Why buy a 6.4? Chipped 6.0 is better! - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Why buy a 6.4? Chipped 6.0 is better!

Old 11-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Postmaster

mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralC.
Personally, I think that chipping an enigine is stupid. Don't you think if Ford could plug in a computer and make more horsepower and torque in a matter of minutes, they would do it. Don't say they wouldn't either. They sell their trucks based on horsepower and torque. Smoewhere or another deep in that engine there is going to be some damage done caused by plugging in a chip. Ford engineers their trucks to meet laws and regulations while still getting the most power out of a truck they can without causing any reliability problems. That's just my opinion.
Well I guess you have never been to IH's website then. They offer the VT 365 (6.0l powerstroke in several configurations, 2 of which have more torque than in Ford Trim)
Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Post Fiend

bf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to behold
who cares what makes what, people don't really buy a new truck just because of more power, they buy it because of the whole package the truck provides.

if power was the only reason, then everyone would just buy an old truck and drop a hopped up 460 in it and blow any diesel, v10 or whatever away.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Postmaster

mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.mrxlh has a good reputation on FTE.
If you don't think that I would not jump at the chance to have a truck in stock trim that makes 620 Ft. LBS. of torque at 1400 rpm and give up 95 hp you are driving this truck, and entering this discussion for all the wrong reasons. HP and Torque is the sex appeal the manufacturers are trying to win us over with. If not why are everybodies numbers jumping up in 08? Let me throw this by you, as far as your "whole package" theory goes, how bad would Dodge lose market share if they dropped the Cummins in place of another motor? My guess just about all of it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Post Fiend

bf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to behold
exactly my point, why doesn't dodge have the lead on market share with their cummins? its because the rest of the truck has pretty much been deamed junk in the eyes of alot of people.

the best selling autos are not usually the ones with the most power, as i sort of said before, a person could just rebuild an old truck and have way more power than any new truck would ever offer, but i don't see to many people doing it.

if ford stuck that new 6.4 in a 1989 dodge, how many people you think would buy it?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:33 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
I read a lot of folks on this site bashing the Dodges, heck I'm even doing it occasionally, but I have several friends with the later model ones that just aren't rattling apart like you'd expect from readings on this site. I know years ago ('90s and earlier) they litterally rattled apart (I and a co-worker both had Dodges that were falling apart and were less than 2 years old), but do you guys see this in the later ones these days?

I'm not touting the brand, just asking the Q -- it's kind of like the bad reputation the 6.0 has gotten from it's early problems, yet the later 6.0s are fine. I wonder if the Dodges' are just still suffering (reputation-wise) from the years of poor structural quality...

At least the 6.4 will get a sort of clean start from some of the bad press the 6.0 has had...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Post Fiend

i agree, thats why i said "deemed junk in peoples eyes" not that they are junk, but just reputation wise they are, i like them personnely.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Elder User

wreedZ71 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Twin Turbos is the reason for buying a 6.4
Old 11-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Posting Guru

duramaximizer is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
I can't say as I see anyone looking to jump on a new or used 6.0 without first looking at the new 6.4 ............ but on the same token, I don't see people wanting to fork over tons of money on a new 6.4 esp after the 6.0 problems. Most seem to be taking a back seat "waite and see" approach. Which I don't blame them either way. It is a lot of money to spend for the body to go outdated in a few months, but it is equally as bad to see a new truck in for warranty work right away also. That is the reason I think there are a lot of Ford guys currently looking to other brands as it could be a year or two before all the hitches are out of the new 6.4 Ford.

I am not saying that the Ford 6.4 will have any problems at all. I am not saying that the new cummins or LMM version of the duramax will be bullet proof right off the bat. But given the record of the 6.0, I think people will be esp. cautious.

Buying a 6.0 and then tuning it to make up for the hp difference is not wise esp. given the reputation of the 6.0 stock. The new 6.4 assuming it was properly engineered and tested, should be built far more stout than the current 6.0 not only to make up for the old problems, but also to prevent further problems from the increased hp and tq of the new 6.4 motor and it's stricter emmisions.

People buy vehicles for a variety of reasons. Some of which are tax or finance related, some are for class, while others are for the best deal which is normally the older body styles. Some for different fuels and egr stuff as of late. As said before one man's junk is another man's treasure.

This is my .02

Last edited by duramaximizer; 11-12-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
I've said this before on other threads, but of the big three, the one that has the best chance out of the gate on getting an '07 emissions compliant motor to be reliable, is GM. The LMM will have the fewest changes as they've had most of the stuff already running on the LBZ motor (injection system, etc.).

On the part about how safe it is to chip a 6.0, that seems to be less true for the '06 and '07s with the updates to those engines...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Senior User

Stevie Ray is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it weren't for the fact that I got 0% financing on my '06 I would have probably been one of the first in line for the new '08 and the 6.4 ... just for the fact that I am now due for a new truck. I am very happy happy with my '06 and am quite sure I would have been just as happy with an '08.

Whenever the '97 F150s came out I really thought they were the ugliest trucks on the road and thought the same whenever the new '04 body style came out ... I now believe the '97-'03 F150s were some of the best looking trucks made and now believe the '04s and up are looking mighty fine, it always takes a little while for me to adjust to the new changes but I always come around.

Sorry Chevy guys ... but I *still* haven't adjusted to the looks of '03-'07 trucks, that front end and the frame rails showing under the body just ain't right to me but the new style '07s looks a little more promising.