Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1st tank of bio

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:00 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1st tank of bio

finally found bio here the in white mountains of nh.its 2.69 a gal. we seem to be last part of the country to get good stuff.
what a different this stuff made on the rattling sound the 7.3's make at idol. its a lot quitter and smoother.its only my 1st tank with only 155 miles gone through it. cant wait to see how it is after a couple tanks worth.im interested in how the fuel mileage will be. I'm getting b20 right now. what is the different compared to b100?
thanks in advance,
Ron

Old 09-25-2006, 06:55 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I havent noticed much of a difference if any between B20 and B100/ B99. It is a lot quicker to fill up with B100 because it dosent foam as much, but as far as performance and mileage B20 and B99 seam prettymuch the same to me.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
I would speculate that B100 will cause a mileage drop. I went to B40 and noticed a mileage drop. I did it with the same fuel I always use and splashed mixed the B100 in it

Old 09-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You won't notice any difference between b20 and b100, other than the fact that the gel point is noticiably higher with b100.

Mileage normally doesn't change much when you run bio compared to straight #2. However, if you have a lot of gunk in your tank, it will show up in the fuel filter. Be ready to change that out sooner than normal until the tank is clean.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:38 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

I had commercial B20 dumped in to an almost empty tank. Didn't change my mileage. However, I have had fuel that consistantly lowered my mileage which is why I prefere the splash mix method. Every time I filled up with their fuel, mileage and power dropped. Every time I went with my usual source, mileage and power increased. Did that a few times to verify before not going back to that source of fuel. That way I can control the diesel portion of the fuel to keep things as consistant as I can. Which is why I said that B40 definately dropped my mileage after a little testing.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:10 AM
adambomb
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've noticed that b100 makes my engine sound alot more quiet, and takes out that rackle and crackle out of my '99 compared to b20. MPG wise, i got my best ever after filling up with b99 and driving on a 400+ mile road trip to San Fransisco. I really like this stuff

Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested in how Aklim lost milage. Every testing and personal use with bio for me has resulted improvement. Everyone I know has a quiter engine, cleaner honey colored oil, more power and so on. This is a result of the super o2 content. You should even feel up to 4 centane higher than reg dino. Skip over to the bio section and take a read.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by kennedyford
I am interested in how Aklim lost milage. Every testing and personal use with bio for me has resulted improvement. Everyone I know has a quiter engine, cleaner honey colored oil, more power and so on. This is a result of the super o2 content. You should even feel up to 4 centane higher than reg dino. Skip over to the bio section and take a read.
Well, you run the tank till it is as empty as you can and fill up till it is so full that shaking cannot make any difference. My gauges are accurate. I just did the harpoon and hutch mod. I ran it till it was empty and some according to the gauge. There was about a quarter inch of fuel at the bottom at best. When I run the truck, I run it till it is as empty as I can get and fill it till shaking the vehicle has no effect. Take the mileage you went and devide it by the fill amount and I get mpg. I fill up say 20 gals of B100 and move over to fill up at my regular diesel stop and dump in say 25 gals of regular diesel. That gives me about B44 or I round it off to B40. Cruise with empty or a load and get the mileage. Did the same on the car and get about 1-2 mpg less overall. Run it till it is about empty, fill up on regular and get mpg. Fill up with this mix and recalculate.

Maybe I am not getting as good biodiesel as some others. Not sure. I know that in town I can get a fuel from a certain place and power and mileage will consistantly drop and hence I avoid that place.

It didn't make sense to me till I read up on the biodiesel site and found that B100 was less energetic than D2. Seems to me like it would be in their best interests to state it has as much BTU as D2 and I can't see any reason why they would say it wasn't unless they are being truthful. Kinda like a Ford dealership owner saying that Chevy has a better product.

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/BTU_Content_Final_Oct2005.pdf

According to the wife, B20 gives it a more refined sound. My mileage on B20 didn't make a difference one way or the other. Sometimes I picked up a tenth and sometimes lost a couple of tenths. Too ambigious to state that there is a loss or gain. Never checked as far as the oil went. Maybe someday I will. Starting seems to not make a difference at all.

Last edited by aklim; 09-25-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 AM
rusty350250
Senior User
as for checked millage i haven't cheked to see if there is a difference but as a person who is real good with the throttle i notice a power drop with b20 in my tank, it seems to take more throttle to do the same thing as d2. the only b20 i can get is red hawk premium b20. i use it everynow and them for the lube qualities but it is 40 miles away so i only use it when i am in the area

Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's possible to lose mileage. On average, most people tend to keep about the same mileage, but there are variances. Bio has less BTU's than #2, but a higher cetane rating. Depending on the quality fuel you were getting with regular diesel will determine if you improve or lose mileage when switching to bio.

Me personally, I saw almost no difference in mileage when running Bio compared to #2. I've also run everything from B2 to B100, most of the time staying with B20. I prefer to run bio over #2 simply because of the solvent effect on my fuel system, quieter injectors, and better smelling exhaust. Unfortunately where I live now, it's too far of a drive to get it.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

As to the solvent effect, I would probably run a tank thru say every year or so just to keep things clean. My truck has 70K and when I did the hutch and harpoon mod I noticed it was clean as a whistle. Except for the filters, that is. Those were filthy and crudded up. Well, no more on that. All filters removed and plumbed into a 4 micron filter.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I cant argue with others about their truck and how it runs so here is what I know.

Higher cetane rating, burns consistantly down the cylinder therfore increasing power and reducing the normal diesel sound.

Possibilities---California facility was recently found to be producing sub-par biodiesel. Test showed incomplete reactions, soap and glycering contaminations as well as water.

Most of us producing our own or have used homemade have a product that is far superior to mass produced factories that have no experience in the fine art. For anyone that is interested here is the formula as described to me by the one and only Fabman on our bio forum. I have made several trips and phone calls to this very knowledgeable individual who is hellbend on GIVING this information to all farmers, co-ops and anyone else willing to go to the hardware store and buy the supplies.

Formula goes as followed---for every 25 gallons of veggie oil

25gal of veggie heated to 150 degrees
seperate mix
5 gal of methanol
3lbs of Kaoh aka Potassium hydroxide

mix two for 1/2 to 1 hour...do not breath do not touch and its as flamable as gasoline

add mixture to oil and mix for 1 hour then pull to holding tank and let settle

That is the basics, were using vacuum motors from freezers, pumps from http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1479 and barrels and totes. My original calculations were 74 cents a gallon but firerooster says that methanol prices have gone up.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Higher cetane rating, burns consistantly down the cylinder therfore increasing power and reducing the normal diesel sound.

Possibilities---California facility was recently found to be producing sub-par biodiesel. Test showed incomplete reactions, soap and glycering contaminations as well as water.
Maybe what you produce at home has higher energy ratings? Could higher cetane numbers give more power when the energy content is lower?

Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
KennedyFord: Possibilities---California facility was recently found to be producing sub-par biodiesel. Test showed incomplete reactions, soap and glycering contaminations as well as water.
Hey, do you have any more info regarding this. I live in California and have been mostly getting my bio from a Spirt Truck Stop. I would like to know where you found this info and what suppliers it effected. I would hate to be filling with sub-par BIO .

Old 09-25-2006, 03:14 PM
knight60626
Senior User
Some observations I have made Regarding Bio.

I have been using bio for about 2 years now mostly B20 to B10 and I see the discussions about mileage either going up down or staying the same.

B100 Flows very nice little foam but B10 and B20 Actually from my observation flow a little more foamy, Now when I do my Mileage I know I am dead on right why? Well I fill it to the rim so to say, Yes I actually am the guy sitting there for the extra 3-4 mins at the pump slowly filling my tank to very top.
I can get another 3-4 gallons into my tank if I fill it slow my advertised tank size is 18 I have gotten 21.5 gallons in there when I was almost dead empty.

Ok what does this have to do with mileage ok if the foaming while fueling your tank does not allow you to get a accurate reading of how much fuel you put in then your data is flawed.

Lets say Monday truck full with Reg diesel then 300 miles later you fill up with the foamy Bio diesel lets say it takes 18 gallons to fill it up great the mileage on the regular diesel now is 16.6 MPG. Now with the bio in the tank you get to 260 on the odometer and its time to fill up you fill up with say reg again now because your like WTH I get 300 to a tank, So now its 21 gallons of Reg diesel later and now the mileage drops to 12.42. Seeing this I would stop using the stuff also.

I had a friend tell me that after running bio that his truck went way down in mileage I mean way down, then after convincing him to do a comparison by filling all the way to the top he saw the light truck ran quieter and he did notice a small mileage increase.

So before you going tearing down the motor or changing filters and oil and all just be sure your data is as accurate as can be.

I know a very long post but I just got to rambling I guess.