4.9 L Straight 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

4.9 L Straight 6

Old 10-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Rangerman3
Junior User
Rangerman3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.9 L Straight 6

Finally I have just got early this october, the '95 F150, 4.9, straight 6 with 5 spd manual, 95k original miles. It has been my dream truck trying to find one with low miles and least abuse. This is my second Ford, since I 've been driving 94 Ranger with 2.3, manual since '02, and the ranger now has over 177k! it still runs strong incredibly...
Does anyone own 4.9 straight 6 and would like to chime in on maintenance side? The more I drive the 4.9, the more I am in love... I already changed oil, tranny, axle, coolant fluids, and pretty much in great shape. Also, do I need to have timing belt and water pump done @ 100k ? Please give some advice.
The reason I go with 4.9 cause, I am in landscaping service as sideline, and people from other side of world highly say about Ford ever best 4.9 or 5.4.
thanks a bunch.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:14 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.quicklook2 has a very good reputation on FTE.
when you changed the oil i hope you used a motorcraft filter.

no timing belt has gears instead.

get ford manuals.

good luck on your new truck.

also, peruse the 4.9 forum and a lot of your questions may have already been answered.

Last edited by quicklook2; 10-31-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:15 PM
mavinwy
Senior User
mavinwy is starting off with a positive reputation.
the 4.9 is a great engine...just stay with normal maintenance. 300K miles is pretty common to hear about with regular maintenance.

As far as the timing belt....Never, since there is not one (or a chain) It is a set of timing gears. I changed mine at 150K because I was doing some other work, but even then, they did not need it.

Water Pump - If it has been well maintained and coolant changed every couple of years, it should be good for a long while. If in doubt, go ahead and change it...they are cheap and it is not hard to do.

Jim

Old 11-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Rangerman3
Junior User
Wow, no timing belt? not even chain? just Timing gear? wow.
This is first time I ever have such an easy engine to take care, no wonder 4.9 is legendary and sought after now! Many have said it is one of Ford 's strongest. I have used Toyota, Honda, and Ford 2.3, all need timing belts, even Lexus beware, you have to keep close eyes on the timing belt cause they do snap! All of Toyota, once reaching 60k, you need to have it done otherwise the consequence is severe.
Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
tvicker
New User
tvicker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad to hear about your beautiful "new" truck!

I have a '92 F-150 4.9L 4x4 150K miles and I absolutely love it. The 4.9L is IMO the best gas engine there has ever been, and you are just getting it broken in at 94K. Expect to get at least 200K with meticulous maintenance. As far as the water pump goes, I would recommend replacing it if you have the time/money/know-how. It's a cheap part, easy to install in your driveway, and it'll only take 1-2 hours of your time. My water pump self-destructed at about 120K on a rural road, at night on a Sunday. Needless to say, I wish I would have replaced it in the driveway on my own time, rather then in a situation like this.
My straight-six runs absolutely perfectly. I can't imagine that it could have ever run better then it dows right now. Here's some advice that I can give you to get the best performance from your big six.

1. Don't use motor oil heavier then 15W-xx, no matter what climate you're in. I'm on the Gulf Coast and it's plenty hot in the summer, but my 4.9L doesn't like 20W oil. Use 15W or thinner on the winter weight.

2. Use quality 8mm spark plug wires. I had (as many others have too) a real bad hesitation that just plagued me for months. I replaced lots of parts (including the wires) and it wouldn't go away. When I replaced my brand new cheap wires with the best 8mm wires that Napa sells, the truck runs like a dream again.

3. I've gotten the cleanest oil changes using the "Pure ONE" oil filters made by Purolator (filter # PL30001). Another person recommended the Motorcraft filters in an earlier post, which I have also used and also would recommend. The "Pure ONE" has a finer filter media that will catch smaller particles (3 micron) and you will see noticably cleaner oil on you next oil change.

4. Because of the incredible service life of these engines, they tend to get a little noisy due to varnish causing sticky lifters after many miles of dependable service. The best solution to this is to add 1/2 can of "Sea Foam Motor Treatment" to the oil about 500 miles before you next oil change. You will hear the motor quiet down and smooth out literally seconds after you add it. (do this with the motor running so you can hear the difference). You can buy it at Napa or Advance Auto Parts (to name a few). It's a white metal can with red writing, about 12 oz. in size. This stuff works miracles on older cars. Just follow the directions on the can.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Rangerman3
Junior User
Originally Posted by tvicker
Glad to hear about your beautiful "new" truck!

I have a '92 F-150 4.9L 4x4 150K miles and I absolutely love it. The 4.9L is IMO the best gas engine there has ever been, and you are just getting it broken in at 94K. Expect to get at least 200K with meticulous maintenance. As far as the water pump goes, I would recommend replacing it if you have the time/money/know-how. It's a cheap part, easy to install in your driveway, and it'll only take 1-2 hours of your time. My water pump self-destructed at about 120K on a rural road, at night on a Sunday. Needless to say, I wish I would have replaced it in the driveway on my own time, rather then in a situation like this.
My straight-six runs absolutely perfectly. I can't imagine that it could have ever run better then it dows right now. Here's some advice that I can give you to get the best performance from your big six.

1. Don't use motor oil heavier then 15W-xx, no matter what climate you're in. I'm on the Gulf Coast and it's plenty hot in the summer, but my 4.9L doesn't like 20W oil. Use 15W or thinner on the winter weight.

2. Use quality 8mm spark plug wires. I had (as many others have too) a real bad hesitation that just plagued me for months. I replaced lots of parts (including the wires) and it wouldn't go away. When I replaced my brand new cheap wires with the best 8mm wires that Napa sells, the truck runs like a dream again.

