Neutrel safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:27 AM
phatcracker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutrel safety switch

My 96 F350 w/7.5 won't start. It won't even give me click or anything. I found out the battery was bad and replaced it. I think it maybe the neutrel safety switch in/on my auto tranny.

Where is it?
Is it hard to replace?

Thanks
Eric

Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Depends on which tranny you have.

Most likely, you have an E4OD. If so, the TR sensor is mounted on the driver's side, near the bottom, about two thirsds of the way towrd the rear from the front.

Possible components: Ignition switch, CPP jumper, TR sensor, starter relay, or starter. Also, any interconnecting wires.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:08 PM
phatcracker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just jumped the solenoid on the fender and it started. All the lights and fans work great, just won't start.

Thanks for the info
Eric

Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Eric,

I am sure you have an E4OD/4R100W transmission. The MLP (Manual Lever Position) sensor takes the place of the neutral safety switch on these transmissions. It is located on the side of the case just above the pan rail and the shift linkage sticks through the middle of it.

The MLP may very well just be out of adjustment. You can check it by selecting neutral and turning the key to the start position. Now hold the key in the start position and carefully move the shifter toward reverse and drive in turn. If the MLP is out of adjustment then when it hits the right spot the starter will engage. If this happens immediately turn the key off. Oh, and be sure to hold the brake while you try this so the truck doesn't take off in drive or reverse.

While its not uncommon for an MLP to fail, this type of failure is rare. The MLP is nothing more than a potentiometer that changes voltage as it is turned. The PCM reads the voltage to know what is selected by the lever. They occasionally get bad spots on the contacts and give intermittantly faulty readings. But complete failure of the neutral/park position is very rare.

If that's not it let me know.

BTW: I saw you are the Central Division Rallycross Steward. Very cool. I have done some rallycross and love it. I am a member of the SCCA Solo Events Board (SE-Div). Also, 2006 SCCA Solo National Champion in DP.

Welcome to FTE.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT