1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

(More) '65 F-100 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2000, 01:26 PM
Brett Wanner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a new member to this site, and have been through alot of the older postings, and some of these questions are pretty redundant, but before I jump in to this project, I want to be prepared. I recently bought a '65 F-100 2wd short box stepside Custom Cab with a 352 and 3 spd overdrive. I want to convert to power disc brakes and understand that any year front end up til '79 will work, but will the power booster and fire wall brackets from any year work also? How about the tie rod ends and drag links? I plan to lift the front end with heavier coils off a '75 F-350 and double shock the front end as well as add the sway bar from the same F-350. I know that AutoFab (www.autofab.com) makes an adjustable drag link for alignment ease, FYI, as well as other trick but expensive parts for these trucks. To convert to power steering, all I will need to do is swap out the steering box, mount and plumb the pump, and convert to a PS column, correct? Will the steering column from any 3spd truck up til '79 work? Down the road, I would also like to convert to C6 auto trans. What years can I pirate the crossmember, driveshaft, and brake pedal set up from? Also, if I swap in the 9" rear end from a late '70's F-150 to get the stronger housing, better axle bearings, and 31 spline axles, does anyone know if the width difference will cause interference problems with the fenders on the step side bed? When I'm done, I hope to have a fun little daily driver/weekend warrior with a 428 (already got it), automatic, power steering, disc brakes, and a 2"-3" suspension lift riding on 33" tires (9.50" front, 12.50" rear). FYI, the front fenders off of a '61-'66 F-350 or any 4wd have a larger wheel opening to clear the larger tires. You guys seem pretty knowlegable about these old Fords and what it takes to upgrade them, so I'm sure that you'll be able to set me straight. Thanks. Brett

Old 05-03-2000, 03:50 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

Brett, you have a lot of questions. You indicated to me anyway that you might be planning some of these up grades at different times.

I highly recommend buying a donor truck, keeping it until you have gotten all the upgrades done. Does your engine have the ps. pump already? If not I would suggest buying a truck with a 360 & a C6 tranny. If the 360 is any good you can sell it to offset the cost of your donor. The brake booster will will bolt up but the hole for the pedal needs to be moved about 1 1/8 in. There is a Tech article in that section on converting parts for disk brakes. It is my opinion that the whole I-beam if in good condition is an easier swap.

I would stop change the engine and tranny and add all the diddys at the same time. That way your truck will only be down just once.

If you have more questions just post them.

John
jowilker

66 F100s
In the still cool hours of the night, you can hear chevys rusting away.

Old 05-20-2000, 07:06 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic

One of your questions was about fenderwell clearance. If you use later model axles it is going to increase your rear track width by about 4". In order to alleviate fender clearance problems and you're not going to know until you get the new axle under it and put your current wheels on. On my setup I ordered a set of wheels with a 5" backspace on them to move the wheels farther under the truck to avoid the fender clearance problems you mention. However if it's going to be a hotrod and not loaded you probably won't have anything to worry about.

Trail Rider

Old 05-21-2000, 03:00 PM
3179crew
Freshman User