HID Conversion installed on my F-350 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

HID Conversion installed on my F-350

Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Senior User

Milwaukee,WI is starting off with a positive reputation.
HID Conversion installed on my F-350

Well I ordered an HID conversion kit off of ebay for my truck.

Paid around $300 for the kit.

Installed half of it tonight. (the drivers side)

I'm half REALLY REALLY impressed and half dissappointed.

Here is a pic with the low beams on. You can obviously see the drivers side is the HID, the passenger is stock.

http://www.pbase.com/image/68514098.jpg

The problem is the HI-beams. How the hi-lo HID kit works is there are 2 bulbs. The low beam is a 6000k HID bulb. It ROCKS. I mean INCREDIBLE light output.

But for the HI beam its a regular halogen bulb. SO the HID hi-lo bulbs are actually 2 bulbs. a HID low beam and a halogen hi beam. The hi-beam is un impressive. Its actually not even as bright as the stock hi-beam. (although the low beam HID is WAY brighter than the stock halogen hi beams.

SO overall... I'm way impressed with the low beam... crystal clear CLEAN white light, and its KILLER bright... I guess the hi-beam is pretty much just there to be functional for 'flashing' your hi-beams during daylight hours.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Senior User

superdutyquest is starting off with a positive reputation.
what kind of kit did you purchase?i just bought 2 kits.1 8000k top h-13,and a 9145 8000k top.i am not sure how to connect the h-13`s.the fogs were easy but the h-13`s have a couple of extra wires that i am not sure about.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Its actually not even as bright as the stock hi-beam.
No way to change that?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdutyquest
what kind of kit did you purchase?i just bought 2 kits.1 8000k top h-13,and a 9145 8000k top.i am not sure how to connect the h-13`s.the fogs were easy but the h-13`s have a couple of extra wires that i am not sure about.
I will have to run outside and look at the brand name,but I'm going to guess its probably the same kit you have because the wiring was NOT plug and play like they said it was.

There are 2 wires that come from the halogen hi-beam on the back of the new bulb (power and ground)

The other 2 that come from the HID bulb obviously have the connectors to go into the igniters/ballasts and then you have 2 wires going into the igniters one is ground, one power.

So the ground from the hi-beam and the ground going into the igniter go into the same plug in the stock socket. (the stock socket has 3 holes, hi.lo, and ground)

So 2 of the wires will go into the ground (ground is the middle wire) Since the connectors they sent don't fit into the stock headlight plug I used t-taps off the wires going into the plug.

Quote:
No way to change that?
I really don't think so unfortunately... I think because of the 2 bulb configuration in 1 headlamt the halogen hi-beam is moved higher than 'ideal'.

Perhaps when I adjust the headlight so the low-beam (which is KILLER MONSTER BRIGHT) is a little lower I might then have the hi-beam in a better position inside the housing...

Overall I think the hi-beams are going to be pretty much useless except for the daylight flash use. The HID low beams are so monster bright I'll just use them, they throw more light than stock hi beams would.

Although I'm all ears if anyone figures out something better.

I'd LOVE it if there was a DUAL HID bulb, hi's and lo's, but that is probably asking too much.

If anyone has any questions they'd rather ask on the phone, drop me a private mesage and I'll give you a call.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Senior User

the name of the kit i bought was TOP.just a cheapie off ebay.i put them in the fogs(9145`s) and they look great.the h-13`s have 2 extra wires and they are both yellow.does it matter which is positive and negative?
Old 10-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Posting Guru

tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.tvsjr has a great reputation on FTE.
Is the kit you purchased legal for on-road use?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Postmaster

blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.blackhat620 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Is the kit you purchased legal for on-road use?
There are no legal retrofit HID kits for on-road use in a SD. The feds banned all of them.

The only vehicles allowed to retrofit there headlights to HID units are ones that were availble from the factory as an option. Here is the list

2005 North American Vehicles Equipped with Xenon Headlamps (per the MVLC):
Acura NSX, RL, RSX, TL, TSX
Audi Allroad Quattro, A4, A4 Avant, A6, A6 Avant, A8, RS6, S4, S4 Avant, S6 Avant, TT
BMW 325Ci, 330Ci, 325i, 325Xi, 330i, 330Xi, 500 Series, 645Ci, 700 Series, M3, X3, X5, Z4
Cadillac CTS, Escalade, Seville, SRX, XLR
Chrysler 300C, 300M Special, Pacifica
Ford Focus SVT
Honda S2000
Infiniti FX35, FX45, G35, I35, M45, Q45, QX56
Land Rover Range Rover
Lexus ES330, GS300, GS430, IS300, IS300 Sportcross, LS430, RX330, SC430
Lincoln Aviator, LS, Navigator, Town Car
Mazda 3, RX-8
Mercedes C-Class, CL500, CL55, CL600, CLK, E-Class, M-Class, S-Class, SL, SLK
Mini Cooper, Cooper S
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Nissan Altima, Maxima, Murano, 350Z
Porsche Boxster, Cayenne, Carrera GT, 911
Saab 38233, 38235
Subaru WRX ST1
Toyota Celica GTS, Sienna
Volkswagen Beetle, Passat, Phaeton, Touareg
Volvo S60, S80, V70, XC70, XC90

Here are weblinks to info on HID headlamp retrofit rules
www.mvlc.info/tech/xenon_faq.html#Q6
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Hope this helps
Old 10-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Senior User

Quote:

the h-13`s have 2 extra wires and they are both yellow.does it matter which is positive and negative?
Yeah, sounds like the same bulb I have...

I don't know if it matters or not, but you can't hurt the bulb running power the wrong way, so just try one if that doesn't work, try the other. (I 'think' it will work both ways)

But I do know on the stock connector plug the middle pin/wire is ground, right is low beam, left is hi beam.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior User

great thanks.i will go out and give it a try.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Freshman User

scooter80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
None of the retrofits will have a true HID highbeam. They just can't do it. It takes time for the bulb to heat up to full intensity (I am sure you have seen this if you have HID) so it would not be feasible for on/off cycling inherent to highbeam use.

Now, that said, there shouldn't be a need for highbeams on the superduties with an HID lowbeam. Your HID lows will be more than enough and probably more than stock highbeams anyways.

As far as how they do highbeam HID's on stock cars? I dunno, can't afford anything with them in it! But I did put Saleen HID's in my '06 Mustang and they do highbeam by moving the actual reflector in the headlight housing with a small motor. Now those are awesome lights!

The legality is another issue with Superduties. The light from an HID is so intense that the cars from a factory with them have gone through extensive testing and design to prevent that intense light from shining into oncoming traffic. And most of those vehicles are low enough to prevent it as well. Throw 'em on even a stock Superduty and I bet you get flashes from oncoming traffic all the time. Lift your SD? Forget about it!

I do think HID foglights are a great idea though. May have to look into it.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior User

yeah the hid 8000k in the factory fog location looks really cool.i think once i put the hid`s in the actual headlight location.i wont need the fogs much.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Senior User

Quote:

The legality is another issue with Superduties. The light from an HID is so intense that the cars from a factory with them have gone through extensive testing and design to prevent that intense light from shining into oncoming traffic. And most of those vehicles are low enough to prevent it as well. Throw 'em on even a stock Superduty and I bet you get flashes from oncoming traffic all the time.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about this... If I get flashed I'm going to adjust them down a bit and hope that does the trick.

UPDATE on the install. Turns out the reason I was unimpressed by the hi-beam last night was because the bulb was manufactured wrong. When I installed the other half (passenger side) today I noticed the halogen bulb is under the HID bulb. So I pulled the drivers side out and was able to dissassemble the bulb itself and put the halogen hi beam bulb under the HID where it belongs. Now the hi-beams are identical to the stock hi-beam.

LOVE the low beam HID (hopefully its not too good)

Quote:
None of the retrofits will have a true HID highbeam. They just can't do it. It takes time for the bulb to heat up to full intensity (I am sure you have seen this if you have HID) so it would not be feasible for on/off cycling inherent to highbeam use.
Ah, good point... Didn't think of that... I have a double HID set-up on my motorcycle LO and HI, and you're right, it isn't feasible to 'flash' the hi-beam anymore, and i only use it for night riding when I'm going to have it on for a good long spell (gotta keep an eye out for those deer)
Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Elder User

EPDP99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
do not put HID kits in halogen reflector bulbs. It produces very very bad glare for oncoming vehicles and gives probably worse than stock lighting. It will give hot spots(very bright spots) and make it harder for eyes to see usfull things since it will make your pupil get smaller and take in much less visually. If you go with a hid kit you need to do some kind of retrofit to use a reflector or projector based hid headlight. It requires customizing these into factory headlights. If you search other places you will see hid kits are supposed to creat a very distinct line where no light or glare goes above.

Take some pics of the lights against the garage door. There should be a flat line with a z pattern to the lights. the reason you are getting flashed because the glare produced above where the cutoff line is supposed to be. Search some hid sites and theres plenty to learn.

please dont take offense. as i am very interested in doing an hid kit/retrofit of some hid projectors with hid kit. I have been driving an audi a4 for a couple days and dont know which i like better honestly. you cant see crap above the cutoff and on forest roads or dark dips/hills you cant see the road infront of you. Yes you really arent supposed to see above this cutoff line but it seems some glare should be produced to help these conditions. below the cutoff like the hid blow the halogens away but above them is what im worried about. but please get some pic of them against a garage. also get us some better info on this kit of yours that you keep the halogen for the highs. or is it a bi-xenon kit where the reflector moves to allow light to go higher up but still have the cutoff but the cutoff is raised?

Last edited by EPDP99; 10-15-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 AM
FTE is my crack

jake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant futurejake00 has a brilliant future
He didnt state he was getting flashed
Old 10-15-2006, 02:12 AM
Postmaster

EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.
I've been following this thread because Xenon lights are something that I would love to have in my Ford and was hoping that someone had come out with an OEM type system. For anyone who's never taken a look at OEM Xenon type headlights here's a couple of pics that show the ones in my wifes vehicle compared to the Ford's jewel effect halogens. The pics may help when you're reading the links that Blackhat620 posted.

You can see that the Fords rely completely on reflecting the light off of the inside of the housing while the Xenon's use a glass "bulb" to project the light out and the reflective material in the housing does very little if anything.