Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

F-150 w/diesel for 2008or 09?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wendell borror
I just read an article on this in truck trend, the f-150 will be getting the 4.4 turbo v8 diesel from land rover, Ford and international are on the outs, if it wasn't for needing the 6.4 to stay on scedule, I believe ford would be done with international. I don't look for anymore joint ventures between the two after this.

Well I do not think that will be the case. Ford needs International and International needs Ford.

I'm sure those 2 will work things out and stay on course.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Libra
Senior User
When I showed my husband a article that stated that Honda would be bringing diesels into the US in 09 he said, "Damnit Ford get your s**t together!" We think it's a good idea for the f150 and expedition but I would love to see a diesel in something a little smaller. Volkswagens get great fuel economy with the tdis so why can't we get a diesel in a escape or focus. We are not sold on the whole hybrid thing but are fans of the diesel. Yes and you better believe that with Gore at Capitol hill today our driving habits and what we drive could be FORCED to change.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The thing that holds diesels back in this country is the EPA, regs change every couple of years. Beause of new regs it killed the diesel in the jeep liberty and it will get the new v6 diesel with the 08 redesign. They offer 2.5 and 3.0 4 cylinder diesels in the ranger in other countries that would be a nice escape altenitive, but won't pass u.s emissions standards. As far as ford needing international, not hardly. There' alot of diesel suppliers that would love to have fords contract, not to mention they could go inhouse. It's to late for the 6.4, but for future diesels I don't believe you'll see international stamped on it anywhere. As for light duty diesels volvo and land rover both have offerings, maybe ford will start taking advatage of those more.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
arcturner
Senior User
Put me on the waiting list for a diesel F150. Love my 05 F350 PSD, but I'd buy an F150 diesel in a heartbeat.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
HamerDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by Libra
.../ Volkswagens get great fuel economy with the tdis .
When their not in the shop.
I would hope the F150 Diesel will be less problematic then the later VW's Diesel offering. People seem to dump them after the warrante is up. All kinds of issues from clogged intakes to sensors failing and on and on. Truly an engine that can empty it's owners pocket...so where's the fuel savings?
No BS >I know it's pretty bad when a VW service writer (friend) even told me when I was looking for a reliable small commuter "to stay away", really.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
f460
Junior User
MAINTANENCE, that is the key. After running tests on the new and future diesel emission devices I'll say you "let this stuff go and you will pay for it". It is essential to run ultra low sulfur fuel. You have to run the correct oil, low or no zinc additives. A lot for everyone too learn, service techs, owner/operator, everyone who wants or will be forced to run a diesel. Remember this, of the known crude oil reserves left only about 30-35% will make good gasoline (sweet crude) the rest is good for diesel and heating oil. So we may all end up wth one sooner or later.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM
fruth04
Senior User
diesel in f150, best idea yet, some of us like to pull stuff and have power on tap but by no means need a 3/4 ton or bigger for intown driving, and these new diesel engines are quieter then alot of gassers and have such a strong torque curve they pull thru all the gears in a very smooth manner where my current f150 would struggle and lug geears up to sppeed. im only 20 but i will have my name on the list for one when they arrive, first i need a work car, anyone got an 01 focus for cheap ?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Libra
Senior User
Originally Posted by HamerDown
When their not in the shop.
I would hope the F150 Diesel will be less problematic then the later VW's Diesel offering. People seem to dump them after the warrante is up. All kinds of issues from clogged intakes to sensors failing and on and on. Truly an engine that can empty it's owners pocket...so where's the fuel savings?
No BS >I know it's pretty bad when a VW service writer (friend) even told me when I was looking for a reliable small commuter "to stay away", really.
No kidding on Volkswagen. It's a shame because they are getting around 45-50 mpgs. Yeah so my husband wants a commuter but prefers Fords and doesn't like hybrids............What to do??????????????????????????????

Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 AM
HamerDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by Libra
No kidding on Volkswagen. It's a shame because they are getting around 45-50 mpgs. Yeah so my husband wants a commuter but prefers Fords and doesn't like hybrids............What to do??????????????????????????????
It was a tough pill to swallow me being Mr. Ford/Harley/Corvette and all but EVERYTHING led me to a Toyota Corolla-S 41mpg hwy and 35 city. One of the best cars on the street.
Regretfully I must sell it due to a Lay-off, the reason I purchased it as a dependable, reliable commuter from Philly Pa to Atlantic City NJ. I only put 6000 miles on it.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/286860538.html

Old 03-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Libra
Senior User
Originally Posted by HamerDown
It was a tough pill to swallow me being Mr. Ford/Harley/Corvette and all but EVERYTHING led me to a Toyota Corolla-S 41mpg hwy and 35 city. One of the best cars on the street.
Regretfully I must sell it due to a Lay-off, the reason I purchased it as a dependable, reliable commuter from Philly Pa to Atlantic City NJ. I only put 6000 miles on it.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/car/286860538.html
Sorry to hear about the layoff. Hope things will be looking up for you soon.

I secretly admire the Yaris, I think it is so darn cute but my husband will not swallow that pill. Who knows.....................

Old 03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
sglynx1
Elder User
Diesel F-150 is brilliance. A lot of people will dump them after warranties because sould injectors fail... something go wrong, it could easily cost $4-9k just to get it fixed. A buddy of mine just had his 04 PSD injectors replaced.... bill = $5900. OUCH! Diesels are great for a lot of things and if you take care of them they will last longer than anything on the market... but if something goes wrong, I hope that 401K is in place to help out!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:16 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I took my 6.4 training, tucked in the corner of the shop, with no explanation, was a v6 diesel (navistar) engine on a stand. It was set up exactly like the 6.4 with 2 turbos, 2 egr coolers. My instructor wouldnt comment.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Ford4-life
Senior User
I would love to have a diesel in a F-150. This is my personal wish list for the engine line up for 09 150's. Base 300I6 direct injected SOHC, 5.0 SOHC, 5.7 SOHC, 6.2 DOHC, and the TT diesel V6. Tell me that wouldent be perfect have all SOHC be the 3 valve per cylinder matted to 6-spds with the option of a nice manual. I like to dream lol.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
In Brazil the Super Duties come with a 3.9 liter Cummins 4 cylinder diesel.

Puts out plenty of power.

I think the 4.4 liter diesel would be fine for the base motor in the Super Duty application as well. Something like 420 ft. lbs of torque is just fine.

The old 7.3 in its first incarnation only put out like 475 ft. lbs.

It would be nice to have two diesel options, especially on the Super Duty line, for those who don't tow big.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 PM
PinkyRingz
Senior User
I wonder what the "emissions taxes" introduced by harpers gov't will do to Ford's plans to introduce the diesel? As of the moment trucks are exempt but suv's and cars are hit pretty good. the paper said that the tax on suv's will be another hit to the struggling automakers. it'll be interesting to see what kind of mileage a small block diesel will put out in a 150 chassis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-150 w/diesel for 2008or 09?