Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

51 bench seat, one piece side glass

Old 11-30-2002, 07:54 PM
vintagehorse
New User
vintagehorse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post 51 bench seat, one piece side glass

I need to know what year's bench seat's will fit in my 51'. I also need to know if someone makes a one piece side glass conversion. Thanks

Old 11-30-2002, 09:04 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
DS02F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Nov-02 AT 10:05 PM (EST)]Not sure on the bench seats. But, Sacramento Vintage Ford (www.vintage-ford.com) or 1-888-FORD-100 has a complete kit that will convert to one-piece window for the '51. According to their catalog (pg. 295, part #8462=clear glass; #8462-T = tinted glass; and #8462-S= smoked glass). For the complete kit which includes: tempered glass, special brackets, all required felts, lower metal glass holders, and instructions. For BOTH doors = $340.

If you do call them (9-6 Mon thru Fri; 9-5 Sat), you might transfer to their tech department and ask about the seats.

Daryl

Old 12-03-2002, 12:38 AM
purple51
New User
purple51 is starting off with a positive reputation.

can't help with seat,but I installed one piece glass kit in my 51 $$250choice of tints all parts...vintageglass.com

Old 12-03-2002, 01:30 AM
Kai
Elder User
Kai is starting off with a positive reputation.

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-Dec-02 AT 02:32 AM (EST)]vintagehorse,

Greetings from Germany !!!

... as for the bench I can only tell you what does not fit. I did a research on bench seats when I was looking for one for my 54 F100. I finally ended up with one from a '80 F350 (i.e. full size Ford). This is a very tight fit. When the bench back is upright there's less than 1" each side to the cab (metal, not any padding or what - I don't have a headliner or anything yet). When I fold the back forward I am scratching the pillars and then the door metal. I guess when I do upholster the bench I will try to take an inch out somehow. I also checked Dodge full size benches and they are even wider (at least what I saw).

Now what does this tell you? A full size bench won't fit! Before I bought the full size bench I also looked at a bench which someone had in a mid 40s truck. I understand that it came from a mini pick up and it was min. 4 - 5 inches narrower than what I have now. I just went out to my truck and measured 57" from door pillar to door pillar at the height of the top of the bench back (... and that is just below the rear window). The cab is certainly a few inches wider below that line, but that does not matter. However, what matters is that the cab gets narrower the further forward you measure and that may matter again as this may limit how far you can fold the back forward until you're stuck between the doors (or at least one door because you will never fold it forward when both door are closed, right ?).

To cut a long story short: you need one from a mini truck. However, measuring yourself on your truck and then on the benches at the junk yards won't hurt.

Good Luck !!!
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Old 12-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Gwilkrrs
Posting Guru
Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gwilkrrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

purple51, how hard was the install? im looking at putting 1 piece glass in my 51 but am not sure yet. was the kit complete/ did you have to buy anything esle for the sides or was it all included in the kit? thanks

Old 12-06-2002, 02:30 AM
55forder
Elder User
55forder is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 12-07-2002, 12:03 AM
purple51
New User
purple51 is starting off with a positive reputation.

kit was complete...choice of tints.It wasn't very hard except window channel(fuzzies)are hard to do if they are beaded.I went for the non-beaded after I went through a pair. I got better...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.