6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Would you get a 6.4 or 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM
superdutyranger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 05 f 350 6.0-41,000 miles NOT ONE single problem so far (knock on wood)

Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
zontral
Junior User
Originally Posted by 006f350diesel
yup.

i constantly go to truck pulls in my area and i have never seen any diesel truck except the duramaxes fall flat on there faces once they start to get bogged down a bit. i know alot of people that have them and lots of them have burnt out fuel pumps before 100000 kilometers or head problems from they guys who work theirs for a living. let alone that fact that the truck that it is stuffed in is pretty much a halfton with a diesel put in it
My uncle has a LB7 with a 6 speed manual, and he works it super hard every single day and hasn't had one problem. It pulls like a dream to. We've loaded it up way past what it's recomended to pull and it still goes with no trouble. He has 120k miles on it now and it's never had an easy day. Never gets turbo cool down after long pulls and its still going strong.

I don't think it's the best engine out there, but there is tons of people with d max's who don't have any trouble and pull heavy loads......

I think this new 6.4 powerstroke will be awesome and I just pray that it won't have any problems like the 6.0.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:50 PM
006f350diesel
Senior User
Originally Posted by zontral
My uncle has a LB7 with a 6 speed manual, and he works it super hard every single day and hasn't had one problem. It pulls like a dream to. We've loaded it up way past what it's recomended to pull and it still goes with no trouble. He has 120k miles on it now and it's never had an easy day. Never gets turbo cool down after long pulls and its still going strong.

I don't think it's the best engine out there, but there is tons of people with d max's who don't have any trouble and pull heavy loads......

I think this new 6.4 powerstroke will be awesome and I just pray that it won't have any problems like the 6.0.
and im sure there are plenty of early 6.0 owners who can say the same. the only point im trying to get at is they ALL have there problems. its just who gets a good one and who gets a bad one.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
zontral
Junior User
You are right, I was going to say the same thing. None of the diesel engines are perfect. there are tons of 6.0 owners who are happy. But on forums we mostly see the people who have problems

Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 PM
eb2006
Junior User
Good question...my 06 6.0 has been absolutely flawless therefore I have no complaints at all with it. If I were to buy an 08 and had the option....6.0 and this is why - manufacturers always seem to rush new products out to "keep up with the Jones’" and in my opinion they do not have all of the engineering details figured out. I personally try to stay away from rev1 of anything for that very reason. Granted, you would think that Ford would try very hard to avoid the issues that they had with the 6.0 rev1 but they still need to keep up with what Dodge and GM are doing or market share will suffer. I can't help but think that their mode of operation is: 1. Keep new products coming that are as good or better than the other guy 2. Make sure they work...IMO

Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
6.4 Is what I would choose.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:56 PM
killaford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Percys Armory
6.4 Is what I would choose.

meh, me no Guinea pig.

Last edited by kw5413; 10-14-2006 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Font sizing
Old 10-14-2006, 04:26 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
6.4 for me but still rather have 6.9 or 7.3.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by killaford
meh, me no Guinea pig.

I don't mind

Old 10-14-2006, 06:03 PM
jmcholden
Senior User
Crap!!!!!!!!
The more I read the more confused I get. Ford is in the process of buying back my 03 and I will have to make a decision on an 07 or 08. Either way I think is a crap shoot.Buy a 07 and hope all the buggs have been worked out ,Or take a chance on a 6.4L with a bunch of emissions junk on it that will probably negate the increased HP and torque anyway. For us hear in California they will probably make us smog them soon! I'm soooooooooooooooo confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was decided on the 07 till I read this thread.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing....

Old 10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't touch the new 6.4 with a 40ft pole if they paid me to test it. The problems with the 6.0 had mostly to do with the fact it was forced down thier throat by EPA and they had to get it out before they were ready for it to hit the public. Well the 6.4 is even worse, the reason they aren't out yet and neither are the other companies out on hte market is because none of them can make them live long enough to get to the first oil changes and so they managed to get EPA to push the mandatory release date back to Jan 07. Well I got news for ya it's still not going to be right and it's going to have problems that make the 6.0 seem like one of the most dependable engines to ever hit the market, I guess the good thing is the bad rep the 6.0 has will finally fall into the background and will be remembered as a darn good engine.

Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Well the 6.4 is even worse
I think your going to be disappointed. No more high pressure pump with the Piezo injectors, an already solid bottom end with the bed plate design. Technicians already familiar with 99 percent of the engine. Just my opinion though

Old 10-15-2006, 08:17 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
maxium, I really don't think I am wrong. the 6.0 was actually always a solid base engine. You really don't hear about a lot of problems with the engine itself do you? No you hear about external things like oil leaks, and electronics problems. Well in my real world job I actually talk to people in the automotive industry (I haul parts for OEM manufactorers) plus I have done a lot of researching on it and non, and I mean NON of the diesel engine companies are having luck making these new emissions engines work or live from what I am hearing. And the technicians may be 99 percent familar with the engine, but thats a real misinformation deal, heck I have been out of the mechanic field for the past 12 years as a proffesional yet I could say I am familar with 99 percent of this engine, I mean lets get real the basic engine is a design that hasn't changed in years, but what they aren't familar with is the emissions on it expecially since no one really knows exactly whats going to be on it yet including Ford.
Next I haul parts to a plant that will be making these particulate filters for chev, international and Ford (so I understand) well so far Ford has sent them several prototypes (same with chev and international) and as of yet haven't started asking for any to be built for production (this was as of last thursday) Ok with that in mind and the new required release date is Jan 2 which is less than 3 months away and they are still playing with designs? That doesn't sound to me like they are going to get very much final testing done of the final design if they as of now haven't actually settled on what it is going to be or how it's going to work.
Also on the Piezo injector system, something else I have recently read is that these engines with that type of system are going to be incompatable with Bio diesel and rumor has it that they are going to take away the B5 allowance that they say the current engines can run (we all know that many run it even higher precentages without problems) and the claim is these engines can't run any bio in them. Like I said though thats just rumor. Another rumor I have recently heard was that in testing the new duramax (once again rumor and I know it's not ford but it's something to take into consideration) the fuel economy has been running in the single digits unloaded, well if thats the case on these new emissions engines I don't believe I am going to be even the slightest bit interested in paying the premium for the diesel and paying more for the fuel and much more for the maintance and get even less fuel economy than a V10 or other big block gas motor gets, do you?
The thing to remember is the motors maybe put out by the respective companies but the emissions have been mandated by EPA so they are all going to have the same problems, and all are having trouble making it work as of yet, so I am not slamming Ford or anyone else at this point I just think this has been pushed and when the goverment refuses to push the release dates back they are going to be put out on the road without having the issues ironed out because Ford and Chev inparticular can't afford to pay the penalties for not putting them out.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:02 PM
truckguy300
Junior User
Lot of claims.