Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Powerstroke vs 6.0 Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 AM
ecrailings
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same question as you. I had heard of problems with the 6.0.

I asked the tech at the Frod dealer aboout this, he said if I buy a 6.0; don't buy one pre 06. He stated that they have alot of issues with the Head gaskets and other pricey repairs with the earlier models.
I was wondering if they are sorted out now or if they just haven't been exposed yet with the 06-07 trucks. I was also wondering, because he is employed by Ford, would he be afraid to tell me not to buy a new one.

The 7.3 is one unbelievebly tough and durable powerplant.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:50 AM
PA_Ford_Man
Junior User
In June of this year, I purchased my first PSD, a 2003 6.0L F350 with 186,000 miles, at an auction. At that time, I was new to the PSD and was not aware of the 6.0L "problems" or of this valuable website. The truck was running just fine as they pulled it into the auction bay. No smoke, running smooth, looked good and sounded good. So, I bought it "as is, where is".

Needless to say, I got the vehicle home with no trouble and parked it for the night. The next morning, the horror began. I started it in the morning and boy what a difference! The engine was running very rough and rocking the truck pretty bad. Sounded like it was only running on a few cylinders. After struggling for about 15 minutes, it smoothed out and idled pretty well. I got in and started to drive it noticing it still had a bit of hesitation and roughness, all of which smoothed out and ran well after the engine got up to operating temperature.

I quickly decided that I had better change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. Although it was a good idea, there was no improvement of the way the engine performed. Always rough running after first starting, but ran well after reaching operating temp. I decided I had better get a diagnosis from the local Dealer. His diagnosis indicated 6 Bad Injectors out of 8 and suggested replacing all 8, while it is apart! The estimate was $3,000.00 for the job. I thought I had made a good deal when I purchased it for $13,500.00, but really wasn't expecting to spend another $3,000.00 as soon as I got it.

I was deeply disapointed and decided not to get the work done. I started searching the web and found this website. I quickly gained a good deal of insight into PSDs and their respective troubles. I took the vehicle back to the auction and ran it through, getting most of my money back. I then was on my search for a 7.3L and found a 2002 7.3L with some miles (212,000) for $9,000.00. Aside from needing a new set of tires and a drag link (+ alignment), I have been happy ever since. Engine runs well and even with these cold mornings (32 F) as of late, no problem starting indicating that the Glow Plugs, Relay and Batteries are still in good shape.

So, is the 7.3L "better" than the 6.0L? I don't know for sure, but I'm happy with my choice and will keep it for many years to come.

Last edited by PA_Ford_Man; 10-16-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 AM
dunbar15
Senior User
changes to 06 6.0

I would get a 06 6.0 if money is not a issue, I think ford has worked 99% of
the bugs out of this engine, heres some info I got on this site as to changes made..
I love my 7.3 but it is very loud and a has slow acceleration unless modded,
I dont have the cash for mods.. I hear the 6.0 goes like a raped ape.. Also the 06 is supposed to ride alot better due to the front suspension improvements..

6.0 changes<O</O

Subject: 2006 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke Cylinder Head Commonization
Effective Date: Ford Production Assembly Plants - January 11, 2006
Kentucky Truck Plant (Super Duty) & Lorraine Assembly Plant (Econoline)
Description
Changes are being made to the 6.0L diesel cylinder head, head gasket, crankcase block, rocker
arm carrier and injector hold down clamps for the 2006 Super Duty and Econoline Program. The
action is taking place to facilitate/communize the International manufacturing process for the
upcoming 6.4L program. The 2006 6.0L used in Ford vehicles after January 11, 2006 are being
referred to as "Commonization Engines".
Part number details are provided on a separate excel spreadsheet.

Figure 1 - New cylinder head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M10 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (relocated)
The new cylinder heads have several casting changes including a slight injector clamp bolt hole
relocation (2, figure 1) and the carrier boss bolt hole size and location changes (1, figure 1). New
cylinder heads also use 32 mm cup plugs replacing the old 28 mm cup plugs.
The cylinder head gasket is also new to accommodate the new 20mm cylinder head location
dowels. Pre commonization head use 18mm dowels
Note: At this time the new cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the previously level
head.

Figure 2 – Previous Level Cylinder Head
1. Carrier boss bolt holes M8 x 1.5
2. Injector clamp bolt holes (original locations)
Note: The previous level cylinder head assembly is not interchangeable with the new head.

Figure 3 - New Block Assembly
The new crankcase (block) uses two 20mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
The old crankcase (block) uses two 18mm cylinder head locating dowels per head.
Note: The new and old block assembly is not interchangeable. This affects replacement of all 6009
short blocks and the 6010 bare blocks.

Rocker Arm Carrier:
Figure 4 - New Rocker Arm Carrier
Casting changes to the rocker carrier provide increased clearance for new injector hold down
clamps (figure 6). The new carrier also uses only 2 bolts and locating dowels to attach the carrier
to the head.
The new rocker carrier is serviced in a Rocker Arm Carrier Kit which includes the rocker carrier
cover, gasket and necessary dowels.
Note: The new and old rocker arm carrier kits are not interchangeable.

Figure 5 – Previous Level Rocker Arm Carrier Kit
The old rocker arm carrier uses 4 attaching bolts to hold the carrier to the old cylinder head (figure
2).
The previous rocker arm carrier is also serviced in a kit which includes the rocker carrier cover,
gasket and necessary dowels.
Note: The previous level rocker arm kit is not interchangeable with the new kit and will remain
available for service.
Injector Hold Down Clamp:
Figure 6 - New Injector Hold Down Clamp Assembly
The tail end of the new injector hold down clamp is being reduced to avoid interference with the
rocker arm carrier wall. Injector hold down clamp bolt torque will increase from 24 lbf·ft to 25.8 lbf·ft
and bolt head size will increase from T40 to T45.
Note: The new and old injector hold down clamps are not in interchangeable.

