1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Slide Pins: All 4 The Same On Each Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Jim59
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Caliper Slide Pins: All 4 The Same On Each Axle?

2002 F250 SD CC 4X4 ESOF ABS, stock

My son has changed the front brake pads on the truck. He pulled all four of the caliper slide pins out (2 off each caliper), and brought them to the work bench to clean them up, etc.

After cleaning them, he noticed that two pins were a bit different than the other two pins.

They were all the same length and the same diameter. But two of the pins had 3, very small, flat sides that ran the length of the pin. The flat sides were 90 degrees from each other. They were very small and not easy to see, especailly when dirty/greasy. Its as if the flat spots would mate with little "ridges" inside the cylinder, and stop the pin from rotating in the cylinger. Why, I don't know.

When my son realized the problem, he inserted each of the 4 pins into each of the 4 holes in the calipers, and spun the pins. They all spun freely. There was nothing in the calipers that engaged the flat spots.

Also, the very top of the slide pins were a bit different. On all 4 of the pins, the circular top of them are cut flat on two sides, where they mount into the calipers. But, on the two pins with those flat spots, an additonal small "v" was cut into that top circular area. Again, when my son realized his mistake, the examined all the pins, and all the caliper mounting areas, and could see how these little "v"'s engaged anything.

He put the truck back together without regard to what pin went where, and everythng seems fine. (Very slight brake squeel, though, which I hope goes away in a short time)

So, my question is ..... does anyone know if the 4 caliper slide pins on this front axle brake system are different? A pair of 2 pins, and another pair of two pins? Did my son miss something? Maybe something in the cylinger is worn?

I've done a search here at Ford-trucks, and I find nothing about 2 different pins.

Thanks,
Jim

And, in general, thanks for all the info I get from this website. Thanks to the many people that have helped me. I've saved alot of money, and learned lots of stuff.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Cuda444
Elder User
Pretty sure he should be alright. I've done pads a few times and I've never had any problems with the pins... so long as they are well lubricated and sliding freely... I think he'll be fine.

Tom

Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 PM
scooter80
Freshman User
Unfortunately it seems even Ford Parts people don't know what's what when it comes to the slide pins. When I did my pads and rotors a month back I found a pin had siezed in the caliper saddle bracket, so I needed to replace the saddle and the pins. Saddle was no prob, and really the pins weren't either, but they were different than expected by both me and the parts guy. The pins came in a set of two but they were distinctly different. The parts guy said, "maybe one for the front and the other for the rear of the saddle." I said OK and went on my way.

My new pins had one that you described with the flat spots that was dark gray in color. The second pin in the kit was all rounded and gold in color (like grade 8 hardware). The gold one, though, had a small rubber O-ring/grommet (like a faucet seat if you're familiar) on the tip end of it. Anyways, I lubed both well (but not excessive) to prevent another siezure and guessed at the placement. Like you, both of mine fit in either hole, so I see no issue with your, or my, install. It seems the rubber on the end of the one prevents rattles and allows a slower, more controlled release of the caliper. I believe this is preventing some of the "front-end clunk" others have described.

Sorry for the novel, but in short: Your son did fine, and there shouldn't be a prob, though anti-squeal on the back of the pads upon install would've eliminated the squeal!

Cheers