Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Bob, Tim. . .couple body resto questions. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob, Tim. . .couple body resto questions. . .

We talked a bit about my trucks cab, and I'm curious if you guys have any advice on where to begin even considering repairing the poor thing. Getting kinda tired of just looking at the stupid thing, lol. The roof isn't nearly as bad as I originally thought. . .looks like floors, corners, and various rusty seams need to be separated and cleaned/prepped. Lotta work and time though. . .Anything to help keep'er square and solid, and from rusting too bad too quick down the road. . .tools, products (you mentioned a few but I forgot, go figure), techniques?

I guess the first thing i need to do is build a dolly to roll this thing around on and clean out the garage so I'm not working outside

Old 10-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Rocket Racing
Senior User
Start from the top, or the hardest spot technically to repair & go from there. That way, you have the motivation to get the hard stuff done. I agree that you need to work on it inside, unless you hurry up & get it done in the next couple of weeks !
Lemme know & I will come by and check out what you have.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Well, I'm getting the gate trimmed up here this week. Gotta knock off 2"-4" to clear the driveway, and I have some pavers lined up to build a little ramp to the ground. Hopefully this weekend I can get some lumber togeter and make a nice roll around cab dolly. You know where I can find some off-road wheel casters? I can find the hard plastic ones anywhere, but the pnuematic tire jobbers are no where to be found

Crap, I guess the hardest part is going to be the back-inside areas on each side of the cab Those will be fun lol. . .what was that jelly stuff you mentioned for rust control?

Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 AM
bob hare
Senior User
Hey Steve,

I still have my cab dolly that I built. It is approx 4' x 4' , built from 2X4's, and has swivel casters. The casters aren't off road capable, but roll pretty well in the garage. It's yours for the asking.
Doing any major body work is kinda like eating a 50 lb burger. You gotta split up the problem areas into managable tasks, and GET STARTED. I used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator on some of the areas that I couldn't strip down to bare metal.

Bob

Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 AM
bob hare
Senior User
Oh yea,

Those pnuematic casters are available at Northern Tool, and mabye at Harbor Freight.
I used Ospho on all of the bare metal surfaces prior to painting.

Bob

Old 10-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
I do appreciate the offer for the cab dolly, but I'm going to be making a larger one (6' x 5') so it can double as a bed dolly when I get to that point I went to NT online and they have nice 8" jobbers for cheap

I really appreciate yalls help with me on this, I really do!

Next big question, where to get appropriate gage sheet metal? I plan on purchasing large patch panels to take care of most of it, but there are a few areas that can will have to be shapped by hand. . .Most of the stuff I have seen at taylors is too thin, haven't been to HD or Lowes yet. . .

Old 10-12-2006, 06:12 AM
bob hare
Senior User
Try BMG Metals in Chesapeake, I think that is where I bought my sheet metal many many years ago. Also, just look in the phone book & call them.

Bob

Old 10-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
HazzA!!! Gates "Done" (Works fine, but I couldn't get all of the warpage out of them). . .The masonry transition is done (I'm sore, to much work lol). . .shoot, I even had a chance to finish my cab dolly Turned out to be 6.5' x 4' made with 2 x 4's and 1/2" plywood sheathing set in Gorilla Glue and nailed down. Just need to air up the tires and drop that cab on there and I'm "ready to roll". . .get it? Cab dolly, tires. . .ready-to-roll? I crack me up

Just needed some inspiration and motivation, and I thank y'all

Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Rocket Racing
Senior User
GET YOUR LAZY A$$ IN GEAR AND GET ER DONE

How's that for motivation !

Old 10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Yessir! Don't hurt me. . .