Figure 7 – Previous Level Injector Hold Down Clamp Assembly
Note: The new and old injector hold down clamps are not in interchangeable. The old injector hold
down clamp will remain available for service.<O></O>

<O> </O>

<O> </O>

Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SSGG
there was some sort of reliablity issue with the early 01 trannies due to a diode failure or failure caused by the diode. I was more interested into why he thought there would be very few still running (01's in general or that year model trans unrepaired still running?).

Wes
The diode Only. By now most of the trannys' with the diode have had problems and have allready been replaced with the sprague. I have and 01 and it still runs like new. I got very lucky Engine built before PMR's and Tranny built before the Diode.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Decoyz
New User
Originally Posted by amiller93
As long as you take care of it the 7.3 is about as close to bulet proff as a motor can be, well except for the CPS A 60 dollar part that will cripple it and the dealer will try to charge 280 to replace. If you can find one that was taken care of the 7.3 will be very dependable. The early 01's had the "diode" in the tranny but very few of these will be left running.

The 6.0 has some bad history with the early years and the injectors, head gaskets, ect.
Thanks for the info folks....what is the CPS that is referred to? Anything else I need to investigate before buying a 7.3? What kind of mileage can I expect from a 7.3? Are there any links (or members) on this board that can access the Dealer service database where you can plug in the VIN# and it will pull the service history? Thanks everyone!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 AM
wfmcbride
Senior User
Cps

Cam Posistion Sensor, this link will tell you all about it.

http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/

Old 10-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Decoyz
New User
Appreciate the info. Can someone direct me to the link here on FTE that outlines the VIN codes? What is the digit/letter that denotes whether the pickup has the 6.0 or the 7.3? Thanks.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
If there is smoke, there usually is fire. An engine does not get a bad reputation just because people are mean or overreacting. This isn't the chevy board. If you get a bad rep on a Ford board on a Ford engine, there is something to it.

When I was shopping for a Diesel (we looked at trucks and Excursions) I only looked at the 7.3. It was interesting that some of the early 6.0 trucks wich are newer were less money than the older 7.3s. That's another tell tale sign!

Yes, the 7.3 is not very powerful in terms of horsepower. But the torque is great and being a conservatively built engine, it is what makes it last for a long time. I have no intentions to modify, as we own a sports car to go fast.

George

Old 10-18-2006, 06:38 AM
rusty350250
Senior User
i own a 7.3 and have driven the heck out of a 6.0 and ,ove the 6.0 with the 5 speed auto teh power and mpg is there no matter what(multiple fast starts(every stop sign) high speeds and hills) ( 5000 Feet) awesome econemy with the 6.0

Old 10-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Bin Strokin
Senior User
Originally Posted by amiller93
As long as you take care of it the 7.3 is about as close to bulet proff as a motor can be, well except for the CPS A 60 dollar part that will cripple it and the dealer will try to charge 280 to replace. If you can find one that was taken care of the 7.3 will be very dependable. The early 01's had the "diode" in the tranny but very few of these will be left running.

The 6.0 has some bad history with the early years and the injectors, head gaskets, ect.

Whats the CPS you speak of?

Old 10-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bin Strokin
Whats the CPS you speak of?
Refer to post #21 please.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cam Position Sensor - it provides critical engine speed data to the PCM when it goes out the truck wont run. Some people never have trouble some go through 2 or 3 in 100K miles. Easy fix just have to know how to notice the tell tell signs.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM
TwelveAlpha
Elder User
Originally Posted by cnd999
Well said Alpha, not really a ringing endorsement for the 7.3 but on target!
Right, well, just trying to be fair. There's no sense to me badmouthing the 6.0 in a blanket statement. Facts are what they are. Emotional drivel just gets in the way. I mean, If the truck you have is awesome, what do you care about the TSB's? They're discountable because that wasn't your experience. Like I said, I know people on both sides of that fence, and I don't think it'd be any different with a different brand.
My FIL has a Dodge. He's happy with that. He gives me grief over what I spend and I just say look, your truck is what, a year old, and everything electrical in it is already on the fritz. You can't say that a truck or an engine is the best, the worst, whatever, based on the one guy or five guys you know who have it. Theres a hundred thousand examples out there on the road being treated every conceivable way possible. Thats the cool part about forums. Even though you might take some of the feedback with a grain of salt, you stick with them long enough, you see patterns, and those little jewels over time add up. You can learn about more than just the guy down the block from ya.
With the 7.3, I'm probably number 1 on my list for spending, most of which is my own fault. Something shows signs of wear, it gets replaced and upgraded. That's PMS for ya. While that might not be a ringing endorsement, it isn't intended as anything else either. I love my truck. I mean it. I LOVE this truck. I waited a good while to find "just the right one" and when I got it, that was it. Significant emotional experience and all that.
I haven't had the best luck with trannies, but I dont think the engineer types ever intended for me to do what I do to that auto tranny. So BTS, and recently. I don't plan on parting with this thing anytime soon.
Though if I spend any more money on it this year, my wife might just part with me!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Twelve Alpha my truck will never be for sale either. The more the new stuff comes out, the more I like the simplicity of my Powerstroke. So what if it doesn't go as fast or pull as hard as the new 6.0. Mine will still be running 20 years from now.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:16 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
How much more horsepower does the 6.0 have over the 7.3 anyways? With enough mods a guy could always get the 7.3 to go just as fast, and pull just as hard!

Quick Reply: 7.3 Powerstroke vs 6.0 Powerstroke