2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FX4 5.4 Power Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink 2006 FX4 5.4 Power Gains?

I just picked up a loaded FX4 at a great price ($31,600) and am wondering what kind of powers gains I can add with just bolt ons. Sorry if this seems long.

(BTW, if you haven't heard of the Costco Car Buying Program, you should check it out. I paid invoice($36,500) plus $100.00 and then I also got the $5,000.00 rebate)

Some thoughts I am having.

Exhaust: Local Muffler shop 2.5" - 3" catback dual exhaust
Intake: Some Cold Air Induction
Computer: ???, All of the programmers seem the same. I am after something that is legal, and safe.

Anyone out there have real world Dyno #'s? I have been looking for real results. Not the projected stuff all of these companies claim.

pics coming soon. too dark outside for a decent pic

Old 10-19-2006, 07:44 PM
sploder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tylus, I'm a newby here and all my trucks have been stock in the past, but I've been looking at bankspower.com for some ideas on an '07 screw 4x4. Gail Banks has a solid rep for quality and power. Speed cost money, how fast do want to go? The site quotes dyno results for several "bolt-on" kits (although a blower seems like more than just a bolt-on to me).

Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
I would do a search. From all the mods i have done to new body F150s, heres a list of what I have found to make the most power on these trucks

Tuner: BamaChips custom Xcalibrator 2 tuner. Three custom tunes, made for your truck, with the mods you are going to have. Able to access ALL of the pcm, unlike most of the other tuners out there, to make improvements throughout the rpm range, at any throttle position

Intake: With a bamachips tuner, you can use the JLT short ram intake. It needs a tune to adjust for the extra air. Without a bamachips tune, look at the Volant intake. Its one of the cleanest looking and best performing intakes out there, has a closed box to block out the heat, and is upgradable to use the optional ram air tube.

Exhaust: Whatever you use, stick with Magnaflow. The cat back systems are GREAT for bolt on stuff, all stainless mandrel bent tubing, and it all actually fits. If you want to go custom, cut the pipe before the Y and run true duals, 2.5" with a Magnaflow DIDO muffler. The DIDO magnaflow mufflers have a crossover core, which you will need anyway with a true dual system

Other mods, look at underdrive pulleys and efans. These are not mods that create power, rather free up power, and quite a bit of it too. And these 2 mods ACTUALLY increase fuel mileage. On a dyno, my truck made 262 hp to the wheels with just a magnaflow catback and pulleys and efans. I can post a chart if youd like to see it.

Now, I sell all the parts and many more, which would make most people think this is just a sales pitch on the parts I make the most money on. This is definately not true. The parts I listed are from over 2 years of research and testing MANY parts on MY OWN truck, and all these parts are the ones I have found to be the best. In fact, I even package them up into kits to save money on getting all the best parts at once.

Check out my site when you get a chance, it doesnt get any easier to see what performance parts are out there, and our prices are very competitive. Im also here to answer any questions I have and offer my own experience with these parts on new body F150s

Jusnes Modified 04+ F150 Performance Parts

Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

thanks for the replies. I had read about the BamaChips custom Xcalibrator 2 tuner, but I am scared about voiding the warranty with a pcm mod. as for the exhaust and intake, I am looking for dyno #'s so i can make an informed decision. I plan on spending $1000.00 to $2000.00 when I buy, so I want the best for my money

btw, how loud is the magnaflow? and does it sound like those stinkin' flowmasters. Fords have their own distinctive exhaust notes and I don't want my truck sounding like a chevy

as for hp #'s, I am looking to achieve 240-260 at the wheels minimum, while the 300 hp that ford is claiming would be great to have at the wheels, not the flywheel

Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
you should be able to hit that easily with a tuner, exhaust, and intake. Like i mentioned before, I had 262 at the wheels with the magnaflow, pulleys and efans.

The magnaflow sounds really nice, here is a vid clip of my truck on the dyno with a magnaflow SISO catback. its has a MUCH more civilized tone than the flowmaster, which is why i like it. It still makes a mean sound, when you romp on it. Even now that i have the true duals, its a little louder, but so quiet at idle, i dont even notice the truck is running.

http://www.jusnesmodified.com/F150pull.wmv

As far as the tuner goes, if you are serious about power, then i would consider a tuner a MUST HAVE. you can always set the truck back to stock if you have to take it into the dealer, and they will be none the wiser.

Since you have no mods, I would seriously consider our power packs, we grouped up the BEST products in a category, and teamed them up in matched packages that will give you the best gains. This is great, esp if you plan to buy all the mods at the same time, you can save a few bucks.

http://www.jusnesmodified.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=156_161_275

Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

wow, you're truck sounds wicked. that is exactly the effect I am looking for at wide open throttle. I think the magnaflow true duals are what I am after. I like being able to hear my vehicles idle when the windows are down. thanks for the great clip

for the tuner you sell, are the 3 preloaded tunes based on just the stock engine configuration or on your power packages? I like the package 5.4 you have, but I need 2 pipes out the rear

maybe I can talk my wife into letting one/two of your packages be my christmas present

Old 10-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
You can upgrade to the magnaflow Dual system in that power pack, i think its only $20 more. The tuner comes with tunes to fit your mods. So when you order it, youll just enter in what you have at the time, or what you will have when you install the tunes. Down the road, if you add more mods that need tune tweaks, we will update it for you for free. Only thing we wont update for free is if you need dyno time, like if you got a blower, etc.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

would you mind posting the dyno charts you do have? no blower in my future, just the easy bolt ons

Old 10-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
here is the chart of mine, this is a 2004 F150 5.4, with magnaflow SISO cat back, and our power pack 2 (pulleys and efans)

Old 10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

impressive, once I get a little more cash I think I'll be coming to visit your store. thanks for you info

Old 10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Tony351
Junior User
WARNING... don't let this saleperson fool you. A PCM WILL void your warranty. Once you set your PCM back to stock, the PCM records the date. Any smart dealer can figure out when it was reflashed and if it doesn't match the last time it was done at a dealer, you are screwed (if it is a tranny or engine problem). I bought mine knowing this but I didn't care because I put less than 8,000 miles per year on my truck. Before the salesperson responds, it is possible to get away with the warranty issue with a PCM if you find an incompetent dealer.

By the way, I have the Edge Evolution and I love it along with everyone else who has one on this web site. Haven't seen one complaint yet.

Old 10-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
Haha, I have recieved PLENTY of complaints about the EDGE, and have done quite a few retunes. Ever see used EDGEs on ebay???? I have NEVER seen anyone ditch custom tuning for canned tuning, like the edge.

And i would never tell anyone your warranty wont be voided. It will if they catch you. But they cant tell if you changed the program, or if the battery was reset. So unless they catch you with aftermarket programming, or your tuner is sitting on the seat when you bring it in, they wont be able to prove that you had different tuning on it. Believe me, the issue is well worn.

And I dont appreciate the term salesperson. I dont sell an item to sell it. I sell items I know are the best. I started out just like the rest of you guys wtih my 2004 F150.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:05 PM
joeypurcell
Senior User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony351
WARNING... don't let this saleperson fool you.

By the way, I have the Edge Evolution and I love it along with everyone else who has one on this web site. Haven't seen one complaint yet.
To address your Edge comment, I own the Edge, I also had a Troyer setup XCal2 and tested a Bama Xcal2. Nothing will ever compare to a custom tune, my Edge from day one was great, until I upgraded it from their website. It has been nothing but downhill from there. I will not run the Edge tune on my truck anymore, only for gauge purposes. It is what it is, a canned tune. So here is your first seen complaint. Maybe I am bias, since I have run custom tunes in the past, who knows

tylus: Your truck sounds awesome. Bob will not BS you into buying anything he does not support. This site has great sponsors and people who know there stuff. Trust the pros.

Last edited by joeypurcell; 10-20-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
marlonmccurtis
New User
How would you rate the edge to the superchip tunerpaq, and the hypertech. I just ordered my intake and Im looking to purchase a tuner. Like the edge but the parameters are limited according to other posts, whereas the super, and hyper can set more para then the edge, Please let me know your thoughts

Old 09-10-2017, 05:52 PM
joeimp
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bob Jusnes
look at underdrive pulleys and efans.
I was reading through the how-to section after buying my 04 Screw 5.4. I think the underdrive pulley is one of the best bang for your buck mods. Def. on my list.