3. I've gotten the cleanest oil changes using the "Pure ONE" oil filters made by Purolator (filter # PL30001). Another person recommended the Motorcraft filters in an earlier post, which I have also used and also would recommend. The "Pure ONE" has a finer filter media that will catch smaller particles (3 micron) and you will see noticably cleaner oil on you next oil change.

4. Because of the incredible service life of these engines, they tend to get a little noisy due to varnish causing sticky lifters after many miles of dependable service. The best solution to this is to add 1/2 can of "Sea Foam Motor Treatment" to the oil about 500 miles before you next oil change. You will hear the motor quiet down and smooth out literally seconds after you add it. (do this with the motor running so you can hear the difference). You can buy it at Napa or Advance Auto Parts (to name a few). It's a white metal can with red writing, about 12 oz. in size. This stuff works miracles on older cars. Just follow the directions on the can.
Thanks a lot for your info, next oil change I will get pure one. Yeah, you are quite right about breaken-in, I am very surprised how engine purr with very quiet consistent exhaust sound. Well, I guess I will give it till 100k and get water pump done, temp is so good and very stable.
Dream truck! what can I say...
Why Ford don't make another line of 4.9? Instead they have so much problem with 4.2, 4.6!

Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 AM
Lone Wolf #2
Senior User
Lone Wolf #2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you do the water pump install an electric fan and ditch the clutch fan, many on the inline six forum have done this to unlock a few more ponies. With only 95K use 10w-30 or even 5w-30, you don't need heavier. As has been said, with proper maintnence, the 300 is virtually indestructable.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
rdw516
Senior User
rdw516 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Concerning the timing gears.....IF you decide to replace the timing gears, use after market metal gears. The crank gear is metal, but the Cam gear is fiber. It looks like a bunch of sawdust that has been compressed to form a gear. This gear is pressed on the cam. When I placed a puller on it, it broke all to crap. I was in a hurry and the store was getting ready to close and I had to replace it with the same. The next time I will surely use all metal gears. They may be a bit noisier but I will be more satisfied that a catastophic failure is less likely to occur.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Brock's 1990 F-150
New User
Brock's 1990 F-150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had my 1990 F-150 4.9, 5-speed, 4x4 about 4 years now. Bought it for $1000 & think 119,000 miles but don't really know since speedo only has 5 digits ! It's in the shop now (again!) for new water pump & fan clutch, quoted $275 to repair it. For the past month it's been making that horrible high pitched squeaking/clunking noise (not mechanical or rhythmic} Finally it cut loose - shredded belts, plus all the fluids leaked out. AAA is losing big $$ - had it towed 6 times past couple years! Probably sank $2500-$3000 in repairs so far - not including current WP repair. I have named my F-150 the "ANTICHRIST" and believe me this name fits the truck PERFECTLY plus well deserved ! Ya'll can ask me about repairs, and I have probably done it. Highly recommend buying a Haynes Ford pick-ups & Bronco 1980-1996 manual (the red one) for reference & repairs. Got mine on e-bay for $10 delivered !

Old 04-05-2018, 01:54 AM
phoskins
Elder User
phoskins has a good reputation on FTE.phoskins has a good reputation on FTE.
Motorcraft or Wix oil filters or better, Napa Gold is good, too, I think. 10w-30 U.S. Grade SAE gasoline engine oil. Use good quality parts for repairs. Search reviews for the best products.
be aware that aside from the water pump, the radiators on these trucks are subject to damage from neglect, also. They are easy to change. Distributor on my 4.9 had a failure of a P.I.P. sensor, which was hard to diagnose. This was at 175k miles. Watch out for leaks. Fix them quickly if you can.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 AM
phoskins
Elder User
phoskins has a good reputation on FTE.phoskins has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Rangerman3 View Post
​​Why Ford don't make another line of 4.9? Instead they have so much problem with 4.2, 4.6!
There's an old saying that Ford wasn't selling any parts for the inline 6 cyl 4.9 (since it is a reliable engine)... so they weren't making money on it anymore... Had to bring in a new world of technology. Hope you enjoy your truck.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM
evan_nugget
Senior User
evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.evan_nugget is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Really great, really reliable engine. I pulled one out of the woods after a 12 year nap and the engine itself was fairly trouble free. Mostly it was the EFI system that needed some R&R before it was ready to be a daily driver. Keeping up with maintenance is very important, take care of the big six and it'll never let you down.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:15 PM
'89F2urd
Postmaster
'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.'89F2urd has a very good reputation on FTE.
Absolutely replace the cam gear with a steel gear whenever you get the chance. Ford used a phenolic gear to reduce gear whine. They are prone to flaking apart, and getting rid of it is the first thing I'd do if I bought a 300.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:56 PM
bigredtruck
Elder User
bigredtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have time on your hands, you can read my adventure with the 95 4.9 2WD I have doing battle with as my daily driver:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eshooting.html

Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM
sandymane
Posting Guru
sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sandymane is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have two 300's and love them. One has 116K and one has 150K. I did what you did when I got them and have been able to fix them myself with help from the forum. Basically they are trouble free motors. I have not had to go inside either motor and they run perfect. I highly suggest you invest in a

INNOVA 3145 Ford Digital OBD1 Code Reader

Get the cable that is available since it makes it much handier to use. It will tell you if you have issues and there is a memory bank in it that will give you some past info as to what has been happening if anything. If, when, you have an issue the reader will send you to the proper source or close so it is invaluable. I check mine frequently just for piece of mind. You can also check codes via the check engine light. Info how to do it that way is available here or google. Sandy