Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Which truck will last longer FORD/DODGE/GM

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
OffRoadBandit
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which truck will last longer FORD/DODGE/GM

I just want some input from FTE site. Which truck will last longer. Compare the F250,GM2500,RAM2500. Which of three heavy duty trucks will last longer, wheather it be powertrain, drivetrain etc...... Compare models '99-'01.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:58 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend

Who the heck would know on 7-8 yr old trucks? Depends on who had them, where they've been, what they've done, and who maintained them. I would think the answer to that question would relate more to the individual truck, not the brand.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
OffRoadBandit
Junior User
Well basically yeah, This thread is intended for those who actually have owned them. Maybe i should've stated that. The reason is I actually want to compare my '00 F250 with other heavy duty owners of different makes. Just want to know where my truck stands. Nice post polarbear.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
well, whoever maintained them the best i would say.

and what you mean by last longer? without any major repairs like engine or trannie replacement? is there a money or part limit on what you would classify as not lasting long?

and if there is something that breaks, does operator error count? negligence? or what?

i would say it could be anyone of them that would last longest givin equal circumstances.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by OffRoadBandit
I just want some input from FTE site. Which truck will last longer. Compare the F250,GM2500,RAM2500. Which of three heavy duty trucks will last longer, wheather it be powertrain, drivetrain etc...... Compare models '99-'01.
Driven all three, actually. Chevy company trucks, A Dodge rental when my F150 was in getting body work, and my two fords that I own, and F150 and an F250 Super Duty.

GM: To me, overpriced. Low value for money. And they seem, to me, to be aimed at the "Get me to the mall at any price" crowd rather than at the people that get out and work in the mud. Fit and finish, to me, seems questionable. And with Renault talking about buying them out, would YOU want to drive "Le Truck"?

Dodge: Fit and finish didn't impress me at ALL. Felt like it was made out of air. Tinny. Freind of mine has their top of the line diesel, and while it's a strong runner and strong puller, I wonder what kind of shape it will be in in 5 years. I suspect he'll be driving a frame sitting on a milk crate.

Which leaves me with:

Ford: I own two, a 2003 F150 V6, and a 2006 F250 6.0L Diesel 4x4. Fit and finish is tight, quality is generally good, and in places excellent, and I've put 26000 hard miles on my F250 in a year with no major problems, and only a couple of little things that needed warrentied, and that was done with out a gripe. The F150 has been EXCELLENT, with NO problems other than a glitched stereo (which was warrentied at 650 miles with a smile).

My F250 (which I got because I work in the oilfield and pull a trailer to rig locations) runs like a rocket and pulls like an APE. I can pull a 32ft three slide 5th wheel trailer at 70-75mph with nary a glitch. She just grunts and leans into it.

Bottom line: There are trucks with more TORQUE, and cost less. But dollar for dollar, I'd put my F250 against anything on the road. Ford has the best ALL AROUND package out there. Others have their high points, but, to me, the best ALL AROUND truck, hands down, is the F250

My opinion and a nickle will get you a cup of coffe anywhere in the world. Started this thread in April or so right after I got my F250

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ml#post3655491

This is why I bought a Super Duty

Gunner15a

P.S. Just FYI. I USED to be a dyed in the wool GM fan.

Last edited by Gunner15a; 10-09-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
ChevmaninaFord
Senior User
You posted this in a Ford forum... which do you think they will say?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:53 PM
OSin86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ChevmaninaFord
You posted this in a Ford forum... which do you think they will say?
LMAO, no kidding right

Old 10-09-2006, 06:21 PM
OffRoadBandit
Junior User
The reason I posted here is becuase maybe some past owners traded in a GM/DODGE for a FORD and maybe they had something to say.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 PM
edgl
Elder User
Troll, I agree, why post on a Ford board.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Krochus
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My last truck a 94 model Silverado1500 4x2 extended cab now has over 200K on the original powertrain 350/700r4 as well as front suspension. Everything still works and looks good on the inside and out and it still gets 20mpg on the HWY. Unforutinatly I needed money after my motorcyce crash and had to sell it.

