6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

peak hp and peak tq?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:02 PM
killaford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha, ya ford is ******, chevy rules the world so do us a favor and troll a chebby site.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:16 AM
jaybird
Senior User
Well lets see if I can break it down to ya in "chevy land only" terminolgy

"stump puller" is a figure of speech kinda like chevy is "like a rock".

I think ,I said it best when I said "I would want 4.88 gears" so I guess you do know someone who would want 4.88's?Maybe you still have not realized it yet;hold on
I also said new 6.4 cc dually lifted and 38's(read again)LIFTED AND 38'S(you agree thats a good reason)...

I think that you are thinking for yourself only when replying about why any one would want 4.88 gears when a chevy 373 duramax can do the grunt work you are simulating only towing a pull behind down the road and I'm simply stating that chevy only offers 3.73's and a non-straight axle up front.I know that you cannot surely make you statements without knowing first that 450 superduty is detuned due partly because it is a greater benefit/payoff to gear a 450 with 4.88 gears and a detuned engine rather than put all the strain and work on the engine only!Hello,a 373 660 duramax has to work harder than a 650ftlb superduty with 4.88 gears;now keep in mind this is pulling,hauling heavy heavey severe duty use )hint,hint)
IE(towing,lifted/big tires,red light to red light short burst dominance,stump pulling)
BET #1
chevy 2007.5 duramax cc dually 4x4 660ftlb trq hook back to back onto a 2008 6.4 cc dually 4x4 650ftlb trq 4.88 geared cc dually with the same tire size and brand and I'll bet ya that your LITTLE ROCK won't pull my BIG ROCK!

Bet #2 Same scenario but the ford uses 4.30 gears against your 3.73 more powerful lighter weighted duramax truck(gees like a rock).

Hmm the FORD would still out pull the chevy mathmatically speaking...
Now that is a stump pulling truck!!

BET #3
Lets couple/hook a F450 650FTLB cc 4x4 dually against a 325hp cat peterbuilt and I just bet my potatoes and pie that the "pete" would win;mostly due in part to the gear,gear,gear,
But yes your 373 geared duramax gets better fuel mileage for pulling those pretty trailers around.
HMM just a thought but,what if we could get a gear vendors and split the gears or maybe just get a eaton 10 speed tranny..oh maybe real soon see we allready have the allison in a 3/4 ton why not a 10 speed in a F450(fair is fair)

PS: Ford stated that the new 450 is based on demand from TOW PEOPLE that want alittle more truck>>>)WHOLE PKG-NOT JUST A ENGINE!(POWER,GEARING,COMFORT,WEIGHT,and MAN IMAGE for their(tow trailers)jorneys across the land..

Ultimately who cares how the truck pulls but just as long as it can pull and keep pulling...I like a duramax but hate the 373's,ifs,wimpy look,light weight and its narrow minded chevy only customers!!! cheers!

Last edited by jaybird; 11-10-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 AM
pud
Posting Guru
^^^^ Im with you on that one.

Chevs are definately recreational trailer tow vehicles. Who the hell would want IFS anywhere other than the highway?
Ford has it right, if you want a caddilac-smooth ride you buy a 1/2 ton truck...not a +3/4 ton truck. Comparing a Ford to a Chev is like comparing apples to oranges. Im not flaming chev trucks and their owners, just speaking the pure truth. If you want to buy a truck you intend to work the way they were built for, you buy a Ford or a Dodge. If you want to haul the family across the continent towing a 5th wheel you buy a chev.
Anyone can try to convince me that the IFS Chev will fair just as well being worked like an illegal immigrant, offroad, as a Ford all they want. My truck gets beaten on like a red-headed foster child, but wakes up every morning and keeps on truckin straight down the road. I know for a fact chevies dont last in the working world I live in, I have seen it time and time again.
/anti-chev banter.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:13 AM
jaybird
Senior User
Its interesting that when you look at modified twin turbo muscle cars or even a modified twin turboed duramax diesel they all chose that route to achieve better response in all rpm's and more power in all rpm range while keeping it just as reliableas a single fed turbo..
IE: last year a TV trucks show showed viewers a modified two turbo duramax diesel and that engine pumped out over 2times what it hade began(1 turbo)oh and it was still on regular diesel fuel..

Two smaller turbos on a diesel 3/4 1 ton truck should perform better over all and get better fuel mileage than a single larger turbo(same engine donor ) 3/4 1 ton truck..

I've been to regional truck diesel sled pulls and what do I always see pulling the hardest?You guessed it a modified "TWIN TURBO DIESEL"!!

Its all about the added cost of putting two turbos on a new designed consumers truck versus a 1 turbo.
Ford is the company that has done it between the big three!!
Onlt time will tell if those two turbos are tied up with a good dependable engine design..
I think that Fords weakest link now will be the 5 speed what we really need is a 7 speed automatic now;to tame the fuel mileage down and the revs down while running down the road with those 4.88 gears!

Last edited by jaybird; 11-10-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jaybird
Well lets see if I can break it down to ya in "chevy land only" terminolgy

"stump puller" is a figure of speech kinda like chevy is "like a rock". I said that if you reread.

I think ,I said it best when I said "I would want 4.88 gears" so I guess you do know someone who would want 4.88's?Maybe you still have not realized it yet;hold on
I also said new 6.4 cc dually lifted and 38's(read again)LIFTED AND 38'S(you agree thats a good reason)... I said that too.

I think that you are thinking for yourself only when replying about why any one would want 4.88 gears when a chevy 373 duramax can do the grunt work you are simulating only towing a pull behind down the road and I'm simply stating that chevy only offers 3.73's and a non-straight axle up front.I know that you cannot surely make you statements without knowing first that 450 superduty is detuned due partly because it is a greater benefit/payoff to gear a 450 with 4.88 gears and a detuned engine rather than put all the strain and work on the engine only!That hasn't been proven yet, and even so, don't tell me you won't have a tuner in it anyway. Hello,a 373 660 duramax has to work harder than a 650ftlb superduty with 4.88 gears;now keep in mind this is pulling,hauling heavy heavey severe duty use )hint,hint) No, because the GM will have more than one gear in the tranny. So it has to down shift from 6th down to 4th once in a great while. (with 5th in between) I don't believe that the 4.88 gears is going to get you any better fuel economy towing than a 3.73 gear after having 350+ hp not count cruzing around empty. This is assuming stock condition, not lifted like in your case. Just theoretical for other users.
IE(towing,lifted/big tires,red light to red light short burst dominance,stump pulling) I am not a big fan of towing a 45 mph between 100' red lights.
BET #1
chevy 2007.5 duramax cc dually 4x4 660ftlb trq hook back to back onto a 2008 6.4 cc dually 4x4 650ftlb trq 4.88 geared cc dually with the same tire size and brand and I'll bet ya that your LITTLE ROCK won't pull my BIG ROCK! Big deal, my goal isn't to pull around dead weight, my goal is to beat the other guy up the mountain pass. I'll hook my 4500 kodiak to your F450......

Bet #2 Same scenario but the ford uses 4.30 gears against your 3.73 more powerful lighter weighted duramax truck(gees like a rock).

Hmm the FORD would still out pull the chevy mathmatically speaking...
Now that is a stump pulling truck!!

BET #3
Lets couple/hook a F450 650FTLB cc 4x4 dually against a 325hp cat peterbuilt and I just bet my potatoes and pie that the "pete" would win;mostly due in part to the gear,gear,gear, Who pulls who, is based on weight and traction, of which, a semi has more of both. You are so hooked on who pulls who back to back, it is unbelievable. The last time I checked, I pulled everything forward. It would be like hooking a John Deere tracked tractor to a wheeled one. The both weigh the same, and have the same gearing and hp, and the tracked JD will win every time. Your test is irrelevent.
But yes your 373 geared duramax gets better fuel mileage for pulling those pretty trailers around. Those "pretty" trailers are heavy incase you didn't know, sometimes even over the GCVWR but whatever.
HMM just a thought but,what if we could get a gear vendors and split the gears or maybe just get a eaton 10 speed tranny..oh maybe real soon see we allready have the allison in a 3/4 ton why not a 10 speed in a F450(fair is fair) Once again stupid and pointless of gears or no gears.

PS: Ford stated that the new 450 is based on demand from TOW PEOPLE that want alittle more truck>>>)WHOLE PKG-NOT JUST A ENGINE! ex: most in class hp, torque, comfort, and transmission, etc, etc. I understand completely. (POWER,GEARING,COMFORT,WEIGHT,and MAN IMAGE for their(tow trailers)jorneys across the land..

Ultimately who cares how the truck pulls I do, and you do too. but just as long as it can pull and keep pulling...I like a duramax but hate the 373's,ifs,wimpy look,light weight and its narrow minded chevy only customers!!! cheers!
Please explain your hate torwards 3.73's, IFS, and light weight. I have yet any major disadvantage to having 3.73's infact I believe that is the same ratio put into semis. What do you have against IFS? The ride, it cost too much to lift, or you plow snow??? I am lost. The last time I was in mud, I was really glad the truck didn't weight anymore than it does already. Maybe I am narrow minded, but while I am here, enlighten me. I can live with the whimpy look.

Cheers

Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
Twin and sequential are 2 completely different animals 1st off.

A twin turbo set up will flow 2 times the air that a single will, but with sequential turbos, the biggest turbo's flow is limited to the speed that the smallest turbo can spin the bigger one. so basically, sequential turbos is just to help turbo lag, and in theory shouldn't flow any more than a bigger turbo would buy itself. It will just wind up faster, and as a result, it should make more torque earlier in the RPM range. Which surprisingly, it doesn't top the competition in that area like I thought it would.

Fuel mileage is a direct result of the atomization of fuel, or the burning of fuel. Fuel only burns better with more air, which is either more boost, or a better head design. I would like to see more of both in the new powerstroke. But I am not sure the new turbos has much to do with that, I think the old turbo would have supplied plunty of boost. I guess time will tell. Feel free to pick me appart on this.

I maintain that hummers (H1's) use IFS and IRS for a reason. In the same breath, I am not in the military, and don't plan on using my vehicle like I am in the military. I have a suzuki samuri and a kodiak 450 for those such activities, both of which are cheaper than beating the heck out of a new truck, and both of which I can pull behind a new truck.

Last edited by duramaximizer; 11-10-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Sequential Turbo Operation

How does the STTS(Sequential Twin-Turbo Setup) work?

First off, there is no #2 wastegate. There is only one wastegate and it comes off #1 turbo because that turbo is always on line, therefore you always have a wastegate.

There are 4 sets of VSV's, actuators, and control valves for the sequential turbo system. Each VSV is simply a solenoid that is either 100% open or closed, allowing manifold pressure to pressurise the different actuators that open/close the four different valves.

* Wastegate
When the manifold reaches 11psi of boost, the ECU sends a signal to the wastegate VSV, this allows manifold pressure to build in the wastegate actuator which opens the wastegate.

* Exhaust gas bypass valve.
Somewhere around 3500 rpm, the ECU sends a signal to the exhaust gas bypass valve VSV, which allows manifold pressure to build in the exhaust gas bypass valve actuator which opens the bypass valve. This is a small opening inside the #2 turbine housing which allows some exhaust gas to go through the turbine of the #2 turbo which makes it start spinning, and dumps the exhaust gas out the exhaust piping coming off of #1 turbo. Since it is a small amount of exhaust gas, it pre-spools the turbo and does not get it up to full operating speeds. This will smooth out the transition from 1 to 2 turbos. This valve is similar to a wastegate in design, but is located after the turbine wheel instead of in front of the turbine wheel like a wastegate would be. This is not a wastegate!

* Exhaust gas control valve.
This valve is located in the exhaust piping downstream of the #2 turbo. When this valve is closed, all exhaust gas must go through the #1 turbine wheel to get out through the rest of the exhaust system. At around 4000 rpm, the ECU sends a signal to the exhaust gas control valve VSV, which allows manifold pressure to build in the exhaust gas control valve actuator which opens the control valve. This allows exhaust gas to go through #2 turbo and out the exhaust system which brings the #2 turbo up to full operating speed and make full boost.

* Intake air control valve.
This valve is located in the intake tract coming off of #2 turbo. It is closed below 4000 rpm so that boost pressure coming off of #1 turbo cannot backup through the #2 turbo and back out the air cleaner/suction of #1 turbo. There is also a 1 way reed valve within the same housing of the intake air control valve. As the #2 turbo starts to prespin at 3500 rpm, it will build some boost. If it builds enough boost, it will open the 1 way reed valve to allow this boost into the intake tract to join with the discharge boost pressure coming off of #1 turbo. At somewhere over 4000 rpm, the ECU sends a signal to the intake air control valve VSV, which allows manifold pressure to build in the intake air control valve actuator which opens the control valve. This allows the full boost pressure coming off #2 turbo to join in with that coming from #1 turbo and you are now fully on line. Usually, the exhaust gas control valve will open first, which gets the #2 turbo spinning at full rate so that it is building good boost before the intake air control valve opens, allowing this boost to join in with that coming off #1 turbo. If the intake air control valve opens before the exhaust gas control valve, the boost pressure coming off #1 turbo will go backwards through #2 turbo, spinning it backwards if there isn't sufficient exhaust energy to keep it spinning forward. When the exhaust gas control valve opens, and the #2 turbo has to reverse the direction of the spin. This is a tremendous strain on the turbo shaft and bearings. If the sequential operation is not a well orchestrated symphony of motion, it is easy to see how the #2 turbo is the one that always fails.

What does a VSV do?

VSV is short for vacuum switching valve. It is just an electronic solenoid, which either opens or closes 100% when energized. This will allow the VSV to either pass boost pressure through it from the actuators(like the wastegate actuator) or block it off.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.b...ips/turbos.htm

Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
pud
Posting Guru
with a sequential set up, you can put a larger turbo on because the smaller turbo will do all the work down low. Its not like Ford just stuck a smaller turbo infront of the origional one.
What I have against IFS is the fact that it has no place offroad. I dont consider dirt roads and dirt tracks to be "offroad". Have you ever seen a front tire fall off a duramax because the suspension components got ripped from the frame? have you ever seen a crossmember and driveshaft get ripped out from the bottom one because they are so damn low, and the IFS is made for cushy on-highway travel. So when you hit a big bump offroad, on the rebound after hitting the bump, the whole damn truck slams down on the big rock you just hit totally screwing up your undercarriage? Then to top it all off there are Fords and Dodges going though the exact same spots with total ease, wondering why the guy in the chev is getting in their way. I have seen all that, and is the basis for my reasons to dislike GM trucks.

FYI Im looking at a pair of semi axles in the paper with 4.08 gearing, and another rear one with 5.31s. Comparing axle gears in a semi and ones in a truck has no place here anyways, the semis have way more low ranged gears in their transmission to get the load moving.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:48 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
the semi axils and big trucks in general have no point here. that was my point. the gearing in the tranny makes up for any change in rear ends. I would rather have a downshift occur in the tranny, rather than change the whole rearend ratio because I have to downshift 1 gear to make it to the top of a grade. The difference between a 4.88 and a 3.73 is probably the difference between 5 and 4 on the tranny. So you really gain nothing by going to a different rear end ratio unless of course you are running a different tire size.

BTW where are you exactly taking your truck, as I would like to see this. I have not seen CC trucks taken where speak of, and certainly not stock trucks, let alone diesels. I have yet to see anyone hit a bump fast enough off road to break anything, and let alone see a ford do it with ease. I will believe it when I see it. The fastest offroading ever done was my dad hitting a road ditch in the dead of winter at 35 mph after missing a curve, with zero damage done to anything on the truck. By nothing, I mean the fog lights were still working and in the OEM postion, as was the alignment and everything else good. From what I have seen, anything that screws up the front of a GM, will kill the front pumpkin on a SRA, or the drive shaft of any make. Glad the ford and dodge made it with ease. LOL

In the end it is irrelevent, because if you take your truck in that extreme conditions, then you deserve a ford. As most trucks don't make it off road and the lifted trucks are generally all show. So congradulations. But I have never had a problems going at more than a desirable pace on a plowed field. Nor would I want to hit rough conditions or bolders faster than a creap, so if you can do it in your ford, congrats. But the GM is more than enough for 99.9% of all contractors including our excavating bussiness.

BTW I know how the Sequential Turbos work as I have read up on the design. I was trying to explain the difference between twin turbos and the sequential turbos by the previous poster. I was trying to explain that high hp twin turbos are not even close to the same as a sequential turbo system in terms of hp, fuel effiency, or the general air flow.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Semi's have lot's of ratio's. Depends on the engine, transmission, tires, etc. One of the Freightliners I ran had 3.31's and one of our other trucks had 2.93's if I recall. They were geared this way to run low rpm on the highway and save fuel. Mine ran 1400 rpm at 60mph.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:04 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
I know that, I was just pointing out that if you have a variety of gears, you can still save mileage with the small rear ends, but still have the optimal gear for climbing big hills. Who cares that you are running in OD and the next guy is running 4th gear, you can only pull the gear that you have hp enough to turn. My point was that I don't think a 4.88 ratio in OD will pull a hill any faster than a 3.73 in 4th.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
I know that, I was just pointing out that if you have a variety of gears, you can still save mileage with the small rear ends, but still have the optimal gear for climbing big hills. Who cares that you are running in OD and the next guy is running 4th gear, you can only pull the gear that you have hp enough to turn. My point was that I don't think a 4.88 ratio in OD will pull a hill any faster than a 3.73 in 4th.
I put that turbo info up for others to hear it from someone other than you.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 PM
pud
Posting Guru
I build roads oil patch roads, sometimes my machine is past the end of the grade. Sometimes it warms up so much the nice frozen surface turns into deep thick mud, and momentum is the only thing getting you through because the machines are too far away to go back and get. My truck is a diesel because everything in the patch runs on diesel, and finding gasoline 2-10 hours from town is harder than finding a a ****** in a gay bar. Like I said before, I wasnt trying to flame chevies...I was just simply telling the facts as they are from what Ive personally experienced.
I agree with you in the fact that your chev will do fine around town, on gravel roads, and over the occasional bump.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 PM
killaford
Elder User
i think the low clearance is an issue. i rolled a small branch up under the chebby and busted a tranny and trashed the exhaust.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:16 PM
jaybird
Senior User
DURAMAXIMIZER

You think your chevy duramax 373 3/4 ton is the do all truck and that it lacks in no department area and in your mind you keep insisting to us that your 373's are the 1 and only gear that needs to be in a truck because the duramax and 6 speed and IFS will crawl the mountain,out pull a ford 4.88 gear,go mud bogging and off roading and never hesitate or break,oh and the duramax is allready high enough off the ground for what ever obstacles it may incounter..
This is to funny!!!This is why I say your narrow minded!
Your chevy does lack in many department 1 department is that 373 gear,2nd department is that IFS ;its not an off road suspension!!!Its a paved road suspension built with comfort in mind ONLY!
It must be a redneck thing but we we don't run around with a pretty shiny dirt free truck all the time like some we fords like to go play in the dirt and if something break fug it we knew there was a chance it could but probably not..lol
Ford makes trucks for guys that let loose on the weekend by offroading,truck to truck pulling,sled pulling,mud bogging,and trailer hauling heavy **** from time to time..
We ford guys can break some stuff its in our hard workin american blood!!!
In plain old fashion red blooded american hardworking image .

I'll just tell you to go listen to some bruce springstein this weekend while driving your chevy truck down the highway smoking your cigar and getting a a job from some little ***** while during the week your trailer queen sits and you drive a beater ford ...
Hey this weekend and everyweekend some of us Ford truck owners we will be loading our trucks up with some beer,whiskey and women or wife and head off to the river,truck bash,truck pulls and do some fun with our big tire,big lift straight axle 4x4 's while listening to TOBY KEITH singin some hard working hard playin country/american music...

Oh yea I do know that if I wanted the ultimate off roading 4x4 I would buy a 2008 standard cab short box v10 gas engine 4x4 geared to the hilt but ya know I don't give a damn I want it the way I want it and if that means I get stuck while having fun off roading my ford TT diesel dually lifted 8 inches with super swamper bogger 38x11x16's and 4.88 gears so be it I got stuck ..Hello thats the fun of it to just have fun and go further than a chevy IFS can..
I'll have you bring your 373 geared duramax out there and try to pull my big azz out.LOL
Nah actually I'll just winch myself up and over or out and about face!

PS:you said quote"373's are the optimum gear for climbing them big hills"
I guess your hills and 4x4 hills are two different hills.

Last edited by jaybird; 11-10-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: peak hp and peak tq?