1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Whatchoo think of this paint scheme?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Uncle JT
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a follow-up to the traditional paint thread going around on the HAMB, I started playing with Photoshop on my 1953 F-250 that I am rebuilding from the frame up.

What do you think of this scheme? Although, not a stock looking paint scheme for Ford Pickups, I still think it might look a little 'traditional'. It's a variation, IMO, of Seafoam Green and an off-white, almost Ivory.

I just want something different yet still vintage looking and definitely not the red it is now.

http://www.geekopolis.com/53Ford/green.jpg

- JT

Old 11-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

no not traditional to the fords, but.....
IT LOOKS GRREAT!! now the hard part of waiting to get to that point.
how did you get that?
i can't even get a picture od mine on the web let alone figure out the playing with paint.

Old 11-15-2002, 07:42 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats about identical to my house colors, good choice.

I had some left over from doing the garage addition recently and painted my wood sided trailer the same, Ivory trim and all.
Have to change the registration now!

Old 11-16-2002, 07:08 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like green, but Seafoam isn't my favorite. Glad to see someone getting away from "resale red" though. Looks like it will be a nice truck regardless of what color you paint it. Don't put too much stock in what others think of the color. Color is a very personal and subjective subject. You have to please yourself...

Old 11-16-2002, 08:17 AM
BELLM
Senior User

Cool! How will the rest be done? Will you do the fenders in the ivory color? Could do fenders and and upper part of running boards, that way color could carry through from fender to fender. Very retro 50s.

Old 11-16-2002, 08:48 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

>I like green, but Seafoam isn't my favorite. Glad to see
>someone getting away from "resale red" though. Looks like it
>will be a nice truck regardless of what color you paint it.
>Don't put too much stock in what others think of the color.
>Color is a very personal and subjective subject. You have to
>please yourself...

Gotta agree with Vern - color scheme is a very personal choice. When I started out I was very gung-ho on doing EVERY LITTLE THING EXACTLY LIKE IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY. After four years and reading many discussions on this site, I've gotten a little less **** about stuff. I'm going to go with whatever color my wife and I would be happy sitting in at a cruise-in. Right now, the odds-on favorites are screaming red (sorry Vern), sun yellow (sorry Vern), or metallic plum purple (sorry Vern).

I had a judge for car shows tell me he would never deduct points for the color choice as long as you could special order the vehicle in that color. As far as I know, you could special order these trucks in darn near any color scheme you wanted as long as you would pay for it and wait for it. Some of the company and fleet trucks had pretty weird color schemes from what I can recall reading and seeing.

Have a blast with it - it is your truck, isn't it? For what it's worth, the seafoam doesn't turn me on too much either but I would NEVER give anyone else a hard time about their color choice if that color made them happy. Well, maybe "Kai's International Safety Orange" deserves a hard time - but he's probably the only one I'd give a hard time. Oh wait, he painted it that color for safety reasons on the Autobahn. Never mind.

Old 11-16-2002, 08:57 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Nov-02 AT 09:58 AM (EST)]George,

I love sun yellow and plum purple (although I could live without the metallic)...even red (but you see so much of it). Choosing the paint seems a long way off for my truck, but actually purple, forest green, aqua, and grey are colors I'm partial to. Now, if I can just get everything else far enough along to consider paint choices that would be great!

Old 11-16-2002, 09:31 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru

Looks real nice! I saw a '59 in a similar green locally where I live. Very sharp color. Didn't have the cream colored roof, but still a very sharp looking color. And hey, I just had my '59 painted red!!! Hey, to each his own, right? Bottom line: it's YOUR project, make it look how YOU want it to. Have fun!!! and C-ya on the chat... Daryl

Old 11-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Uncle JT
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Nov-02 AT 11:32 AM (EST)]> How will the rest be done?

Fenders will be Seafoam green but the bumpers and steel wheels, with whitewall tires, will be the ivory color. The grill will also be the same ivory color.

- JT

Old 11-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master

I like it a lot!

Old 11-16-2002, 01:25 PM
VespaJay
Freshman User

Hey, that looks a lot like the factory colors on my '59 - the interior has a white band running across the dash and onto the doors. I think the cream is a great idea, I say go for it just like your picture. Let's start a new slogan: "Red is dead, green is keen."

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?&photoid=10052&width=0

Old 11-18-2002, 12:40 PM
29abone
Junior User

I had thought about a two tone style like this, but in black and silver.

Larry

Old 11-18-2002, 02:45 PM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...JT, two-tone is cool. I like the combo you've choosen on your photo.

...George, I knew you would be picking on me sooner or later for my 100% flat BMW Phoenix Orange. But you're not the first. The guy at the paint shop who sold me this DuPont stuff (only the best will do) almost refused to mix the flatener into the most expensive paint he sells. And now whenever I enter his shop to buy more he bangs his head against the wall. Poor him. Hope you don't copy that ... LOL )

...and you know what ?!?! ... the longer I look at its uneven finish the more I like it. Since I painted piece by piece over more than a year nothing really matches. And that I like.

... the orange was my first choice when I started my project now almost 18 years ago. I changed my mind a thousand times and now I am back where I started. Is taste cyclic ?!?!

... I guess it is a matter of taste. Anythings goes, except for pink.

Greetings from Germany !!!

Old 11-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Temkin
New User