much more power RIGHT THERE, but the numbers the claim are not an accurate representation.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:29 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Why dont you drive down one evening and we can put one in the truck. If its not what your looking for, we can do a Billit Speed/Innovative Tuning SCT Xcal2 Custom tune for you.

I love custom tunes, and they really do have a place. But that place is not in every Tom. Dick, or Harry's pickup truck! Not by any streatch of the imagination.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
I think it could be for everyone, but if someone wants to be a "Tom, Dick or Harry" then by all means, please buy the edge.

It is my own opinion that custom tunes have a place on ANYONEs vehicle who wants the best tune they can get. Even if you dont get our BamaChips tuner, any WELL TUNED Xcalibrator 2 should perform better. And not just the SCT base file for that vehicle.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:12 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Bob...how many HP do you figure gaining buy getting the Xcal2 on a truck with only intake and exhaust? A 30 hp gain you will notice, but the differance between 30 and 35hp.....I dont think you could tell. The big advantage of the Xcal2 over the Edge Evolution is with the Xcal2 you dont have those gauges, and performance tests cluttering up your dash. We are SCT dealers, but find this application is better served with the Evo. Thats just our opinion. I use an Xcal2 in my diesel, this is an application where you can see a differance of 60hp from one tuner to the other.

Dont get me wrong gui88ford, you will be very happy with either product. If I was going to get a custom tune for an F150 I would get it from Bob and no one else.

Patrick

Old 12-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
Your right that the differences may be small, but at the same time, the edge CANT tune for an intake and exhaust.

The edge does have its place, for someone who wants the little gauges and display, the edge is pretty much the only choice for them. SCT is coming out with the comparable livewire soon, but its not even in the same price bracket at the edge.

They are both decent products, both will give you great gains over stock. I am just posting my experiences and feelings! No hard feelings to the other vendors who sell the edge!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
well, it makes sense that a custom tune would be better no matter what....i have a 2002 F150 4.6 L 5 speed....motor is totally stock, stock exhaust, no K&N, NOTHING....totally stock...the most i'm going to do is an exhaust with headers and a set of 4.10 gears....i don't really want to dig into the motor to much because i'd like it to have a very long life...i'm open to all options for a tuner....just getting out there to see what's avaliable and what would be the best thing for me...the display on the edge is nice because i can adjust my speedo for my tires size and gear ratio wen i do that but at the same time if i'm spending money i'd like to get the bigges power gains possible for my application...for me if i can get 35 HP vs. 30 HP and i'm paying around the same price i'd opt for the option for 35 HP just because it a better bang for your buck...

Old 12-19-2006, 07:10 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Thats where the value of an Edge comes in. Value is money spent VS features or product recieved. The Edge for the price gets you huge bang for the buck when compared to the SCT. If I have a customer talking about really getting into the engine and doing camshaft, port work, forced induction, or a combination of them.....I would insist he went custom. But going custom from a guy that is 1000 miles away is still just a canned tune! Call it a Billit speed, or a Bama canned tune...but if Eric or Bob did not put you on the rollers personally....its still a canned tune in the same sense that an Edge tune is a canned tune. Edge, Superchips, Diablo...whoever you want to name....has spent time on the rollers with real live trucks. I assume Bama Bob has as well, and I know Eric at Billit Speed does weekly. If Eric has a file he came up with on the truck that lives a block away.....does that make that file optimal for your engine in particular...or is he sending you a canned file? Edge did the similar work...and a SCT custom tuner starts spouting out CANNED TUNE.... Guess what he is gonna send you! His canned tune! Call Troyer Performance.......he can tell you all about Canned tunes as well! I see that the guys that live off of "custom tunes" will work very hard to convince you of how low the true value is in a product like an Edge Evo....and try to make you see some mysterious percieved value in his "custom" tunes he sends you from 1,000 miles away.

I am sure that your a smart fellow. Figiure it out.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:14 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Bob is your man then.

Bob, no offense taken. I too was only speaking from experience. Yes when the live wire comes out...I will have one quick. With a price tag close to 600 bucks (speculation) it may be a hard sell for 35 hp. I guess we will see. I'm pretty excited myself.

Remember, replacing those LITTLE EDGE GAUGES can cost hundreds of dollars. lol

Peace

Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
It is ignorant to assume that we send out canned tunes with the BamaChips tuners. Edge tunes are about as canned as you get. They dont care what truck you have, what the calibration is, where you live, what you plan to do, what mods you have, what mods youre going to have, etc. Everyone gets the same tune. Its a safe baseline tune that will work for all purposed and applications.

With a custom SCT tune, at least from us, EVERY factor is taken into consideration and ACTUALLY translates into a tweak in the tune file. Its made for YOUR TRUCK, not EVERYONEs truck, and thats the difference.

And for the record I challenge anyone to call Troyer and ask if he sends canned tunes. I feel sorry for the guy who makes that phone call.

As far as the LiveWire, we plan to retail it for about $600, which even I think is a little too much to spend, but Im hoping the price will come down with time.

At any rate, if you do decide you like the features of the edge, then Discount Power Parts is definately the place to get it.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
so, in a real world experience what HP gains can i expect from an Edge Vs. X-cal2 custom tune.....

Old 12-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
I can tell you on an 04 4.6 the BamaChips tuner made 16 more rwhp and 46 more rwtq than the stock tune. This was on a regular cab, with the same engine as yours, so that should be a pretty accurate representation for your truck. We manage to get some killer torque from the 4.6!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
You apparently want every last pony...call bob. Larry and myself just wanted you to see the differance in value for the complete packages. The SCT will give you a couple more HP.

Bob, if you sent me a tune for an F150, and then next week I drove to you and put it on the rollers, could you get more hp out of the truck? I think that is the point Larry is trying to make. I guess everyone has a differant opinion of what custom is.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution