6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Still the best vehicle I've ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 AM
rblomquist
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still the best vehicle I've ever owned

Just was thinking about my truck and how good it's been despite all the negativity that has surrounded the 6.0 platform all these years. I understand some of it (such as the 1st year injector deal) but a lot of it I believe is completely unjustified.

Some things I've done, and more importantly not done over the years that I believe have contributed to a very positive ownership experience:

- Never modded the engine or transmission. I feel this is the biggest issue that caused a mass crap-storm over this engine. If you want to say the 6.0 is no good for hot-rodding, I'm totally with you. My problem is that many folks are/were dishonest about what they did to their trucks while simultaneously crucifying FoMoCo out in public. This is the biggest difference I've seen between the average Ford owner and the average Dodge owner. The Dodge guys, by in large, 'own' the stuff they do i.e. "I am my own warranty station" is a very prevalent mantra/signature block over in those parts.

- Never let a dealer 'flash' my truck. Matter of fact I had a lock custom machined that's still over the connector to this day. My rig gets the same mileage and has the same power as it did the day I bought it!

- Fuel additive. I can count on one hand the # of tanks of fuel I've run through my rig that didn't have additive in it.

If you're a guy that truly had a 'lemon' 6.0, then I'm sympathetic to your situation, I'd probably be ticked off as well. It's just that my experience has been outstanding and it seems like the vast majority of guys I talk to at the diesel pump or in campgrounds relay the same experience.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Do you know what your oil temp is compared with your coolant temperature? In other words, do you have a Scan Gauge (or equivalent to see PIDS?)
How many miles do you have on that great running truck!!

Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM
PattonC222
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to read good experiences with all the bad ones around.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I like your Special lock deal so they cant reflash it never heard of that

I know a few folks had that happen and lost mpg not happey campers

If possible could you post a pic of that custom lock thanks
if not no biggie and dont sweat it

Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
X2 on posting the lock. My truck still sees the dealer for random non-engine things, and I'd hate to lose my flashes if someone decided to "upgrade" me without asking. Especially with the PCM rollback kicking out a much older version code.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM
ol-blu
Senior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
I like your Special lock deal so they cant reflash it never heard of that

I know a few folks had that happen and lost mpg not happey campers

If possible could you post a pic of that custom lock thanks
if not no biggie and dont sweat it
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
X2 on posting the lock. My truck still sees the dealer for random non-engine things, and I'd hate to lose my flashes if someone decided to "upgrade" me without asking. Especially with the PCM rollback kicking out a much older version code.

I think you started a *****storm over this lock!!!!!!! As I would love to have one as well!!!!!!!!!!!! Would make a world of difference, as (I dont think) mine has been flashed without my knowing, I am the second owner and as per the CarFax it does not show any dealership repairs, only bodywork.... I unfortunately got stuck with the repairs lol!, But now the truck is running as it should and will STAY running for a long time!!!

Seriousely, we need pics of the lock LOL!!!!!!!

texastech are you saying that the only rollback available is a very old strategy, and you cannot choose which one you want???

Old 08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
PattonC222
Senior User
Question for the guru's.

My truck was given the most recent flash and yes my mileage is terrible right now. Going to get the atlas 40 tune on my ficm, is the atlas 40 basically a reflash or do I need to do more to achieve optimum mileage without a tuner?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ol-blu
texastech are you saying that the only rollback available is a very old strategy, and you cannot choose which one you want???
My truck had the Ford VXCF09xx strategy, so I bought the recommended PCM rollback that PHP sells with their FICM tunes. I can't remember what it shows up as now, but it's an older stock file that Bill modified. It's not like you're getting an original PCM flash that Ford actually used, it's basically a PCM tune file just like an SCT would upload, but it doesn't have power upgrades, just some other changes.

You can't say "I want to go back to VXAP1xx", you get whatever he bases his rollback off of, so I guess it's true that you can't choose, but I don't think he's just dumping in an old file.

Originally Posted by PattonC222
My truck was given the most recent flash and yes my mileage is terrible right now. Going to get the atlas 40 tune on my ficm, is the atlas 40 basically a reflash or do I need to do more to achieve optimum mileage without a tuner?
It's a FICM flash; if your current strategy is on the PHP list then add a PCM rollback with it is the recommendation. FWIW my mileage didn't change after the FICM tune and rollback, but the truck starts better and the throttle tip in is better.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:07 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Way back in early '08 I had the ICP go on my truck while out of town. Since the truck was still under warranty I took it (limped) to the local Ford Dealership and handed the man $100. That afternoon, the truck has a new ICP and I'm on my way. I tell this little story because the tech felt that I needed the latest & greatest reflash at the time. I did not discover this little gem until a couple of years later.

Other than the price of the fuel it burns, I still enjoy driving my truck and should be the last truck I'll ever own.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM
loubell
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to the OPs suggestions, I would like to add that long ago I installed both an oil and coolant bypass filters on mine.

I have also installed an older welded EGR valve into the intake manifold and have a new valve plugged in and ziptied on top of the motor to make the PCM somewhat happy (CEL cycles about every 2 weeks).

Been changing T5 every 7,500mi with excellent startup/driveability results and UOA. Ford or Racor filters only, period

Running current flash with no changes in fuel economy from when I bought the truck in '05 when it still had the original programming.

Funny thing about costs- My wifes 98 Tahoe with only slightly higher milage costs us at least $500 a year in repairs. My SuperDuty only fuel, oil, filters, and tires.

Like the OP, I feel for the people with problems and/or chronic issues. Maybe because I live in the montains and the truck gets "worked" just going to the store that I have no problems. But whatever the reason, its been a GREAT truck for the last 7 years.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:01 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Knock on wood, trucks been good to me as well. I have the newest flash, with no loss of mpg's, power, etc.