Nebraska Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 97nukeford

What a shame:

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Ozark Ford_1970
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What a shame:

Yesterday I was broadsided by a lady that ran a light and my 1970 was totaled. I am in mourning.........

Larry

Old 10-07-2006, 05:03 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
What a bummer.
Hope she has good ins.
* moment of silence *

Old 10-07-2006, 06:35 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Larry, that is very sad news... I hope you are doing ok.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Ozark Ford_1970
Senior User
Get this: In Nebraska if you are turning left, it doesn't matter what happened. You get the ticket. After I did, the cop said someone else could be going 80 mph and run a red lite and hit you, if you were making a left turn... it is your fault and you get the ticket.
Has anyone else heard of this law? It must be on the books since he ticketed me.
Believe me I am one Pi**ed off guy. For getting the ticket and for losing my '70. Any lawyers out there that would care to help me on this one???
Larry

Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Strokerin
Cross-Country
That does suck, Larry! Sorry to hear about your loss. As far as the law goes, my dad used to be a cop, I could ask him if you want me to.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Ozark Ford_1970
Senior User
Originally Posted by Strokerin
That does suck, Larry! Sorry to hear about your loss. As far as the law goes, my dad used to be a cop, I could ask him if you want me to.
That would be great. I need all the help I can get on this one.
I hate to let her walk away after totaling my baby.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:47 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Well I know Shasteen in Lincoln. I think he kind of deals in injuries, but that probably makes him pretty savvy in traffic accidents. The left turn=your fault sounds on its face like 100% baloney. I was a cop for 6 years, not in Nebraska, but thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. You can't patently say a left turn or a right turn or . . . Every case is a compilation of all of the factors.
Example - most of the time, if you get rear ended, its the guy behind you responsible. But not every time. I can even rattle off the old "you need to drive in accordance with the road and weather conditions and appropriate consideration for the load you are hauling" when its someone in a trailer. But reality. Reality is, people get behind a truck with a trailer and they're impatient. Their trip is more important, they're irritated because they can't see, and they pass him. Then they zip right back into the lane right in front of him and OH MY GOSH theres a red light better slam on the brakes. Well physics lesson folks. They need to drive with appropriate consideration for the other traffic. 10 tons doesnt stop in the same distance as 2, and you can read all about it in the state drivers handbook. So in that scenario, it's not the pickup with the trailers fault, he never had the time to respond to the other idiot.
Now I know squat about your particular scenario, and I suspect theres more to it. Up to you if you want to share, but I'll stand by the original statement that if the only thing he ticketed you on was a left turn, he's out of bounds.
And how do I get my name to show Lincoln, NE, anyway?

Old 10-07-2006, 07:49 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
BTW, next time you see a cop making a left turn, broad side him and see if the story changes. :-)

Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Ozark Ford_1970
Senior User
Originally Posted by TwelveAlpha
Well I know Shasteen in Lincoln. I think he kind of deals in injuries, but that probably makes him pretty savvy in traffic accidents. The left turn=your fault sounds on its face like 100% baloney. I was a cop for 6 years, not in Nebraska, but thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. You can't patently say a left turn or a right turn or . . . Every case is a compilation of all of the factors.
Example - most of the time, if you get rear ended, its the guy behind you responsible. But not every time. I can even rattle off the old "you need to drive in accordance with the road and weather conditions and appropriate consideration for the load you are hauling" when its someone in a trailer. But reality. Reality is, people get behind a truck with a trailer and they're impatient. Their trip is more important, they're irritated because they can't see, and they pass him. Then they zip right back into the lane right in front of him and OH MY GOSH theres a red light better slam on the brakes. Well physics lesson folks. They need to drive with appropriate consideration for the other traffic. 10 tons doesnt stop in the same distance as 2, and you can read all about it in the state drivers handbook. So in that scenario, it's not the pickup with the trailers fault, he never had the time to respond to the other idiot.
Now I know squat about your particular scenario, and I suspect theres more to it. Up to you if you want to share, but I'll stand by the original statement that if the only thing he ticketed you on was a left turn, he's out of bounds.
I was going to turn left but the arrow changed. So I waited for the light to turn yellow, a truck in front of her ran the light, so I waited a second, the light was just turning red. I couldn't stop in the middle of the intersection, so I started to make the turn and this lady runs a red light and hits me while I am making the turn. She lied to the cop and said her light was yellow. But all 3 other lanes going her way had stopped when it turned yellow. I was always told by the athorities that a yellow light was the same as a red light. You have to stop if you can do so safely. H-E-L-P.....

Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Ozark Ford_1970
Senior User
BTW, next time you see a cop making a left turn, broad side him and see if the story changes. :-)
Good point..... I am pretty sure it would be seen differently by the cop.
Larry

Old 10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Larry... Once again, sorry to hear about the accident, sounds like you really got a raw deal.

Not to be the bad guy here, but FTE has some pretty strict rules regarding discussions of legal matters:
Originally Posted by F2504x4

FTE is not a source for obtaining legal opinion, information, proceedings or actions, in any form. If a person has a legal issue they should discuss it with their attorney - not on FTE.

This has been in our guidelines for a long time:

You may not use this site to discuss or organize any legal action, including but not limited to class-actions.

There are no exceptions to this.

Thank you for your time regarding this matter.
So, please, take the legal aspect of this discussion off-line.

Thanks for understanding guys!

Rob

Old 10-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Ozark Ford_1970
Senior User
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Larry... Once again, sorry to hear about the accident, sounds like you really got a raw deal.

Not to be the bad guy here, but FTE has some pretty strict rules regarding discussions of legal matters:

So, please, take the legal aspect of this discussion off-line.

Thanks for understanding guys!

Rob
YES SIR! UNDERSTOOD SIR. NO HARM MEANT FIGURED IT WAS ALL IN JUST A BS SORT OF WAY SIR.
HOWEVER SIR, I WILL WATCH MY CONDUCT IN THE FUTURE SIR.
OUT,
Larry

Old 10-07-2006, 09:23 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Click on "User CP", on the left near the top of the screen, then select "edit profile" from the list. There are a couple spots under the profile where you can specify your location.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:28 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Cowboy: wilco.
Disclaimer: I'm a contractor, not a lawyer. Any legal advice you get from me is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Thanks for understanding guys... that is the not-so-fun part of being chapter leader....

Quick Reply: What a shame: