Notices

Soft Tonneau Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Murk
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft Tonneau Question

Do any of you that have one of these ever have an issue with contantly hearing it flap up and down when driving at high rpm's even with support bars?

I have a LineX spray in bedliner and would love to get a cover, but the hard ones are SO expensive. I'd like to pick one up, preferrably snapless, but a few guys at work say the noise from the soft cover drives them nuts.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Abaddon
Senior User
Thumbs up

Honestly its not all that bad, with the rear window open and the others down you can hear it snap but its nothing that will drive you crazy. Maybe your buddies do not have theirs on tight enough if they hear it flapping so much. I hope this helps some, if you have anymore questions I will be happy to try to help ya out.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got a Truxedo Lo-Pro and I've never heard it but I usually have the windows all closed
Take a look at https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...eau_Cover.html to see how the cover goes on and what it looks like.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:25 AM
john112deere
Posting Guru
I have a cheap one that's several years old and the cover material is in pretty bad shape. I can just barely hear it flapping when driving with the back window and driver's window open, but it doesn't bother me (and I'm pretty easily bothered ).

Having said that, I hate the thing. It's also just useful enough that I can't bring myself to take it off the truck. I don't know if it's as true with the better quality ones, but on mine, it's darn near impossible to snap it back on unless it's a sunny, warm day, even with everything set at the loosest setting. The end result of this is that if I take it off anytime after Columbus day, it doesn't go back on until April, which means I need a trailer to haul anything big during those months.

I've seen some hinged, removable soft tonneaus that look like they might solve most of these problems, and I think if I bought a new truck, I'd invest in one of those. They're quite a bit more expensive than the regular ones, though.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 AM
taylorjs
Freshman User
Racerguy - I have been looking at the Truxedo Lo-Pro myself. How has your cover held up against the weather? Does it keep the rain out of the box?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll find out in winter how well it holds up to a snow load but I can't see there being any problem. Like it shows in the article, my friend layed down on it and it hardly moved. That Velcro is strong stuff!
Almost all the rain stays out. The side rails aren't totally sealed against the box so a bit of water can get past them. So far it hasn't been enough to worry about at all but I guess you could put some silicone or something on the back side of the rails before attaching them.
Overall the Lo-Pro is one of the best things I've added to my truck

Old 10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
KimChee75
Junior User
I got a snap on one, the flapping isn't that bad, if you can hear it just turn up the radio lol.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Talking Lo Pro for me 2 . . .

I have a Lo pro as well and it is a great cover. No snapping in the wind, easy to use or remove, lot's of colors to pick (see gallery). great option at a reasonable price . . .

Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 PM
jello
Senior User
I have an Access cover (same as truxedo).
No noise.(you can adjust it to make it tight)
Water gets in through the little gaps in the corners etc.
Will handle snow no problem. I can walk around on mine (175lbs).

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jello
I have an Access cover (same as truxedo).
I work for a Ford dealership and we have sold both Access and Truxedo covers. The Access cover is superior in just about every aspect to the Truxedo.

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/p...s/category/C9/

Access started out building tarps for grain trailers and adapted to trucks. Truxedo came out as a "copy cat" low price substitute.

Sorry Truxedo owners, but that opinion is universal across our ENTIRE parts, service and sales departments. Flame away if you wish, but ......

Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Talking Say what you like . . .

For the money I think the LoPro Truxcedo is a quality product. Have had it for years and, w/care like all products, it has done very well. They may have started out like you mention but as of the current products they work well and meet my needs.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:57 PM
jello
Senior User
Originally Posted by ClydeSDale
I work for a Ford dealership and we have sold both Access and Truxedo covers. The Access cover is superior in just about every aspect to the Truxedo.

http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C9/

Access started out building tarps for grain trailers and adapted to trucks. Truxedo came out as a "copy cat" low price substitute.

Sorry Truxedo owners, but that opinion is universal across our ENTIRE parts, service and sales departments. Flame away if you wish, but ......
What I ment was that they are the same type of cover. I only ever sold Access so I don't know what others are like. Access also makes a lo pro version and I like how the sides of the Access are slanted and not square.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Wink Understand . . .

Originally Posted by jello
What I ment was that they are the same type of cover. I only ever sold Access so I don't know what others are like. Access also makes a lo pro version and I like how the sides of the Access are slanted and not square.
Yes, the truxcedo has the angled sides as well on the Lo Pro version. It sits almost flush w/ the truck sides and is as low a cover as I could find.

Last edited by Lonewolftx; 11-10-2006 at 06:46 AM.