My latest aquisition a 92 F150 Custom 4.9/M5OD has 150K The dash is cracking the plastic trim around the gauges is busted the paint was peeling and the bed is rusting through. I've already had to replace the drag link, Oil pan gasket , and the rearend has a tremdous amout of slack. But the price was right...

Not exactly what you wanted to hear was it

Old 10-09-2006, 08:00 PM
J..D
Senior User
Depends on how you take care of it like said already our 94 Chevy work van had over 300k when we sold it but we changed the oil every 3-4k. Renault is not buying GM they wanted a alliance but GM shot that down last week I think they are looking toward Ford now.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:56 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
i think a dodge with a cummins and a manual tranny is the top dawg still.

otherwise the duramax allison is a very strong second.

the 7.3 is good no doubt, but I question the entire package even more so when chipped.

then 4th is the 6.0 PSD.

5th would be the old 6.5 POS diesel.

I have seen a lot of trucks. My friend has a (03 I think) 7.3 that had to have an oil pan replaced after it rusted out.....not cheap esp after they had to pull the motor. Meanwhile my dads 02 had to have a water pump put in at 76k. ( A 5 hour project, but still under warranty since it is gear driven and considered a powertrain component. Another friend has a cummins 600HO that had to have a new fuel pump put in his.

I really love the 6.0 PSD guys that come to the competition forum with under 50k on the motor and says how bullet proof the motor is and how tight the interior is. Esp when the dodge they compare to is a rental vehicle....( how well are those treateed compared to the one setting in this guys garage.) then he stereotypes the other brand (GM) because they have the highest resale value. BTW the last time I checked, the MSRP on the dodge and ford were higher then GM similarly equipped. LMAO

I think of the average pickup owner towing a trailer 100 miles a week or less on average, probably has a small chip (edge preditor superchip) or running stock, and maybe hooks on to a pulling sled during the life of the truck. The rest is used to haul something in the bed or for prestige. The truck probably gets stuck 1 a year or less on average.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
Originally Posted by duramaximizer
i think a dodge with a cummins and a manual tranny is the top dawg still.

otherwise the duramax allison is a very strong second.

the 7.3 is good no doubt, but I question the entire package even more so when chipped.

then 4th is the 6.0 PSD.

5th would be the old 6.5 POS diesel.

I have seen a lot of trucks. My friend has a (03 I think) 7.3 that had to have an oil pan replaced after it rusted out.....not cheap esp after they had to pull the motor. Meanwhile my dads 02 had to have a water pump put in at 76k. ( A 5 hour project, but still under warranty since it is gear driven and considered a powertrain component. Another friend has a cummins 600HO that had to have a new fuel pump put in his.

I really love the 6.0 PSD guys that come to the competition forum with under 50k on the motor and says how bullet proof the motor is and how tight the interior is. Esp when the dodge they compare to is a rental vehicle....( how well are those treateed compared to the one setting in this guys garage.) then he stereotypes the other brand (GM) because they have the highest resale value. BTW the last time I checked, the MSRP on the dodge and ford were higher then GM similarly equipped. LMAO

I think of the average pickup owner towing a trailer 100 miles a week or less on average, probably has a small chip (edge preditor superchip) or running stock, and maybe hooks on to a pulling sled during the life of the truck. The rest is used to haul something in the bed or for prestige. The truck probably gets stuck 1 a year or less on average.
Didn't say a word about which one could pull more. I am more interested in which one will be around in 5 or 6 years. Bet it ain't a Dodge or a Chevy....As a matter of fact, I bet over 38K on that............

Gunner15a

Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
OffRoadBandit
Junior User
Good response Gunner15a. The answer relates to which one will be around in 5 -6 years.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
bf250
Post Fiend
i think all 3 would be around in 5-6 years. there is nothing wrong with any of them.

Quick Reply: Which truck will last longer FORD/DODGE/GM