6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Innovative - SCT X2 - Economy ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:42 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Innovative - SCT X2 - Economy ??'s

I'm new to the Diesel Performance world. But, between this board and a close friend, I am sold on the SCT XCalibrator coming through Innovative Diesel. In fact, I'll be picking up one before Thanksgiving just to see the difference on a long trip.

The truck does a good job towing our 27' World Cat fully loaded (~9000 lbs) up and down the east coast. I can't wait to see how much better this gets with a towing tune. I don't need to set the tires on fire with horsepower. But my question is around the Economy tune Innovative is doing. What are others seeing in terms of mileage, and how much better over stock?

Also, are there any dyno sheets (HP / Torque curves) around the Innovative tunes?

2004 Excursion 4x4 Limited, Magnaflow 4" Turbo-back (Kitty ran off...), AFE Mega System

Thanks for the info and a great board on the 6.0!

Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Arrow Contact Them . . .

You can drop SCT CS an e-mail and they will give you the added HP/TQ with each tune you get. www.sctflash.com You can alo get them from www.Dynojoe.com (in Houston) $379 and his tunes are pretty tight too.

Also some of the local tuners have dynos that they test their tunes on for improving the stock tunes they start with.

Surprisingly the Performance tune gets the best milage if you don't put your foot into it too much. However you shouldn't use it for towing as that tune increases the TQ for the hualling.

Have fun with it.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
I'm new to the Diesel Performance world. But, between this board and a close friend, I am sold on the SCT XCalibrator coming through Innovative Diesel. In fact, I'll be picking up one before Thanksgiving just to see the difference on a long trip.

The truck does a good job towing our 27' World Cat fully loaded (~9000 lbs) up and down the east coast. I can't wait to see how much better this gets with a towing tune. I don't need to set the tires on fire with horsepower. But my question is around the Economy tune Innovative is doing. What are others seeing in terms of mileage, and how much better over stock?

Also, are there any dyno sheets (HP / Torque curves) around the Innovative tunes?

2004 Excursion 4x4 Limited, Magnaflow 4" Turbo-back (Kitty ran off...), AFE Mega System

Thanks for the info and a great board on the 6.0!
I got a buddy with an 05 6.0 who just got a stock tune from DPTuner and likes it alot. He was also happy with the stock output of the 6.0 and was just looking for a little more mpg. He's been calling me everyday for 2 weeks now about how happy he is (long distance).

Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
Surprisingly the Performance tune gets the best milage if you don't put your foot into it too much. However you shouldn't use it for towing as that tune increases the TQ for the hualling.
That may work out even better. The wife drives it like she's in a funeral procession. Whereas I like to get there TODAY! But she puts 3 times more miles on it than I do. But at the rate we're going through Diesel I expect to get a Christmas Card from OPEC this year. Not looking for huge gains, but 2-3 more mpg sure would be nice.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Should see it . . .

The more recent cutom tunes added some new features. You can turn off the EGR in all tunes and they added an exhaust brake in the tow tune.

These tunes have increased my mileage by 2 to 3 MPG so far. Only driven it a few hundred miles so we'll see the impoact at 1,000+ or so. Need to stay on the south side of 2,100 rpm's to get it though . . .

Old 10-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Welcome to FTE fishintheobx
Read First: https://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html

Fuel mileage depends on pedal to floor angle......

Old 10-06-2006, 09:05 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lonewolftx
Need to stay on the south side of 2,100 rpm's to get it though . . .
Very nice! My Cummins is the same way. Cross that 2k RPM line and the mileage goes in the can!

I'm going to call the boys at Innovative and see what we can put together. It should be an interesting conversation since I grew up in the small town where they are based!

Old 10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
t_b
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
fish - I ordered my SCT from Innovative with the following tunes: economy, tow aggressive, and street performance. I did a 700 mile drive one way in economy, and the return trip in street performance. The street performance tune achieved better mileage. I immediately called Innovative and had them send me their "extreme street" tune to replace the economy file. Aye carumba!

If you don't want to mess with an extreme file, a transmission only tune with the EGR valve turned off would be a nice file to have.

Their tow file is awesome, by the way. It works exceptionally well in conjunction with the tranny in tow/haul mode.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Jocaren
Elder User
Stupid question but.....can the sct be reset to stock and dealer not know that it was ever tuned? i really want to get one but afraid of warrenty

Old 10-06-2006, 10:47 PM
2005X
Senior User
yes...reset to stock

Originally Posted by Jocaren
Stupid question but.....can the sct be reset to stock and dealer not know that it was ever tuned? i really want to get one but afraid of warrenty
I have the Xcal2 SF - direct from SCT, no custom tunes. But the reprogramming steps should be similar. Going back to stock is a simple procedure, in fact if wanting to change from Economy to Tow modes, you must go back to stock in between I've found. I assume the custom files are similar, but not sure.

Unfortunately I got to test this recently when I blew an injector and my X died on the hiway towing our boat. Had the whole rig towed to my house and once I figured it was nothing simple I programmed back to Stock setting before towing to dealer. No problems. I have read on here, to be safe, unhook the batts for a while after the flash to stock to clear any possible memory of the reprogram.

Now I'm wondering if the tune help kill the injector, but I think it was the O-ring fluke. I never run in performance mode by the way, only tow or econo. Dont have the exaust modded yet to use Performance...

Old 10-06-2006, 11:45 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know rather it's because I have a dually 4x4 or what, but I don't see how y'all can keep your trucks to the left of the 2 rpm mark, when order for me to do that I have to be doing 50-55 and thats on both surface roads and highway. I have to tell y'all, I have places to go and I can't be doin that slow unless I'm pullin a good bit(mainly it would have to be the horses, I don't care if the trees get scared about my haulin them 70-75 miles down the road). Even with the little things that people up here call hills, if I go 50-55, that truck won't be goin anywhere anytime soon. I don't see how y'all are stayin to the left and be goin 60-65 unless y'all are just single axle and not 4x4.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:53 AM
EPDP99
Elder User
the more powerful tunes usually yield higher mpg if you can keep your foot out of it than economy tune. Because it takes less fuel to get the truck up to speed with the added power. Eric and Ted are great at Innovative Diesel. Im shopping around and they are great for asking questions.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 AM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Originally Posted by tex25025
I don't know rather it's because I have a dually 4x4 or what, but I don't see how y'all can keep your trucks to the left of the 2 rpm mark, when order for me to do that I have to be doing 50-55 and thats on both surface roads and highway. I have to tell y'all, I have places to go and I can't be doin that slow unless I'm pullin a good bit(mainly it would have to be the horses, I don't care if the trees get scared about my haulin them 70-75 miles down the road). Even with the little things that people up here call hills, if I go 50-55, that truck won't be goin anywhere anytime soon. I don't see how y'all are stayin to the left and be goin 60-65 unless y'all are just single axle and not 4x4.

You do not have 3:73 gears.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Lightbulb Check your gears . . .

I was going to say the same thing, not using 3.73 gears . . .