1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

BIG PROBLEM with 2000 Expedition 5.4L AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:37 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BIG PROBLEM with 2000 Expedition 5.4L AWD

I was waiting on Red Light. When light turned Green I pressed on the Accelerator but instead of going anywhere it felt like SOMEONE JUST HIT ME FROM THE BACK. I walked out of the car nothing in the back, got back in put it on drive and car is not going anywhere it just jerks like you would have EMERGENCY PARKING ON and try to drive at the same time. Only way to drive it is in REVERSE ... I had it towed to nearest DEALERSHIP ... I noticed when I was driving BACKWARDS to the closest Parking Lot there was Loud Noise coming from BACK END. Also when I try to drive forward it doesn't go no where just JERKS and car turns 4x4 automaticly. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM ... before I go back to Dealership tomorrow.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
I really hate to think of the possiblities. Please let us know what you find.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:51 AM
EagleDakota
Senior User
It may be that you emergency brake shoes stuck. I had a similar problem. All the adjusters were frozen and it was a real bear cat trying to get the rear rotor off! Again let us know what it is all about.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 AM
scarface78
Junior User
I will let you guys know. I don't think its Emergency Brake. I think it might be BACK END DIFFERENTIAL since there is loud CRACKING noise coming out of the back when you drive BACKWARDS. I just hope we not talking about Thousands to fix it? Anyway ... I am telling you guys ... I bought this car BRAND NEW in 2000 and I had nothing but problems with it.
Front Differential Replaced Twice, Transfer Case Replaced, DriveShaft Replaced, Radiator Replaced, Air Compressor Replaced Twice, Bottom Engine Gasket Replaced, 8th SparkPlug and Injector Replaced, and car have only 67,000 Miles never been used for Towing or abused normal mostly highway Miles. After this I will have enough FORD for a while. Next car going with Japanese

Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 AM
eric james
Senior User
Looks like another bad transfer case to me.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:35 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Just got of the phone with the dealer. It was BACK END DIFFERENTIAL. Question for you guys ... how much I am looking at to replace it for the new one at the DealerShip since they are getting prices for me on New ones and Rebuild ones. Also which one would it be better if I still want to keep the Truck for longer time, New one or Rebuild one? Welcome any opinions.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
Since the rear differental was replaced before (assuming it was replaced under the original warranty) you might consider contacting Ford (good luck) with your problem and they MIGHT do you a good deal on it. You can also consider going through the Better Business Bureau. They seem to help when dealing with Ford on repeat repairs.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by Freak4Ford
Since the rear differental was replaced before (assuming it was replaced under the original warranty) you might consider contacting Ford (good luck) with your problem and they MIGHT do you a good deal on it. You can also consider going through the Better Business Bureau. They seem to help when dealing with Ford on repeat repairs.
Front Differential was Replaced Twice not REAR ONE. Rear one was never replaced so I think I am stuck eating all charges. That's is why I want to know how much aprox. I am looking at?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Omahastro1
Senior User
It seems that the rear ends used in these Exp. have a problem. Why don't people go with a detroit, or some other brand. There have to shops in almost every town that could put in a different differential than the stock unit.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:35 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
I really don't get how you can have that many major components be replaced. It just defies logic. I have the exact same vehicle, same mileage, same useage and do most of the maintenance myself, with exception of really huge repairs which I'll have Ford do, but that has only been one thing (the right rear axle seal - which is a common replacement, apparently.) Otherwise, I have just tried to stay ahead of the problems by changing fluids a bit more frequently than factory recommendations. For example, I have changed the diff fluids three times each now, especially that rear diff because the clutch packs chatter. And I've changed the t-case fluid three times because it just takes too much stress and wear to replace once or twice in a lifetime. I replace the battery every three years whether it needs it or not; I just chase stuff down early and do it myself cause I can't afford to have my family stranded and I can't afford to pay Ford to do everything. But to have all of the stuff replaced that you are talking about is just incredible. Somebody else must be beating up that truck when you are not using it; either that or your truck falls under the 'lemon law' kind of vehicle, which is something you might want to look at. Let us know about the repair.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 AM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by vze2sgxa
I really don't get how you can have that many major components be replaced. It just defies logic. I have the exact same vehicle, same mileage, same useage and do most of the maintenance myself, with exception of really huge repairs which I'll have Ford do, but that has only been one thing (the right rear axle seal - which is a common replacement, apparently.) Otherwise, I have just tried to stay ahead of the problems by changing fluids a bit more frequently than factory recommendations. For example, I have changed the diff fluids three times each now, especially that rear diff because the clutch packs chatter. And I've changed the t-case fluid three times because it just takes too much stress and wear to replace once or twice in a lifetime. I replace the battery every three years whether it needs it or not; I just chase stuff down early and do it myself cause I can't afford to have my family stranded and I can't afford to pay Ford to do everything. But to have all of the stuff replaced that you are talking about is just incredible. Somebody else must be beating up that truck when you are not using it; either that or your truck falls under the 'lemon law' kind of vehicle, which is something you might want to look at. Let us know about the repair.
I do all Service ahead of time also ... like I said I never used this car for towing ... also NO ONE ELSE uses this truck but me ... so i can't blame anyone. Also like I said I never Abused the truck just normal driving. As for LEMON LAW I think now is just little bit to late for that. I guess I am stuck with piece of junk. I got quote from the dealer. It will be $2000 but since I've been "GOOD CUSTOMER" dealer will take care of 20% so I will pay $1600. It just sucks that vehicle which costed me $43000 would have so many problems. Like i said earlier I will stay away from FORD for a while now.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
eric james
Senior User
Originally Posted by scarface78
I do all Service ahead of time also ... like I said I never used this car for towing ... also NO ONE ELSE uses this truck but me ... so i can't blame anyone. Also like I said I never Abused the truck just normal driving. As for LEMON LAW I think now is just little bit to late for that. I guess I am stuck with piece of junk. I got quote from the dealer. It will be $2000 but since I've been "GOOD CUSTOMER" dealer will take care of 20% so I will pay $1600. It just sucks that vehicle which costed me $43000 would have so many problems. Like i said earlier I will stay away from FORD for a while now.
I don't know where you live but $1600 for a single axle rebuild is a complete hose.

Get out the yellow pages and look for axle shops or 4x4 custom shops. Should be more like $800 max.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:02 AM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by eric james
I don't know where you live but $1600 for a single axle rebuild is a complete hose.

Get out the yellow pages and look for axle shops or 4x4 custom shops. Should be more like $800 max.
Its for WHOLE REAR DIFFERENTIAL NEW so its still not that bad.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 AM
01silvergt
Senior User
Originally Posted by scarface78
Its for WHOLE REAR DIFFERENTIAL NEW so its still not that bad.
Ask them if they can get Ford to cover an additional 20% since you have had so many drive line problems with the vehicle. They might. If the dealer says no, ask to speak with the Ford person yourself. keep pushing till you get a price you want or are willing to pay.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 PM
scarface78
Junior User
Originally Posted by 01silvergt
Ask them if they can get Ford to cover an additional 20% since you have had so many drive line problems with the vehicle. They might. If the dealer says no, ask to speak with the Ford person yourself. keep pushing till you get a price you want or are willing to pay.
This is the price already after CALLING FORD CUSTOMER SERVCE. Actually Ford couldn't do nothing since my warranty expired 1 year and 2 months ago. They said if it would be around 6 months ago they would COVER 50% of it, but they did call DEALERSHIP and Dealer agreed to take of 20%.

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM with 2000 Expedition 5.4L AWD